+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Ratings vs Coventry

Match Ratings vs Coventry

Great stuff. That felt like a game from the first half of the season. Feared the worst when they equalised against the run of play, but the fighting spirit we saw August-December reared its head again and justice was served. All of a sudden, there is hope again.

Collin - 6 - Handling good and distribution was better (he’d clearly been told to speed-up, which was pleasing) but felt he could’ve done better with the initial shot just before the goal. If he parries that away properly it doesn’t come back. Can’t remember him having another save to make, which is testament to those in-front of him.

Tootle - 7 - Very commited and solid defensively, and good in possession. Probably just edges it for Player of the Season IMO.

Duffy - 9* - Wow. I’m by no means a Duffy fan but hats off today - I can’t ever remember seeing him have a better game. Positioning was spot-on throughout, he dealt with everything that came his way and was calm in possession. Classy move to hand the armband straight to O’Connor, too.

Brisley - 7.5 - A dominant presence in both boxes. Very strong throughout. As good as Hall is, he shouldn’t be dropped again.

Jones - 6 - Poor first half where he regularly lost possession and all of their threat came down his side. Stuck to his task and improved after the break.

Virtue - 7 - Is the complete opposite of most Prem loanees in that he gives absolutely everything, never stops running, but lacks quality and composure on the ball. His best display for us and gamely stuck to the task throughout but still a bit cumbersome at times. Fair play though; confidence will obviously have taken a battering the past three matches.

Hewitt - 8 - Very much of the Bishop/Ravenhill L2 midfielder school of doing most of his best work off the ball. Has a healthy knack of being in the right place at the right time and produced a number of crucial interceptions and tackles, at least two of which prevented clear chances. One of the few I’d have no qualms with starting next season in the team, whatever league we’re in.

Noble - 7 - Got a rough deal today; didn’t look much in his yellow (which they wanted a red for) - actually thought it was a foul on him from Doyle - and seemed to pull out for the challenge where he seemed destined to get a second yellow. Right decision to take him off though and probably should’ve happened earlier. Like Hewitt, did all of the messy stuff brilliantly.

Grant - 8 - Put in a real shift for the team regularly tracking one of the best attacking RBs in the league. Brilliant corner for the goal and very unlucky with his volley which hit the post at 1-0. Great all-round performance.

Ameobi - 7.5 - Touch was on-point today, brought everything together. Had to content with all-manner of off-the-ball tricks from the loathsome Doyle - given free rein by the ref - which hampered him on the high balls. Partnership with Forte looks a natural fit; have they ever even played together before?!

Forte - 9 - Now that is how you prove a point. The continual frustration with Forte is that he actually fits naturally with Nolan’s direct playing style; just with his pace and movement, they have to defend deeper - the otherwise aimless channel balls force at least a throw-in and the ball generally doesn’t bounce back quickly. Why hasn’t he played more!? Two good, very different, finishes for the goals and pretty much all of our attacking threat seemed to come through him. Simply has to start the remaining fixtures. Convinced had he had the starts Stead has he’d have at least 20 goals for the season.

O’Connor - 7 - Great to see him back. Provided a calm head at a time it was very much needed.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Great stuff. That felt like a game from the first half of the season. Feared the worst when they equalised against the run of play, but the fighting spirit we saw August-December reared its head again and justice was served. All of a sudden, there is hope again.

Collin - 6 - Handling good and distribution was better (he’d clearly been told to speed-up, which was pleasing) but felt he could’ve done better with the initial shot just before the goal. If he parries that away properly it doesn’t come back. Can’t remember him having another save to make, which is testament to those in-front of him.

Tootle - 7 - Very commited and solid defensively, and good in possession. Probably just edges it for Player of the Season IMO.

Duffy - 9* - Wow. I’m by no means a Duffy fan but hats off today - I can’t ever remember seeing him have a better game. Positioning was spot-on throughout, he dealt with everything that came his way and was calm in possession. Classy move to hand the armband straight to O’Connor, too.

Brisley - 7.5 - A dominant presence in both boxes. Very strong throughout. As good as Hall is, he shouldn’t be dropped again.

Jones - 6 - Poor first half where he regularly lost possession and all of their threat came down his side. Stuck to his task and improved after the break.

Virtue - 7 - Is the complete opposite of most Prem loanees in that he gives absolutely everything, never stops running, but lacks quality and composure on the ball. His best display for us and gamely stuck to the task throughout but still a bit cumbersome at times. Fair play though; confidence will obviously have taken a battering the past three matches.

Hewitt - 8 - Very much of the Bishop/Ravenhill L2 midfielder school of doing most of his best work off the ball. Has a healthy knack of being in the right place at the right time and produced a number of crucial interceptions and tackles, at least two of which prevented clear chances. One of the few I’d have no qualms with starting next season in the team, whatever league we’re in.

Noble - 7 - Got a rough deal today; didn’t look much in his yellow (which they wanted a red for) - actually thought it was a foul on him from Doyle - and seemed to pull out for the challenge where he seemed destined to get a second yellow. Right decision to take him off though and probably should’ve happened earlier. Like Hewitt, did all of the messy stuff brilliantly.

Grant - 8 - Put in a real shift for the team regularly tracking one of the best attacking RBs in the league. Brilliant corner for the goal and very unlucky with his volley which hit the post at 1-0. Great all-round performance.

Ameobi - 7.5 - Touch was on-point today, brought everything together. Had to content with all-manner of off-the-ball tricks from the loathsome Doyle - given free rein by the ref - which hampered him on the high balls. Partnership with Forte looks a natural fit; have they ever even played together before?!

Forte - 9 - Now that is how you prove a point. The continual frustration with Forte is that he actually fits naturally with Nolan’s direct playing style; just with his pace and movement, they have to defend deeper - the otherwise aimless channel balls force at least a throw-in and the ball generally doesn’t bounce back quickly. Why hasn’t he played more!? Two good, very different, finishes for the goals and pretty much all of our attacking threat seemed to come through him. Simply has to start the remaining fixtures. Convinced had he had the starts Stead has he’d have at least 20 goals for the season.

O’Connor - 7 - Great to see him back. Provided a calm head at a time it was very much needed.

We won...10 out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    We won...10 out of 10
    Is there any chance you can ever post anything worth reading? From freemuzzys excellent and well explained post we go to your moronic 10/10 post. A few people who can't get to games rely on these sort of posts to try and get a balanced view of what actually happened, and the more opinions offered the more balanced the view. Saying "We won...10 out of 10" is just the same as saying "We lost...0 out of 10". It adds nothing. Rate the players on an individual basis and your thoughts will be taken into account, although I realise that would take more than one line, so is probably beyond you. Anyway, here are my ratings:

Collin 6 - Had surprisingly little to do in the way of saves, but generally looked assured.
    Tootle 6.5 - Most of their attacks were on the other side, but played his part in a sound defence.
    Duffy 8.5* - Excellent, led like a captain should and didn't put a foot wrong. Held us together at the back.
    Brisley 7 - As usual kept things simple, good in our box and good in theirs.
    Jones 5.5 - The one weak link in the side. Far too hesitant and struggled to contain the threat they offered on our left.
    Virtue 7 - Nothing spectacular, but worked hard and got into some excellent forward positions that we didn't really utilise.
    Hewitt 7 - Did what he's there to do, gave us that crucial physical presence in midfield.
    Noble 6 - Not a lot worked for him today but got stuck in.
    Grant 6 - Poor in the first half, but stuck at it and played his part even though his best bits were defensively.
    Forte 7.5 - The Forte we want to see. Looked up for it and made the most of his chances. Just keep it going.
    Ameobi 6.5 - Made sure their defenders didn't have an easy afternoon, should have done better with the chance he had.

O'Connor - no rating, but great to see him back. No time to make a big impression, but a really good bit of keeping possession late on just when we needed it. It's a big ask, but I think he might still play a part this season.
    Hall n/a, but a good substitution when they were throwing high balls into the box.

Absolutely buzzing tonight. This was the sort of game that could have gone either way but we were back to the Notts we saw in the first half of the season where guts, effort and desire (a massive plus in a tight League 2) meant that we won more games of this type than we lost. Just keep it going lads, if we make the playoffs you will have done yourselves credit as a team.
    Last edited by Elite_Pie; 07-04-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Is there any chance you can ever post anything worth reading? From freemuzzys excellent and well explained post we go to your moronic 10/10 post. A few people who can't get to games rely on these sort of posts to try and get a balanced view of what actually happened, and the more opinions offered the more balanced the view. Saying "We won...10 out of 10" is just the same as saying "We lost...0 out of 10". It adds nothing. Rate the players on an individual basis and your thoughts will be taken into account, although I realise that would take more than one line, so is probably beyond you. Anyway, here are my ratings:

Collin 6 - Had surprisingly little to do in the way of saves, but generally looked assured.
    Tootle 6.5 - Most of their attacks were on the other side, but played his part in a sound defence.
    Duffy 8.5* - Excellent, led like a captain should and didn't put a foot wrong. Held us together at the back.
    Brisley 7 - As usual kept things simple, good in our box and good in theirs.
    Jones 5.5 - The one weak link in the side. Far too hesitant and struggled to contain the threat they offered on our left.
    Virtue 7 - Nothing spectacular, but worked hard and got into some excellent forward positions that we didn't really utilise.
    Hewitt 7 - Did what he's there to do, gave us that crucial physical presence in midfield.
    Noble 6 - Not a lot worked for him today but got stuck in.
    Grant 6 - Poor in the first half, but stuck at it and played his part even though his best bits were defensively.
    Forte 7.5 - The Forte we want to see. Looked up for it and made the most of his chances. Just keep it going.
    Ameobi 6.5 - Made sure their defenders didn't have an easy afternoon, should have done better with the chance he had.

O'Connor - no rating, but great to see him back. No time to make a big impression, but a really good bit of keeping possession late on just when we needed it. It's a big ask, but I think he might still play a part this season.
    Hall n/a, but a good substitution when they were throwing high balls into the box.

Absolutely buzzing tonight. This was the sort of game that could have gone either way but we were back to the Notts we saw in the first half of the season where guts, effort and desire (a massive plus in a tight League 2) meant that we won more games of this type than we lost. Just keep it going lads, if we make the playoffs you will have done yourselves credit as a team.
    Spot on Elite and thanks for the reqular updates from you lot. Sucker Man contributes zero to this board it is just a shame there isn't an ignore button. BTW I might beat you in an onion growing competition this year.

People with a post count of 10 or less have had more meaningful contributions than soccerman. 30,000 plus posts, amazing really.

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    People with a post count of 10 or less have had more meaningful contributions than soccerman. 30,000 plus posts, amazing really.

Mwah xxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    Quite right, but I still admire Soccerman in a bizarre sort of way. You can't deny that he is diehard Notts and just like me I'm sure he will support the club until his last breath, but his messageboard contributions are beyond laughable. In keeping with his political views he will never, ever criticise Notts County or the Conservative party, even when there are obvious wrongs. Everything either of them do is always beyond reproach. All we get is very boring platitudes and juvenile stereotypes which mean absolutely nothing. I would much rather have a rational opinion on the good and bad, but he only ever sees one side.

Freemuzzy and Elite’s ratings excellent. The first half was really dreadful, and all round Cov were one of the worst sides I’ve seen this season.

Been said elsewhere, but the second half was much more like earlier on this season. If Grant’s effort had gone in I really think we’d have taken them to the cleaners.

Sorry, no ratings, Duffy and Super Jonny Forte men of the match.

I love Maggie Thatcher ����

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    I love Maggie Thatcher ����
    Ugh! You had to go and spoil it

I was just gonna thank freemuzzy and Elite and mention that I'm one who always reads these ratings threads from afar with great interest - and say that Soccerman's bulletproof never-say-die-black-and-white attitude is what's helped the club survive for so long. I wish there were more of that personally.

But less of the I'm alright, Jack thatch****sim. Still, none of us is perfick.

On another note, great to see Meadow Lane rocking this season! I don't know how Hardy done it - free skoolkids aren't a new thing - but I like it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast