Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Summer recruitment

I like a few posters enthusiasm of our prospects of our tooling up for the new season. The players mentioned so far don’t fill me with the same confidence but it is still early doors.
    Is O’Connor away yet? Hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    I like a few posters enthusiasm of our prospects of our tooling up for the new season. The players mentioned so far don’t fill me with the same confidence but it is still early doors.
    Is O’Connor away yet? Hope so.
    The positivity continues on aberdeenmad

Quote Originally Posted by irnbru1903 View Post
    900K? Where on earth could they possibly pluck that figure from? If the tribunal come up with a figure even remotely close to that then there should be no question of us keeping him. Close to a million for nothing more than a prospect that has achieved little so far. McKenna must be worth billions.
    We would hopefully do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridieeater View Post
    I am being truthful. I have been wrong before about how we will get on. How do you think we will get on next season and do you think we will win anything? I reckon we will be out of Europe after a couple of qualifiers, win hee haw cup wise but in a positive spin we will be top six.

Quote Originally Posted by irnbru1903 View Post
    900K? Where on earth could they possibly pluck that figure from? If the tribunal come up with a figure even remotely close to that then there should be no question of us keeping him. Close to a million for nothing more than a prospect that has achieved little so far. McKenna must be worth billions.
    I recall reading somewhere that nowadays the tribunal assess each clubs valuation and decide which is the most realistic.
    Not sure if true or not but surely our offer is more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridieeater View Post
    I will keep the positivity going and the consistency. I am 100% confident that any signings brought in by the "wonderful" DM will be less than mediocre and bang average sh1te
    Last chance saloon here DM go on out there and prove me a load of other dons fans wrong, but I really doubt that he has got it in him.
    End of the road must be in sight surely to fk......

SF

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post
    I will keep the positivity going and the consistency. I am 100% confident that any signings brought in by the "wonderful" DM will be less than mediocre and bang average sh1te
    Last chance saloon here DM go on out there and prove me a load of other dons fans wrong, but I really doubt that he has got it in him.

SF
    sums this website up perfectly. f#ck me, i think there is more positivity on arabmad!

Does anyone know if Ferguson is even worth the 100K we are likely to pay in compensation? Never seen the lad play!

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post

SF
    Whats your expectations on signings?
    Who should the club go for?

I think this is a crucial, but very tough window for AFC.

Crucial because I expect Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Kilmarnock & Hearts to all improve their squads over the summer (although Hibs may struggle if a number of their top players leave).

Tough because we've reached a point where we need really good quality players coming in to improve on the position we've got to (particularly with other teams around us inevitably improving). Tough also because there are no real obvious targets - even us fans are struggling to pinpoint realistic, but good enough signings. Obviously McInnes and his team are better qualified to do it than us, but the names that we're being linked with are names we've not heard of. That isn't surprising though, as we can't name any realistic targets ourselves!

Replacing McLean is going to be very very difficult in my opinion - real quality player who took a couple of seasons to develop to where he is now, but whoever comes in to replace him hasn't got that couple of seasons, they need to be at that level now. Someone like McGeouch or even Scott Allan would be about that level, but not sure how realistic either of them are.

I would much rather we took the time to get the right signings, than make some ****e ones. Even if that means an early exit from Europe, i would be willing to trade that in for a good squad by the start of the league season and increase our chances of some silverware. Dont get me wrong, a good run in Europe would be great, but lets be realistic, there isnt an iota of a chance of getting anything other than a decent financial boost.

Quote Originally Posted by sallan2000 View Post
    Does anyone know if Ferguson is even worth the 100K we are likely to pay in compensation? Never seen the lad play!
    I don't know personally but someone at my work who is a Hamilton fan rates him highly. They might be pish but they've had some good players come through over the years and by all accounts their current youth squad is the best in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    I don't know personally but someone at my work who is a Hamilton fan rates him highly. They might be pish but they've had some good players come through over the years and by all accounts their current youth squad is the best in the country.
    When a team fields young players early in their career, its clear which ones are likely to make the grade...

So many of our previous youngsters looked full of potential but never got enough first team experience to see if they could cut it, before being released

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    More to the point , can Red John tell us who we're going to beat in the Europa League and who's going to knock us out ?

I must've missed the draws being made

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Expectations are two-fold;

1) we recruit better than last summer.
    2) we can perhaps afford a transfer fee or two (within reason) due to the AberDNA success. Forrester will cost money from Peterborough & Ferguson similar from Hamilton

As to the "who"?

My thoughts are pretty well known - we're over reliant on the lower leagues of England, which has the most over-rated and over-paid leagues in the world.
    Russ Richardson the Head of Recruitment has a patchy record for recommendations from England.
    You'd get better value by OCCASIONALLY looking in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe etc, but that would cost more in scouting.

My guess is we'll sign about 4 OR 5 permanently prior to kicking off, then have a couple of loanees signed towards the end of the window once the English clubs have their squads sorted for the season.
    Maybe 6 signed up by 31 Aug.
    Last edited by RedStarTorphins; 05-06-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Why would it cost more to scout in Eastern Europe?

It's not like we would pay someone's air fare every time you wanted to watch a game.

My guess is that it would cost less to hire a Slovak scout to keep an eye on Czech, Hungarian, Slovakian, Austrian and Slovenian football for example.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Why would it cost more to scout in Eastern Europe?

It's not like we would pay someone's air fare every time you wanted to watch a game.

My guess is that it would cost less to hire a Slovak scout to keep an eye on Czech, Hungarian, Slovakian, Austrian and Slovenian football for example.
    If that's the case, even more reason to do so.
    But how many foreign players has DM signed?
    Arnason, and he was a known quantity

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post
    More to the point , can Red John tell us who we're going to beat in the Europa League and who's going to knock us out ?

I must've missed the draws being made
    At least half of the teams that we can play in QR2?
    Last edited by RedStarTorphins; 05-06-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    At least half of the teams that we can play in QR2?
    Try again

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post
    Try again
    I was going to say two-thirds, but didn’t want to be accused of negativity

Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast