+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Senior players

Senior players

Chris Sutton on Sky said the senior players at West Brom since Pardew has arrived as Manager have been a disgrace and have got him the sack.

Can’t stand Sutton personally but for once I have to agree with him.

As I said in a recent post it beggars belief that we have managed to lose 8 PL games on the trot, especially given the opposition. The players have not only let Pardew down but have let us down totally. Multi millionaires who think they are a lot better than they are. Most of them can go for me and good ridance!

Can't argue with any of that, but after picking Evans, Livermore and Barry for the side after the Barcelona incident, Pardew showed them what a soft touch he was.
    Hammond needs to go as well as he couldn't spot a prostitute in a brothel.

I’ve been reminiscing on things recently and making comparison between the various players who are standing on the shoulders of some of the guys who got us to the premiership.
    Ill just single two players out. Horsfield and Mat Phillips
    One who was not the quickest, had quite limited skill but made the most of his strengths. He was never intimidated by the superior opposition and relished the pressure of big games. Wore the shirt with pride.
    The others fragile confidence, and self-belief makes him unreliable at best and a liability under any sort of pressure. Easily distracted and has a glass body

worst captain in our recent history is Evans

To be honest, I can see both sides. But I wouldn't exactly say all senior players have let Pardew down...

According to reports today, Pardew roasted the younger players in the squad like Field and Burke. He came in and said from day one, he would pick experience over youth and he has. He said he would play more attacking and he has tried to. But he has been tactically inept, we lost at home to Huddersfield and Southampton, both teams we could realistically go down with, because we were out run in the middle of the pitch. If I can see that from the stands, why couldn't he?

The Barcelona trip was crazy, just plain crazy. Considering we had a game on the Monday and one on the Saturday - why would you ever go to Barcelona Tue-Fri?? Again, according to reports, Pardew had his wallet stolen at 3am on the first night there and the players did all of 3 hours of training. Is that how you would prepare a side for a big match on the Saturday? And then, his most senior players stole a taxi, and he played them in the following game.

Some senior players can go now. Barry, Livermore etc. Get out of my club, you're a waste of space.

But other Senior players care immensely for the club. Brunt openly criticised the manager's tactics and let off steam at players who weren't cutting it. I think Dawson has been immense for us since he broke into the side. Even Johnny Evans, up to this season has been a quality buy and he didn't throw his toys out of the pram when bigger clubs came knocking, something 95% of other players would be doing. Yes his form has dipped since Xmas, but look at our tactics since Pardew has been here...

Pardew's tried nothing different. He's constantly tried to play higher up the park with 2 strikers, and we don't have the players to do that. And he has frozen out youth. Arguably one of our better players this season has been Sam Field, and its been criminal to only start him once since Pardew arrived, and that was away to Man City!

Pardew has no sympathy from me, had he not had such a big pay off he would have gone a long time ago. He, along with Pulis, along with Williams/Hammond have played a key role where we are now. And yes, some of the senior players have not been good enough and their attitude and the incidents have been downright wrong, but don't tarnish all of the senior players with the same brush. Some of them are the reason we've had 8 years in the prem...

Not a long list though is it 123.

Brunty, definitely agree with your comment, although I suspect many on here wouldn’t, that he is one of the reasons we have been in the PL for 8 years. Evans, mixed reception and certainly has not been the player he was since Christmas. Has he let Pardew down or just lost form. Antics in Barcelona seem to be out of character and for me one who has not put the shifts in for Pardew. He still picks up significant wages, and not sure he stands up to close scrutiny that he is one of the reasons we have been in the PL for 8 years, although I think he was a great signing.

Agree Dawson has been immense but for me I still don’t see him as one of the senior players, although hopefully he will be once we have had the big clear out in the summer. Definitely given his all for the shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    Not a long list though is it 123.

Brunty, definitely agree with your comment, although I suspect many on here wouldn’t, that he is one of the reasons we have been in the PL for 8 years. Evans, mixed reception and certainly has not been the player he was since Christmas. Has he let Pardew down or just lost form. Antics in Barcelona seem to be out of character and for me one who has not put the shifts in for Pardew. He still picks up significant wages, and not sure he stands up to close scrutiny that he is one of the reasons we have been in the PL for 8 years, although I think he was a great signing.

Agree Dawson has been immense but for me I still don’t see him as one of the senior players, although hopefully he will be once we have had the big clear out in the summer. Definitely given his all for the shirt.
    How about Foster, Yacob and McCauley? They're solid pros. I'd also throw Morrison into that mix, I know I'll get derided for it because he's hardly kicked a ball for us this season but he's been a good servant and he's a good character to have in the dressing room.

Agree with you 123, 100%. Foster, Dawson, McCauley, Brunt, Morrison, Yacob have given their all for the Albion over the years. I would add Rondon, McLean and Nyom to that list as you can't accuse them of not putting in the effort, if over a shorter period. There are others who you could accuse of not putting in the required effort though.

It’s an ambiguous expression “Senior players” Was Chris Sutton referring to the higher paid personnel ? The terminology means little to me. I prefer to reward those committed guys and indeed I accept there may well be a lack of quality, but more spirit and concern for the Club.
    The following fall within this category...
    Foster, Nyom, Macca, Dawson, Yacob, Brunt, Mozza, McClean, Robson-Kanu, Rondon, Burke, Jay, and Field. Possibly Gibbo & Leko.
    Not a bad championship side methinks!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)