+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vaulks?

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    vaulkes strength. heading, tackling, comfy with the ball. good shot.
    vaulkes weakness. gives the ball away too much. tries to many long passes, lack of pace.

if he likes it or not CB suits his style. he offers us a lot more at CB than in CM...

ajayi. strengths pace, one on one, heading with back to goal. pops up with a few goals.
    ajayi weakness lack of concentration. poor decision making. falls asleep when defending freekicks/corners

this lad has everything to make a top defender though he needs to work extra hard to get there..

depending who the opposition are depends who i would prefer at cb between these two. then we have ike.. he could be a mix of both on early season form.
    Agreed.

Vaulks isn’t a full back?

A debatable point, but in my view a full back is only as good as the midfielder in front of him. That guy has to put the first tackle or block in. If they don’t it’s 1 on 1 in a dangerous area.

I'm very surprised no-one has suggested we need a defensive coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    I'm very surprised no-one has suggested we need a defensive coach.
    Ajayi certainly needs a defensive coach. He has all the attributes to become a top class defender but unfortunately we don't have anyone to help him develop properly.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    I'd never play players out of position if it could be avoided. We've only got one proper right back at the club though (who is a loan player), and Warney had probably told him that he was dropped to the bench following the blunder at Charlton... so we were starting the game with a player out of position anyway. Sounded like Warney thought that Ajayi was having a bad game/wasn't following instructions though, but I'd prefer to see Vaulks in midfield .
    Problem really caused by lack of cover at right back . We need to sign two players who can play at right back over the summer to solve the problem, one of those could be Emmanuel?
    Cummings is supposed to be a "proper right back" isn't he? Unfortunately he's nowhere near good enough.

I'm not sure that Warne knows what Vaulks's best position is either but he seems determined just to put him in the side somewhere. That certainly didn't work on Saturday.
    Vaulks is very good in the air, has a decent shot (sometimes) and his enthusiasm can't be faulted but I'm not sure if that's enough to guarantee him a starting place.
    He's not quick enough to play in central midfield and regularly gives the ball away which makes him a bit of a liability in that position.
    So what is he? Answers on a postcard.

Vaulks is a Midfielder all day long, if Warney wants to use him then drop Palmer or Towell but don’t use him in defence unless absolutely necessary imo

Use your head Warney

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Vaulks is a Midfielder all day long, if Warney wants to use him then drop Palmer or Towell but don’t use him in defence unless absolutely necessary imo

Use your head Warney
    Drop Towell - FFS he's only the only real quality player in the team.

Vaulks has had his best games for us in CD. Regardless of where he prefers to play that role suits him best. He wasn't interested Saturday and was lacking the spark that he usually has. Not a great performance by him he looked very uninterested whether he had hump on with PW for putting him there is another question but it is extremely unprofessional if thats the reason why he was half asleep. I think Vaulks will make a great captain one day for us so it is disappointing to see him not step up to the mark when he is asked to play out of position. I'm not Woods biggest fan but he is always committed to the cause and im sure if he was to play out of position he would still give 110%. I personally think it was his attitude on Sat that made him not have a great game

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Cummings is supposed to be a "proper right back" isn't he? Unfortunately he's nowhere near good enough.
    Oops -I'd forgotten that Cummings was even still here! He's obviously not in Warney's plans for the future. I think that we only signed him on a short-term contract because of injury/fitness doubts, and that seems to be at least part of the problem. If it was just a case of giving him some match time to sharpen him up, then he should have been playing in the reserves games , but he hasn't been picked for those fixtures either. We still need two right backs as permanent signings in the summer.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 09-04-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast