+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Well done

Well done

Overall you deserved to win. This has been one hell of a learning curve for us, but should make us better for next season. Really hope, and think, you can stay up. We'll try and help at Birmingham. Think Bolton are in freefall so it'll be good bye and good riddance to them.

Thanks for that mate much appreciated .

Think we played well, couldn't live with the changes Sheff utd made for first 20 of 2nd half. Got to praise the players for the response i didn't see it comin. Great game tho. Both keepers ad there clown shoes on a bit tho eh

Jamal was big miss for us, as was a fully fit Duffy. We need to get in Championship standard players next season. Amazing with a 27000 average you can bet the owners will give Tufty sweet f**k all. Don't understand how Barnsley got in this situation, plenty worse teams in the division. Anyway we did the double over Leeds and took 4 points off the Pigs.

Thanks mahat.

Our demise is no mystery and was entirely predictable, at least for me. If we could have held onto the team we got promoted from league one we would be right up there but they were sold off. We thought we had the magic formula of finding cheap rough diamonds and turning them into world beaters with a profit in them. Nobody seemed to consider that when that team was put together largely in league one it took some time to gel and was a gamble that payed off, we were looking behind us for a lot of the season, once it clicked we climbed the table and had a real team with spirit talent and ambition. This team was a Lee Johnson side. Now he isn’t flavour of the decade with me but he can be credited with the cup and promotion team. I don’t credit too much with Hecky though he kept the spirit alive largely because the fans gave him god like status and he could do little wrong.

Last season we had enough of the previous side to get us enough points to ultimately keep us safe before Jan. After they were sold the real problems started and nothing we have done since has had much impact. Our form from Jan 2017 says it all. This season was “time for new heroes”. We repeated the same buy cheap watch them blossom mentality as we did previously only this time we are in the Championship, we don’t have time to spend half a season letting them gel and that’s if they were good enough in the first place.

A recipe for disaster imho. I also don’t subscribe to building for next season because it simply cannot happen at Barnsley, if a player is worth having they either don’t want to stay or we cannot afford to keep them, every time. So every season we go again with the dross other teams deem not good enough to buy off us and punts from the lower league and academy prospects.

I have said for a long time the only solution is that we are taken over and financed appropriately to be genuinely competitive in this league. That is the only way we can avoid the miserable existence we endure for the most part in the Championship.

I hope we stay up and somehow within FFP rules we can clear out and pay off existing players and really build AND retain our work in progress, if not it’s going to be the same and if it’s not this year for relegation it’s highly likely it will be the next.

If we stay up this season we can thank the renewed belief and goals Ollie McBurney has brought. Without him we would rock bottom. We tried to sign him in the summer but Barnsley fecked that up too.

Quote Originally Posted by b1gduk View Post
    Thanks mahat.

Our demise is no mystery and was entirely predictable, at least for me. If we could have held onto the team we got promoted from league one we would be right up there but they were sold off. We thought we had the magic formula of finding cheap rough diamonds and turning them into world beaters with a profit in them. Nobody seemed to consider that when that team was put together largely in league one it took some time to gel and was a gamble that payed off, we were looking behind us for a lot of the season, once it clicked we climbed the table and had a real team with spirit talent and ambition. This team was a Lee Johnson side. Now he isn’t flavour of the decade with me but he can be credited with the cup and promotion team. I don’t credit too much with Hecky though he kept the spirit alive largely because the fans gave him god like status and he could do little wrong.

Last season we had enough of the previous side to get us enough points to ultimately keep us safe before Jan. After they were sold the real problems started and nothing we have done since has had much impact. Our form from Jan 2017 says it all. This season was “time for new heroes”. We repeated the same buy cheap watch them blossom mentality as we did previously only this time we are in the Championship, we don’t have time to spend half a season letting them gel and that’s if they were good enough in the first place.

A recipe for disaster imho. I also don’t subscribe to building for next season because it simply cannot happen at Barnsley, if a player is worth having they either don’t want to stay or we cannot afford to keep them, every time. So every season we go again with the dross other teams deem not good enough to buy off us and punts from the lower league and academy prospects.

I have said for a long time the only solution is that we are taken over and financed appropriately to be genuinely competitive in this league. That is the only way we can avoid the miserable existence we endure for the most part in the Championship.

I hope we stay up and somehow within FFP rules we can clear out and pay off existing players and really build AND retain our work in progress, if not it’s going to be the same and if it’s not this year for relegation it’s highly likely it will be the next.

If we stay up this season we can thank the renewed belief and goals Ollie McBurney has brought. Without him we would rock bottom. We tried to sign him in the summer but Barnsley fecked that up too.
    It would be sad if you went down, but you are right you should have kept your players together when you came up. I remember that Wembly day when you beat us 2 years ago. We (the Lions) have kept all our team together, nobody wanted to buy them. But it has paid off and we were 3rd favourites to go down.

Millwall been really good a bin watchin Georgie rattle em in.