+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 422 of 530 FirstFirst ... 322372412420421422423424432472522 ... LastLast
Results 4,211 to 4,220 of 5293

Thread: 2018 Summer recruitment

I'm glad you were happy with him.

I'm delighted he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    The reality in that we cannot financially compete with some clubs in our league.
    We cannot go and spend £2.2M on a left back or £9Million on a striker.
    I love this club too much to risk it becoming defunct.
    I’m not so sure we could recover as SevCo have or the diets.

That’s not to lack ambition, but a reality of where we are and a belief that we can over achieve with our resources, again.
    I dont think anyone was expecting those kind of expenditures in transfers?

I think the Shuttle Bus Arena will prove to be much more of a risk to Aberdeen FC becoming defunct than a few ambitious signings.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I'm glad you were happy with him.

I'm delighted he's gone.
    If we sign a better replacement I’ll be delighted too, but we haven’t and we probably won’t because to bring someone of that standard in is outwith our budget.

[QUOTE=afc_1983;38975416]I'm as frustrated as the next Dons fan at the inactivity of late on the transfer front, but retaining faith that the club and the manager will come good - we do have until the end of the month after all, albeit I'd rather we got our business done much earlier in the summer.

We seemed prepared to pay at least £250k on a striker and that was before we got money in for Rooney. I don't think it's a stretch to say that we will have at least £500k kicking about to strengthen the squad before now and the end of the month.
    QUOTE]

As I have said in earlier posts we are two first team wages and one squad wages down on what we spent last season. If I guess that first team players are paid in the region of £2500-£3500 per week and a squad player say half that then once you factor in employers NIC and other associated payroll costs a first team player probably costs in the region of £200K pa. So just to stand still we must have somewhere in the region of your £500K to play with BEFORE we count the £500K from DNA the club has ALREADY SAID will be spent on the first team. So by my reckoning unless we invest circa £1M in the first team by way of wages/transfer fees/contract extension pay rises this month then those like Red John and Mason will be entitled to say to people like me that they were right and DNA is subsidising other spend (too little to make any difference whatsoever to a new stadium for those that argue that is what the money is being kept back for but that's a whole different story for another thread).

21 days left and counting Mr Milne before DNA becomes dead in the water for future years, which will add to your culpability.

Quote Originally Posted by Basingstokered View Post
    Excellent post re Hibs being weaker without mginn, of course were much stronger given that we got rid of our joint top scorers last season McLean and Rooney
    Different argument.
    Yes, we appear weaker, certainly in depth than we were last year, so far.
    The window is not finished yet.

The discussion was whether Hibs and Hearts were stronger or not, hence my small point about the Hibs manager saying they will not been able to replace McGinn, hence weaker, not stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Different argument.
    Yes, we appear weaker, certainly in depth than we were last year, so far.
    The window is not finished yet.

The discussion was whether Hibs and Hearts were stronger or not, hence my small point about the Hibs manager saying they will not been able to replace McGinn, hence weaker, not stronger.
    Well let’s be honest we’re not going to be able to replace either McLean or Rooney so we’re far weaker than last season.

Quote Originally Posted by RedZone
    As I have said in earlier posts we are two first team wages and one squad wages down on what we spent last season. If I guess that first team players are paid in the region of £2500-£3500 per week and a squad player say half that then once you factor in employers NIC and other associated payroll costs a first team player probably costs in the region of £200K pa. So just to stand still we must have somewhere in the region of your £500K to play with BEFORE we count the £500K from DNA the club has ALREADY SAID will be spent on the first team. So by my reckoning unless we invest circa £1M in the first team by way of wages/transfer fees/contract extension pay rises this month then those like Red John and Mason will be entitled to say to people like me that they were right and DNA is subsidising other spend (too little to make any difference whatsoever to a new stadium for those that argue that is what the money is being kept back for but that's a whole different story for another thread).

21 days left and counting Mr Milne before DNA becomes dead in the water for future years, which will add to your culpability.
    I can't see how you can call it that way.
    We have extended contracts already (McKenna twice, Ross, Rogers & Lewis (albeit a year ago, but will have factored into future budgets)), we have paid out on transfer fees (Forrester and Ferguson pending) and I would not be surprised if Devlin and Cosgrove were brought in early to get prepared for this season, but still effectively from this years budget.

I'd like to think there is some set aside to extend Shinnie

I'd guess there are still funds available, I'm just not convinced as to how much and certainly not to say there is £1M still available

Well let’s be honest we’re not going to be able to replace either McLean or Rooney so we’re far weaker than last season.
    Maybe, lets see.

Ferguson looks a great prospect and may be of similar as McLean was when we signed him.
    Rooney was not the same player, lets be honest about that too.
    To get funds in for him was good business, especially if we do find a good replacement in the next three weeks.

McLean yes we will miss absolutely no doubt. A tremendous player however Ferguson has certainly stepped up to the plate since he arrived.

Rooney. Remind me what he did last season that will make us miss him? I loved Rooney but he offered nowt last year, blame that on him, blame it on the manager, blame who you like but not sure how we will miss a last seasons ineffectual Rooney.

I still have faith in May.

Anyone who doesn’t think we are weaker than we were last year is kidding themselves.
    And that was after McInnes said himself in April after the semi final embarrassment they we were effectively weaker then than we were the year before.
    So we’ve regressed further.

It’s going to take a couple of cracking signings to convince me otherwise.

And let’s be realistic, that’s highly unlikely.
    A couple of uninspiring loans & that’ll be it I suspect.

Page 422 of 530 FirstFirst ... 322372412420421422423424432472522 ... LastLast