+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Speak to us Mr Martin.

If the Club is ever run on the basis of threads posted on here then we will be well and truly stuffed.

The big decision was made after Livingston to keep him. IMO what's kept him his job is the fact that we were an absolute shambles behind the scenes. Although he has been a mess of a manager so far what I will give him credit for is the fact that he has had a big impact on a lot of the restructuring. Apparently are youth setup is now looking like the united of old, we've got an actual fitness coach who knows what he's doing, we're signing players on bonus incentives instead of just high wages and we're even doing medicals before signing players.

MM has backed him to make all these changes and sign a complete new squad of players, there's no way he could of possibly backed out after 4 games that were treated like preseason fixtures.

I think Csaba and MM have made a great structure and platform for another manager to get us up.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    You really can't see how all these things can help improve the club's revenue and first team?
    Anything that brings in additional revenue over and above the football has to be a good thing for the club. Especially when in the SPFL. United need every penny they can get!

Quote Originally Posted by FTD1983 View Post
    Just another fluff piece for me.

I don't like these structured interviews and if I'm honest the way Martin speaks just comes across as a wee touch patronising and a wee touch disingenuous - not saying that's the case and it's maybe just my preference for delivery.

I honestly don't care about 90% of the topics he is discussing - I'd genuinely rather we didn't have a massive investment in a sports bar, or the corporate facilities, or diagnostic ****ing medical equipment (which I genuinely think is lip service in light of the thread popping up on here).

I'd rather we used all this money to punt the clown and hire a competent manager, or, if it really must be him, give him a serious budget to go and win the leagu - not sure what value the investment in the sports bar is but I'd wager it's a t least 2 or 3 of our top earners salary - another 2 or 3 at Fyvies level in the side and we canter this league.

I also noted with interest he stressed that only newly signed players were subject to the 25 mile radius rule - I knew that would be the case but probably leaves us with a large number of players still doing the commuting thing he was so scathing of. This, for me could cause divide in the dressing room - for me if you want to make a radical change like that it needs to be across the board.

Once again I'm left feeling a wee bit dirty after a MM interview - like I've just watched someone selling snake oil and the masses lapping it up.
    Does he not speak orry enough for ya, and if he did would it make you feel better about yourself?

You really can't see how all these things can help improve the club's revenue and first team?
    Not really no. So we take an (expensive) punt on a sports bar which may or may not make money (I think it'll flop dramatically btw).

Lets say it works, that leaves us with a fantastic sports bar generating income but a ****e football team on the park that see us stay down yet another season.

Do you genuinely believe a soulless sports bar is going to generate enough income across a year to not only cover the massive losses we currently make, but also strengthen the playing budget? If it was that easy every club would have one.

As for the medical stuff - I expect every team in the land to be looking to improve and adequately resource their medical team and facilities. I don't expect the Chairman to be talking about it in interviews. It's a transparent attempt at currying favour with a support who he (or someone at the club) has seen talking about this very issue in the week leading up to this video.

We are a football club. I want my chairman to talk passionately about the players, the management team, the youth team etc, not a ****ing sports bar and physio. No point having the best sports bar in the championship for me but maybe I'm mental in thinking football comes first.

See if we get promoted and stabilise in the top flight, with all the revenue that brings, maybe start breaking even as a club or turning a slight profit, buy back our existing, previously profitable assets like Gussie and the clubs spiritual home in Tannadice from the security holders, then is the time for long term vanity projexct style initiatives - not when we are ****ing rooted in the diddy league bleeding cash everywhere to the tune of millions in loss a season. Do you genuinely think a sports bar will cover those losses?

Quote Originally Posted by ahlltanyirhide View Post
    Does he not speak orry enough for ya, and if he did would it make you feel better about yourself?
    What a ****ing clueless and pointless statement - any chance you could clarify what your point is and what you are getting at?

From my perspective I couldn't give a **** about his accent, but I want him to be talking players & managers, not avoiding the real issues and talking about frippery ****e off the park that will do absolutely **** all to get us promoted this season.

I am genuinely stunned that so many are lapping up this nonsense - it's clearly an attempt to divert from the cluster we have on the park and in the dugout. There again if I'm expecting people with that level of intelligence to actually think about this then maybe I'm the idiot.

So the club shouldn't invest in anything that will increase revenue streams going forward for the sake of spending that money (and we don't know how much we are taking about here) on the first team squad?

I think the off field work is great to see. There has been significant change and players have been brought in. The revenue ideas are about time as we have neglected that part too long. That I think Martin is doing quite well in that regards. Of course we will see with the players and manager.

FTD,
    You are gonna have to explain why you are being so negative towards the background changes that are going on.

I have doubts that any of the money that is being invested is that of the clubs. More than likely, the board in conjunction with the new investors are putting a fair amount of money into the club just to keep it afloat, never mind the money that is going into bring the new squad together. At some point in the future, these people will want a return on their money or their money returned!

As the club does not own the GA Arena and its surrounding buildings at the minute, i would think the owner, MM is the one using his own money to sort the new Sports Bar, and the cynic in me says that is how he will see a return on his investment!

It is obvious to all that the club was, and maybe still is, in a fairly precarious financial position and i think the current chairman and board deserve a bit of slack to see what they can deliver.

Better medical improve first team. Different tune on different threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    FTD,
    You are gonna have to explain why you are being so negative towards the background changes that are going on.

I have doubts that any of the money that is being invested is that of the clubs. More than likely, the board in conjunction with the new investors are putting a fair amount of money into the club just to keep it afloat, never mind the money that is going into bring the new squad together. At some point in the future, these people will want a return on their money or their money returned!

As the club does not own the GA Arena and its surrounding buildings at the minute, i would think the owner, MM is the one using his own money to sort the new Sports Bar, and the cynic in me says that is how he will see a return on his investment!

It is obvious to all that the club was, and maybe still is, in a fairly precarious financial position and i think the current chairman and board deserve a bit of slack to see what they can deliver.
    I’ve pretty much explained it mate - it’s imo fluff to appease an irate fan base and deflect from the woeful shortcomings in the dugout and on the park.

There’s a time and a place for all this and it’s not the 3rd season in the championship. Anyone wanting to invest in the club should be firmly pointed in the direction of the football side of the business.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)