+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our best strikers debate

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    When we had messrs Payton, Rammell, & Liddell up front, they were all to too similar and didn't exactly form a partnership.
    And one partnership that could have done better I thought was Biggins & Pearson.

All too similar? Lol
    I'm not knocking them but here's the truth

Payton was a work shy goal poacher
    Rammell was physical and reliable
    Liddle had quality and finesse

World's apart were those three young men.

I rated Andy Payton he was first proper striker I'd seen as a supporter and I was sad when we got rid of him. Never rated Rammell or Liddell I thought Liddell missed too many easy chances. Best goal scorer has to be Winnall

Most skillful strikers I've seen were Nardiello and Vaz Te. Best grafters I've seen were Bruce Dyer and Marc Richards.

No real legends in there but only going off what I've seen live.

Out of this crop i'd say Kieffer Moore could become a cult hero. He's heading in right direction.

Andy Saville were handy too , that last minit goal that kept us up 2-2 v WBA wow, int his grandson ? Laikin fo mwall ? There Judd

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I rated Andy Payton he was first proper striker I'd seen as a supporter and I was sad when we got rid of him. Never rated Rammell or Liddell I thought Liddell missed too many easy chances. Best goal scorer has to be Winnall

Most skillful strikers I've seen were Nardiello and Vaz Te. Best grafters I've seen were Bruce Dyer and Marc Richards.

No real legends in there but only going off what I've seen live.

Out of this crop i'd say Kieffer Moore could become a cult hero. He's heading in right direction.

Payton were a great finisher and has a fine record, no doubt about it but not willing to put the hard work in. If he wasn't scoring he was pretty much ineffective to the team and that's why Wilson got rid imo.

Andy liddell was a class act. Not and never really was an out and out striker but a very intelligent footballer with a great touch. The Hignett role behind the strikers I always felt suited Liddell but he did play the front striker many times which I agree he wasn't as effective.

Rammell was a real handful, not the best goalscorer but could receive the ball into feet, was physical and never let the club down at 2nd tier level.

1 player who knew were net was but when he came he was knocking on a bit and that was Barry Thomas and his mate Johnny Evans want bad. Another one was Jan Arga Floorcloth but we din't see enough of him.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    All too similar? Lol
    I'm not knocking them but here's the truth.
    Payton was a work shy goal poacher. Rammell was physical and reliable. Liddle had quality and finesse. World's apart were those three young men.
    I meant too similar in that none of them made a good partnership of two (like Aylott & Parker or Wilkinson & Hendrie etc).
    I agree about Payton being a lazy goal poacher but that was my idea in creating this thread, I was asking about strikers who got goals but who didn't really put in the effort, or vice versa.
    I don't think Liddle was that great to be honest but he certainly did deserve more of a chance than Wilson was willing to give him.

I meant too similar in that none of them made a good partnership of two (like Aylott & Parker or Wilkinson & Hendrie etc).
    I agree about Payton being a lazy goal poacher but that was my idea in creating this thread, I was asking about strikers who got goals but who didn't really put in the effort, or vice versa.
    I don't think Liddle was that great to be honest but he certainly did deserve more of a chance than Wilson was willing to give him.
    That header he (Liddell) missed when we were 2-0 up against Leeds in Premier League was criminal.

Ohh when we blew it 2-3 against them, from a winning position. I blame Hecky for that result lol.
    I rated Payton because of his goals but I can think of loads of simple headers he missed. I seem to remember one of Liddle's worst misses was in the rain against Middlesbrough near the end of 94-95. A win that day might well have helped us earn our first ever play off season!.

Tommy Taylor was the best striker ever to put a Red shirt on.

Ohh when we blew it 2-3 against them, from a winning position. I blame Hecky for that result lol.
    I rated Payton because of his goals but I can think of loads of simple headers he missed. I seem to remember one of Liddle's worst misses was in the rain against Middlesbrough near the end of 94-95. A win that day might well have helped us earn our first ever play off season!.
    I may be wrong here Acido but didnt Liddell equalize that day against Middlesbrough to get a hard earned point against the champions elect?

Also I do believe liddell scored in that Leeds 2-3 game in the premiership.

Easy to remember misses lads if you're the 'glass aif empty' type kind of guys

I blame Hecky missen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast