+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brexit - Time for Football to change

Brexit - Time for Football to change

I don't know about anyone else but I'm totally pissed off with so few English/British players getting an opportunity in the Premier League and Championship. I find it really difficult how anyone could support a club in the Premier League or even the likes of Wolves who really represent nothing about the place the team is from.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the mass import of overpaid foreigners has lifted the skills and ability of English players to compete at the International level. In fact I'd suggest the opposite as a lot now don't have the hunger given there pockets are filled with millions and lets face it most Pro's aren't exactly articulate.

Brexit will mean that European players will have to obtain a work permit to play for English clubs. My view is this:

Every club should be limited to a maximum of 6 players on a work permit.
    A team cannot field more than 3 players on a work permit at ANY stage in a game.

Yes this will reduce TV revenue's and hit the big boys but it's my opinion that this will be better for English football and provide an opportunity to develop OUR talent to the net benefit of the National team.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but I'm totally pissed off with so few English/British players getting an opportunity in the Premier League and Championship. I find it really difficult how anyone could support a club in the Premier League or even the likes of Wolves who really represent nothing about the place the team is from.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the mass import of overpaid foreigners has lifted the skills and ability of English players to compete at the International level. In fact I'd suggest the opposite as a lot now don't have the hunger given there pockets are filled with millions and lets face it most Pro's aren't exactly articulate.

Brexit will mean that European players will have to obtain a work permit to play for English clubs. My view is this:

Every club should be limited to a maximum of 6 players on a work permit.
    A team cannot field more than 3 players on a work permit at ANY stage in a game.

Yes this will reduce TV revenue's and hit the big boys but it's my opinion that this will be better for English football and provide an opportunity to develop OUR talent to the net benefit of the National team.
    If it doesn't generate more money than is generated currently which it won't then it wont be implemented full stop. Next!

jonny, it is much simpler than that.
    The premier league generated £6 billion from TV and advertising etc.
    That's outrageous compared to the rest of the league clubs.
    Also, grass roots football is going under, as they receive very little and supporters would rather buy a Sky season ticket.
    Clough hated live tv games. It has gone way beyond his worst nightmare.

So sorry, it isn't about work permits, it's money.
    Reduce the cash flow and they'll have to stop importing these over paid mercenaries and also bring some sense and sensibility, to lower league wages.

Ah Brexit, the silver bullet that will make everyones lives better.

'We currently spend £350m per week on foreign strikers, let's win the world cup instead'

Conflate! Conflate! Brexit, starving grassroots football of money, foreign players, limiting working practices. Such tenuous links.
    And how do you know that bringing foreigners here hasn't improved the quality of British players?
    Like Queenie says above, the great God money has spoken and no amount of Brexit regulation will quieten it.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Conflate! Conflate! Brexit, starving grassroots football of money, foreign players, limiting working practices. Such tenuous links.
    And how do you know that bringing foreigners here hasn't improved the quality of British players?
    Like Queenie says above, the great God money has spoken and no amount of Brexit regulation will quieten it.
    Sidders, I think the lack of exceptional talent in England bares brunt to that. In fact look further. Scottish football is now a joke.
    The English top flight was littered with jocks, not so long ago. Now it's pitiful.

It's about opportunities. Keep spending all your budget on foreign players, then the outcome is a drop in resources for bringing kids into the game.
    As I have said before. I go to Germany regularly to see the girlfriend. I love the train ride from Nurenburg through the Bavarian countryside.
    One thing I have noted, is that no matter how small the village/hamlet/town the train goes through. At its heart is a good quality football pitch, with facilities and lights. Even villages of less than 50 dwellings. It's in their blood and nurtured. Here we build on everything urban wise and let what we've got left sink.
    It's quite sad really.

Sanchez - Chile
    Augero - Argentina
    Salah - Egyptian

Sorry not a Brexit problem. In fact to be honest not a problem at all. The Premier League puts England/UK in global view. Who would have heard of Burnley in Thailand if it weren't for the PL. Massive international export.

Quote Originally Posted by spag View Post
    Sanchez - Chile
    Augero - Argentina
    Salah - Egyptian

Sorry not a Brexit problem. In fact to be honest not a problem at all. The Premier League puts England/UK in global view. Who would have heard of Burnley in Thailand if it weren't for the PL. Massive international export.
    From an entertainment business perspective, yes.
    From a UK footballers ambitions, from the bottom up. No it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    From an entertainment business perspective, yes.
    From a UK footballers ambitions, from the bottom up. No it isn't.
    Let's face it give a fan a choice between England doing well or their club being successful I think I know what they would choose.

I'm sure that the only calculation which matters to any club manager in England wishing to keep their job is whether a player has sufficient quality to operate at the required level and whether they represent good value for money. If enough English players aren't breaking into the top teams and feeding into the national squad, it's either because they don't have the equivalent ability of foreign players, or their wage demands are greater than foreign players of the same standard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast