+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our best strikers debate

Our best strikers debate

This is one of our most difficult and annoying debates I know, but can we look at this again tonight ?.
    Ive mentioned this on the Rotherham board and Animal has also made his point, so I wanted to bring it up again on here.
    I admit Ive always stuck up for the strikers who have scored goals for us, regardless of their talent and effort, or lack of it as well!. And a certain Daniel Nardiello springs to mind here in what was a successful relegation escape act.
    Back in those days I didnt rate strikers like Marc Richards and Tommy Wright for example, because they just didnt get the goals despite their effort. And Im sure this debate will always run on here.

You want to know who our best strikers are who have worn the shirt right ???

Hmm , possibly the best at actually putting the ball in the net is Sam Winnall , check the games to goal ratio , it's incredible .

Best all round game is Ashley Ward , without doubt , had it all .

To get you THE GOALS , when it maters then it's John Hendrie with Nardiello not too far behind .

SKILL and star quality then David Currie is your man , at times the lad was on another planet with the ability he had .

Mention's in despstches for Trevor Aylott , Derrick Parker , Dave Geddis and Stevie Cooper , Mick Butler and Brian Joicey .

Err yes I wouldnt disagree with messrs Aylott, Ward, Currie, Geddis, & Hendrie etc. Im also trying to ask the question as to whether we as fans look at goals over everything else.
    I think because of our lack of goalscoring talent right now, thats why Im saying Im impressed with the effort this time from Moore etc.

I never really look at goals as a guide to judge the ability of a striker. You can't always purely judge them on that. Team formations can play a part in how a striker can fare. If you look at Bradshaw this season then he's been up there on his Todd trying to fight a losing battle. Bradshaw isn't built for the lone striker role. He doesn't have the attributes to hold the ball up properly or win Ariel battles in the centre circle. His strength is being in the penalty area. Look at his goals this season, all poachers type efforts. He thrives on service and playing with a hold up striker.

Look at John Hendries goals in the promotion season. Without Paul Wilkinson would he have scored so many? I don't think so. Neither would have Redfearn.

Paul Wilkinson was as valuable as any goalscorer cos he did so much unselfish work and set up play. He also roughed up the defenders with his physical presence, held the ball up, kept it simple and kept possession. He didn't score bucketloads by any means but I think he was arguably the best and most effective striker we've had in years.

Neil Shipperley was another striker with everything. Classy player that lad. A tell thi if Bradshaw laiked alongside a Shipperley or Wilkinson then he'd score 20 a season. I ent seen much of Kieffer Moore but he looks from what ive seen like a physical grafter. I like strikers in that mould but they'll never score 20 a season. However, its so naive to say oh hes shyte cos of an average goals output. Their contribution to the team is far more important.

Kieffer is the striker we've waited for - his aerial prowess, holding up the ball is really good - he has good skill as well! McBurnie would score many more goals if he played as a duo with Kieffer - although I have been critical of Bradshaw this season, it was criminal to play him as a lone striker - he would also benefit greatly from being with Kieffer.

In the past, Aylott & Parker, Wilkinson & Hendrie are usually mentioned in the same breath - twin strikers playing together! I agree about Shipperley - I've never seen a striker fouled so much but the decision always going against him.

Jooas been lucky to ev a new strike force in Moore and McBurnie, key players not available to the previous coach.

I luv to see these big 'un/ little 'un combinations, Always luvved watching Aylott and Parker play together, Wilkinson and Hendrie, Shipperley and Hignett.

Best "striker" av seen (apart frum Arthur Scargill) ez been Ronnie Glavin. A know he wo midfield on teamsheet burri allus worrin box scooaring which is wot strikers do.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I never really look at goals as a guide to judge the ability of a striker. You can't always purely judge them on that. Team formations can play a part in how a striker can fare. If you look at Bradshaw this season then he's been up there on his Todd trying to fight a losing battle. Bradshaw isn't built for the lone striker role. He doesn't have the attributes to hold the ball up properly or win Ariel battles in the centre circle. His strength is being in the penalty area. Look at his goals this season, all poachers type efforts. He thrives on service and playing with a hold up striker

Look at John Hendries goals in the promotion season. Without Paul Wilkinson would he have scored so many? I don't think so. Neither would have Redfearn.

Paul Wilkinson was as valuable as any goalscorer cos he did so much unselfish work and set up play. He also roughed up the defenders with his physical presence, held the ball up, kept it simple and kept possession. He didn't score bucketloads by any means but I think he was arguably the best and most effective striker we've had in years.

Neil Shipperley was another striker with everything. Classy player that lad. A tell thi if Bradshaw laiked alongside a Shipperley or Wilkinson then he'd score 20 a season. I ent seen much of Kieffer Moore but he looks from what ive seen like a physical grafter. I like strikers in that mould but they'll never score 20 a season. However, its so naive to say oh hes shyte cos of an average goals output. Their contribution to the team is far more important.
    Always thought Wilkinson was under rated in the promotion team

Quote Originally Posted by lk311 View Post
    Always thought Wilkinson was under rated in the promotion team

Very under rated wasn't he , played all 46 games if memory serves me right that season .

George Kerr, Tony Leighton, Norman Dean, Ken Oliver ,,,,,
    John Manning , Andy Payton, Wayne Biggins wiv ed looards

When we had messrs Payton, Rammell, & Liddell up front, they were all to too similar and didn't exactly form a partnership.
    And one partnership that could have done better I thought was Biggins & Pearson.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast