+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crewe 2 Vale 2

Crewe 2 Vale 2

I thought someone would have posted by now and so I will post my thoughts on the game..

No rain, overcast and quite mild and playing surface seemed in good condition. Good crowd, about 6800 was it that was announced. Best of the season. Over 2400 Vale fans very vocal and so great atmosphere as expected.

We scored within six minutes when their goalie fumbled the ball and left Wintle an easy header past him into the net and we then shortly after, the goalie did much the same thing and we had another chance to score and the GK went to pieces, confidence shot and he then booted the ball into the main stand and some think he feigned an injury to get off asap and so he did to be replaced by a youngish keeper. He did OK afterwards actually apart from the 93rd minute. I felt sorry for the first GK tbh. Not nice to see..

We perhaps controlled the game for about 35 minutes until they got a penalty and it seemed an obvious decision where I was and Popey placed a near perfect pen to Ben's left and gave him no chance. Up to then don't think they came anywhere close to scoring of shooting at our goal. I thought we were OK and they were poor up to then. However that changed the whole game for me as they gained in confidence and we were on the back foot for perhaps most of the game afterwards imo and we didn't create that much in the second half. Some think we should have been two or three up at HT though.

In the second half they then scored a peach of a goal from 25 yards that went in off the post and no real surprise to me. We then had a great chance to equalise as Bowery was six yards out and just the keeper to beat and he lashed at the ball so hard it ended up on Nantwich Road and thought he may or imo should have been subbed at that point. After DA made two subs with about 25 mins to go, we did start to create a bit more and thought we were headed for a 2-1 defeat with many ready on the concourse to leave and we got a great goal in the 94th minute with some neat passing to Kirk who took his chance brilliantly to slot the ball past the Vale Keeper. And the main stand went wild as though we had won the game and shows how much this fixture meant to us...

There was a very heavy police presence around Gresty Road and Nantwich Road and there was a little bit of a fans invasion on the pitch and indeed ours did too after Kirk scored. Nothing bad though.

2-2 was a very fair result imo as having one half each. Others may see it differently. We both live to fight another day next season imo.
    Last edited by MikeSB; 02-04-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    I thought someone would have posted by now and so I will post my thoughts on the game..

No rain, overcast and quite mild and playing surface seemed in good condition. Good crowd, about 6800 was it that was announced. Best of the season. Over 2400 Vale fans very vocal and so great atmosphere as expected.

We scored within six minutes when their goalie fumbled the ball and left Wintle an easy header past him into the net and we then shortly after, the goalie did much the same thing and we had another chance to score and the GK went to pieces, confidence shot and he then booted the ball into the main stand and some think he feigned an injury to get off asap and so he did to be replaced by a youngish keeper. He did OK afterwards actually apart from the 93rd minute. I felt sorry for the first GK tbh. Not nice to see..

We perhaps controlled the game for about 35 minutes until they got a penalty and it seemed an obvious decision where I was and Popey placed a near perfect pen to Ben's left and gave him no chance. Up to then don't think they came anywhere close to scoring of shooting at our goal. I thought we were OK and they were poor up to then. However that changed the whole game for me as they gained in confidence and we were on the back foot for perhaps most of the game afterwards imo and we didn't create that much in the second half. Some think we should have been two or three up at HT though.

In the second half they then scored a peach of a goal from 25 yards that went in off the post and no real surprise to me. We then had a great chance to equalise as Bowery was six yards out and just the keeper to beat and he lashed at the ball so hard it ended up on Nantwich Road and thought he may or imo should have been subbed at that point. After DA made two subs with about 25 mins to go, we did start to create a bit more and thought we were headed for a 2-1 defeat with many ready on the concourse to leave and we got a great goal in the 94th minute with some neat passing to Kirk who took his chance brilliantly to slot the ball past the Vale Keeper. And the main stand went wild as though we had won the game and shows how much this fixture meant to us...

There was a very heavy police presence around Gresty Road and Nantwich Road and there was a little bit of a fans invasion on the pitch and indeed ours did too after Kirk scored. Nothing bad though.

2-2 was a very fair result imo as having one half each. Others may see it differently. We both live to fight another day next season imo.
    No rain? It was persisting for most of the afternoon. That fine rain that soaks you through!!

One half each? I certainly do see it differently. Assume that you think the first half was ours?
    Second half, I thought possession and 'territory ' were slightly in our favour. Apart from a wonder strike, I can only recall them having One other shot, and that went over the bar. They didn't create a chance in the whole game. To be fair, we didn't create many.
    So, for me, with the comments re possession and territory and the chances created, we won the second half too.
    Others may see it differently!

Timmy I didn't see any rain until right near the end of the game.

Jimmy, no probs we all see games differently..The first half was definitely ours and they showed more urgency after they scored. Scrappy game and not a lot of quality on show. Artell took the best player off ie Ainley.

Anyone want to see the goals...taken off the Vale fans site...Courtesy of Sky Sports. Jiggle about a bit to see them..

http://www.skysports.com/football/cr...rt-vale/374552

The GK will have nightmares with that one...
    Last edited by MikeSB; 02-04-2018 at 09:35 PM.

A fair summary of what happened during the match, but I thought we had more quality than Vale for the most part and the substitutions made by Dave certainly had the desired effect. As for taking Ainley off, yes he had been our most creative front player, especially in the first half when he was running past them, but this happened less frequently as the match progressed. I thought two fresh pairs of legs to run past their ageing midfield and at their somewhat cumbersome back 4 was exactly the right thing to do, and proved a master stroke. The same couldn’t be said of his charge down the line and subsequent invitation to sit a little further back for the last minute or two! Gotta love him for it though.

2 other points. As Dave said in his post match interview, nice to have a ref who controlled the game without being fussy, played advantage and, until the last minute handbags, kept the whole thing bubbling along so that commitment didn’t spill over into anything more sinister. OK, he made the odd mistake, but nothing as catastrophic as some of those in red or white (or yellow!)

Secondly, disgraceful report in the Sun online tonight (don’t ask, I was just googling the match) saying that there was a mass brawl on the pitch with arrests - made it sound like the 70s had landed in Gresty Road! Great to hear Phil Sproson’s take on the pitch ‘invasions’ on the radio. As he said, it was a local derby, fans were exuberant and it was good to see it after the season that both clubs have had. Perspective from a Vale legend - well done that man.

Vale had 2225, so a really good home crowd.

100% their cup final. They love a trip to Cheshire.

Rained a lot Mike.

Vale were so very poor <hoof to Pope>, shame we have to overcome 2 goals each game

I thought we made a lot of chances. Had 2 good ones after goal 1 and a very good one on stroke of HT. Green had 2 in 2nd half, Nolan was very unlucky, Bowery super blaster, McKirdy could have fed Green etc.
    Last edited by Proggs; 03-04-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs View Post
    Vale had 2225, so a really good home crowd.

100% their cup final. They love a trip to Cheshire.

Rained a lot Mike.

Vale were so very poor <hoof to Pope>, shame we have to overcome 2 goals each game

I thought we made a lot of chances. Had 2 good ones after goal 1 and a very good one on stroke of HT. Green had 2 in 2nd half, Nolan was very unlucky, Bowery super blaster, McKirdy could have fed Green etc.
    We were ****, you were ****, roll on the end of the season.

Always amuses when people try to make out the game isn’t as important for them. I presume you celebrate drawing every game with a pitch invasion.

Always amuses when people try to make out the game isn’t as important for them. I presume you celebrate drawing every game with a pitch invasion.[/QUOTE]

Can we also presume that you VFIP go on the message boards of the other 22 teams in the division, I think not. Can you take a hint?

Quote Originally Posted by valefaninpeace View Post
    We were ****, you were ****, roll on the end of the season.

Always amuses when people try to make out the game isn’t as important for them. I presume you celebrate drawing every game with a pitch invasion.
    Hi VFIP, how are you?

I don't think we were ***** at all. We were quality for 35, had a quality move on 45 and ended the last 15 quality too. Our problem is a) not putting it to bed, b) can't defend and c) we dropped our level too easily after 35 mins, d) we keep gifting goals to the opposition (3 pens in 2 games).

I think you played to your strength, Pope, but what is plan b? 11 was good I thought.

Ability wise CAFC were better all over the pitch, equaliser as a good eg.

I think we celebrated like that at Stevenage and Lincoln - more relief than anything, AND with the bile being chanted it made it sweeter to hit you where it hurts.

Personally me dislike for Vale comes from their arrogance as a 'bigger club' but stats don't bare it out, nor does league position. Yes we are a tinpot ****ty little club and town - but what is Vale and Burslum? Vale are just a nothing like us, but have to live in the Shadow cast by the bet 365 stadium - we don't. That's Vale's real problem

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs View Post
    Hi VFIP, how are you?

I don't think we were ***** at all. We were quality for 35, had a quality move on 45 and ended the last 15 quality too. Our problem is a) not putting it to bed, b) can't defend and c) we dropped our level too easily after 35 mins, d) we keep gifting goals to the opposition (3 pens in 2 games).

I think you played to your strength, Pope, but what is plan b? 11 was good I thought.

Ability wise CAFC were better all over the pitch, equaliser as a good eg.

I think we celebrated like that at Stevenage and Lincoln - more relief than anything, AND with the bile being chanted it made it sweeter to hit you where it hurts.

Personally me dislike for Vale comes from their arrogance as a 'bigger club' but stats don't bare it out, nor does league position. Yes we are a tinpot ****ty little club and town - but what is Vale and Burslum? Vale are just a nothing like us, but have to live in the Shadow cast by the bet 365 stadium - we don't. That's Vale's real problem
    Will have to disagree. We have possibly the worst squad we have ever had in my lifetime, and so snatching a late draw against us doesn’t make you anything but equally poor. I think the op had the fairest assessment to be honest. One half each.
    Just watched the highlights of your draw with Stevenage and the celebrations are nothing like it. What you say is just not true. A Handful of fans run up to the barrier as opposed to a pitch invasion and the manager running onto the pitch.
    As for arrogance, the ‘better than everyone else’ arrogance from Crewe fans more than matches any vale fan arrogance.
    Personally I’d say the stats do stand up though. 43 seasons I second tier and 44 in third tier. But you’re right, currently both a ****e and that’s what matters.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast