+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Wide Players

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Some great names there. Can I just add Alan Crawford.
    Good "League 1" level player ... and he was a better finisher than our current crop of wingers (scored with quite a lot of headers too, even though he was fairly short)
    Last edited by mikemiller; 09-04-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Anyone remember Albert Broadbent?

Slightly before my time although my late Father & Grandfather told me about him & Jimmy Rudd.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Good "League 1" level player ... and he was a better finisher than our current crop of wingers (scored with quite a lot of headers too, even though he was fairly short)
    Best left footed winger I've seen at schoolboy level aged 13 yrs / 14yrs.

That partnership down the left with John Breckin when they played in the same side as professional's was probably the best I've seen at our club.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Some great names there. Can I just add Alan Crawford.
    Of course you can mellow,......damn would like to claim it was a deliberate error....it wasn't though...

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Best left footed winger I've seen at schoolboy level aged 13 yrs / 14yrs.

That partnership down the left with John Breckin when they played in the same side as professional's was probably the best I've seen at our club.
    Yes, saw them progress through the youth team and reserves. They quickly established themselves in the first team when they were given the chance. Just wish that we had players of that quality coming through the development squad now.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 09-04-2018 at 09:07 PM.

What about Richard Finney?

Quote Originally Posted by pip_y View Post
    What about Richard Finney ?............only joking pip.

Another one that signed schoolboy forms and played for England Youth, shame his career ended through injury at the age of 24.
    Richard F looks no older now than he did when he was 17, don't know how he does it !!

Was David Bentley classed as a winger, certainly decent left footed player.

Slightly before my time although my late Father & Grandfather told me about him & Jimmy Rudd.
    Jimmy Rudd the best when he took penalties as he ran up you didn't know which foot he was going to use,and the winger who replaced him was nearly as good can you make him Casper.

Quote Originally Posted by bogsdollox View Post
    Although they have been generally god this season their common issue is lack of pace - if they were a yard faster then they would probably playing in the championship.
    You're right with the lack of pace except for Taylor before his injuries.

If you look at what Sheffield United did for years. The brought in Championship players to get out of league one which didn't work and for too long they stayed in league one.

Let's go up if we can and see how they go on int Championship. If they do show that they're not good enough then they'll have to be changed if we can afford to.

What about Richard Finney ?............only joking pip.

Another one that signed schoolboy forms and played for England Youth, shame his career ended through injury at the age of 24.
    Richard F looks no older now than he did when he was 17, don't know how he does it !!

Was David Bentley classed as a winger, certainly decent left footed player.
    David Bentley was really a left side midfielder. He wore the 11 shirt, so plenty of the Millmoor Lane crowd would keep shouting 'get on thee bloody wing Bentley'

Crawford was one of my favourites, remember coming back from Rochdale on the train, talking to a West Brom scout who'd been watching him. Thought he was a bit too lightweight. He ended up with I think 33 goals that season, not bad for a winger.

Crawford & Finney were introduced to the first team together at the start of that season, and with Trevor Phillips it really was a short front line, especially after Wigg was sold and replaced by Dick Habbin. Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by pip_y View Post
    Was just about to mention Finney class.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast