+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reply to Zilzal re : Ian Butler & Trev Womble.

Reply to Zilzal re : Ian Butler & Trev Womble.

Rather than take the excellent thread started by Nardendee : Updated run - in off topic I've started another one, hope you don't mind.

Yes I remember ' Willie Womble having his career ruined with Kitchener. It left him with ligament damage and another one that eventually had to hang up his boots.
    Last time I saw Trevor W he looked really well, unrecognizable from his playing days as that mop of hair has gone forever, still recognize him with his smile and laugh though.

Ian Butler was my pals favourite player, must be two decades since I saw I.B.
    He must be pushing towards 80yrs of age by now.
    He used to work out Immingham way for a Freight Export Company.

Our loss was Hull City's gain.

Almost forgot about Ken Houghton as part of the deal, another decent player from the 60's.

Zil had also asked about what happened to Ken after his playing days. There is a fair bit about the fates of all those who played in the first League Cup Final in Adrian Booth's excellent book 'The First Finalists'. As of 2005 Ken was living in retirement in Anlaby at the west end of Hull. He still followed the fortunes of Hull FC and spoke to local football organisations about his days with the club. After playing for Hull then S****horpe he was player-manager at Scarbrough and then briefly played for Bridlington Town. He went back to Hull FC as full time Youth Coach and then had his spell there as club manager in the late 70s (at one point signing Trevor Phillips from the Millers.) After being sacked by Hull FC he retired from pro football in 1979 and worked for a freight forwarding company. He continued to play non league football.

Sorry I don't have anything after 2005.

Hi CT,

Yes Ken worked as a Manager at Immingham until he retired.

Ian Butler had a guest house at Bridlington and then joined the Prison service until retirement.

My info is from Adam Ellis who posted up on The Football League Paper back in February 2016.

I used to live next door to Ken Houghton in 1966/67 when I was 17/18.
    He was a really great bloke and we would often go onto the field behind our houses and have a kick about.
    I was pretty quick in those days and could match Ken for pace but his all round ability was something else.
    Let's just say he taught me a few "tricks of the trade." 😊
    I can't imagine anything like that happening nowadays.

Me!low my mum lived in the flat across the hall from Kens mum on roughwood rd for a few years and I met him a couple of times and his sister's they were a lovely familly.

I do believe Trevor Womble & Paul Stancliffe become brother -in -laws marrying sisters who’s family owned a hotel on Moorgate.

Wombles parents ran The Lumley Arms Maltby if I remember correctly.

Trevor Womble was a chef by trade I believe, most players playing in the 1960's - 70's had a second vocation while playing football.

Quote Originally Posted by hotun View Post
    Wombles parents ran The Lumley Arms Maltby if I remember correctly.
    I have met Trevor Womble several times - nice bloke. At the time he was playing, RUFC encouraged players to enroll on "day-release" type training courses, relating to possible future work for when their playing careers were over. I'm sure that there was a photo in the match programme (or possibly the 'Tiser) of Trevor Womble (catering) and Trevor Swift (butchery) and I think Johnny Quinn too (catering?) on their courses. I'm guessing that those were at Rotherham Technical college. Many Millers fans will have come across the two Trevs, after their playing careers were over, in Rotherham - Trevor Womble in various catering jobs and Swifty, in one of the the upstairs butchers stalls in the indoor market. It's a far cry from today's Premier League!
    Can't find the photo on the internet though.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 10-04-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Met Swifty quite a few times in the top market butchers in Rotherham in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast