+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Wide Players

Our Wide Players

Our wide players have been very good this season. Their crossing of the ball has improved from last season and when they've not been too good with the crosses we've sruggled to get results.

Newell ; We've seen him go passed players so well that you've had to wonder how he did it. Some matches his skill has been worth the entrance fee alone.

Taylor; Before his injury I said many times that he has been the nearest thing to Tony Towner that we've seen in a Millers shirt. Te injury has cost him but he's had a good season.

Forde; Probably has the bos assists this season. His whipped crosses have been bang on the money for most of the season. I really do like seeing him wait until the defender slides in and then leaves them on their arses!

Williams; A two footed player who likes to get stuck in. He can run with the ball as if it's glued to him. He's played ont left but I reckon he'd be comfortable on the right. A great signing with a very good cross with either foot.

By heck we've been spoilt this season. These four are the reason why we're so high in the table and if we were to go up it will be these players, their commitment, their fight and their drives along with the odd spectacular goal!!

They have generally done well, except when they have been played out of position. Newell, when fully fit, remains one of our best players. Forde looks quite good at League One level, after struggling in the Championship. Taylor and Williams have been a bit inconsistent, but have also put in quite a lot of good performances too. A pity that Taylor has been hampered by injuries, but his goal at Portsmouth was a great bit of skill. I hope that we can see some more like that before the end of the season.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 09-04-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Yes they have done well, Warney now needs to know which two are better for certain games and who partners better (if it matters)

There’s been a few games where I thought Taylor would have been a better choice to start but that’s easy to say when we lose I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Our wide players have been very good this season.

By heck we've been spoilt this season. These four are the reason why we're so high in the table and if we were to go up it will be these players, their commitment, their fight and their drives along with the odd spectacular goal!!
    We've been spoilt for wingers and goalkeepers in the past.
    Come back, Barry Lyons, Ian Butler, Keith Pring ( RIP), Lee Brogden, John Buckley, Sedgy and my hero Tony ' Tiger ' Towner. ( apologies to any I've missed )
    We're a settled side this season despite chopping and changing by PW, a good team spirit and no apparent ' bad apples ' as of yet.
    Team spirit and confidence counts for a lot in football.

Before anyone says " but it's League 1 " I already know that fact.

Agree with much of what has been said.

Not the Tony Towner comment though.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Not the Tony Towner comment though.
    I honestly think we haven't had anyone who has set the right hand side alive like Towner did. Taylor is the nearest thing but yet miles away from what Towner could do.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Come back, Barry Lyons, Ian Butler, Keith Pring ( RIP), Lee Brogden, John Buckley, Sedgy and my hero Tony ' Tiger ' Towner. ( apologies to any I've missed )
    We're a settled side this season despite chopping and changing by PW, a good team spirit and no apparent ' bad apples ' as of yet.

Anyone remember Albert Broadbent?

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post

Some great names there. Can I just add Alan Crawford.

Although they have been generally god this season their common issue is lack of pace - if they were a yard faster then they would probably playing in the championship.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast