+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Andy Cole

Quote Originally Posted by AP69 View Post
    It will always be the Leicester 7-1
    The ground was at 1 that day
    Two open ends but the noise we made with the Andy Cole song
    25 frickin years man

One club
    Ha ha...was going to mention that song. I think every single (Newcastle) fan was singing that song. Lush, hot day-literally dancing in the stands.

Only Barca matched it for me

Aye-although that was as much incredulous as it was celebratory!

I'll never forget the day we sold him. I was taking my bairn to nursery and a lad I knew, who was also an avid Newcastle fan shouted, " what do you think about that, eh?".....I said " what do I think about what?"....he said " haven't you put the news on or the radio?" I said " no, why....tell me."
    He says: "Andy Cole's been sold to Man Utd."

I went numb.
    I dropped the bairn off and went back home, numb.
    My wife still remembers it perfectly well to this day in how I was when I got back home.

She said it looked like I'd been given the devastating news of someone close dying.
    I remember thinking exactly like that.
    Took me ages to get my head around that.

Remember it well what a shock,I think Keegan was hoping to get Sir Les before the end of the season and Cole had missed games with Shin splints.Keegan had watched Sir Les rip us apart earlier that season and wanted him I think because he needed less support than Cole.
    I remember that lad who had just got a full length tattoo of Cole on his leg a week or so before he was sold,now that was a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I'll never forget the day we sold him. I was taking my bairn to nursery and a lad I knew, who was also an avid Newcastle fan shouted, " what do you think about that, eh?".....I said " what do I think about what?"....he said " haven't you put the news on or the radio?" I said " no, why....tell me."
    He says: "Andy Cole's been sold to Man Utd."

I went numb.
    I dropped the bairn off and went back home, numb.
    My wife still remembers it perfectly well to this day in how I was when I got back home.

She said it looked like I'd been given the devastating news of someone close dying.
    I remember thinking exactly like that.
    Took me ages to get my head around that.
    Exactly how I felt. The mackems can bang on all they like about how they perceive the 6 in a row/relegating us hurt but Cole leaving was much worse and hurt for much longer than any derby defeat. Just loved the exhilaration and anticipation of going to the match and expecting to win with Cole scoring, (and 9/10 it/he did) then later on in the season hoping and praying he would beat Hughie's record. You can have superb players all over the pitch but when you have a striker like him it just makes things extra special.
    Last edited by kingstonbob; 07-04-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingstonbob View Post
    Exactly how I felt. The mackems can bang on all they like about how they perceive the 6 in a row/relegating us hurt but Cole leaving was much worse and hurt for much longer than any derby defeat. Just loved the exhilaration and anticipation of going to the match and expecting to win with Cole scoring, (and 9/10 it/he did) then later on in the season hoping and praying he would beat Hughie's record. You can have superb players all over the pitch but when you have a striker like him it just makes things extra special.
    Yep, I remember walking about with a big smile on my face when we won and he scored with my friends who supported other teams making him a large point of their weekly conversation.
    Telling me how quick he was which you could only really fully appreciate if you were at the match and realised he was faster than he looked on TV, which was as fast as hell, anyway.

That goal he scored against Chelsea's Dmitri Kharine and the way Kharine was left on his knee in a stunned "what just happened" face...just one of many fantastic memories of Cole.

Keegan coming to the steps to try and appease the fans, which, in a way he did with what happened next and also I think most of us knew the writing was on the wall when Cole was complaining of shin splints and basically went right off the boil.

It was still a massive shock though, regardless.

Yeah special days man coal the goal was ace
    So raw but so powerful and clinical

Don’t want to take anything away from him but would he have scored as many without Pedro behind him loading the bullets??

Two awesome players to have up top

I know it’s been a while
    But no one can take those memories away.
    We have truly been blessed.

That goal he scored against Chelsea's Dmitri Kharine and the way Kharine was left on his knee in a stunned "what just happened" face...just one of many fantastic memories of Cole.

That's exactly the one that came to mind when I was writing the thread. Was more or less in line with us when he hit it and everyone was like 'wow'!

I think most of us knew the writing was on the wall when Cole was complaining of shin splints and basically went right off the boil.
    I remember leaving some matches confused, thinking that it looked like Cole wasn't really trying but telling meself 'nah, that couldn't be the case, must be something else'. When he went it started to make sense.

Was gutted when he left but it's funny how little things can stick in your mind and affect you in a much bigger way than maybe they should. Seeing him sing that song at Wembley calling Keegan a sad Geordie b....(Yeah, I know my language is shocking but I'm not finishing that phrase ) means that whenever I hear/see him on radio/tv I think 'aahh, Andy Cole, happy days....what a fucking wanker.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)