+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 35 of 530 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Summer recruitment

Pretty sure you need to go back to the 60s to find a season in which AFC won a trophy and finished lower than 4th in the league.

Even the “Diddy” teams that have won the Cup in recent years were going through a bit of a purple patch.

Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    You can’t have a successful season without winning anything. I’d take 8th & a cup every single year
    That would make it a League Cup only then as the loss in finances through the season would cripple advancement. Loss of support money and Euro money and league placement money. Scottish Cup would come too late to enthuse anyone and have 2 decent incomes from semi and final? Or a meringue?

I appreciate we have a new stadium to pay for and some of the turnover will go straight into that although we are told be Mr Milne their is two funding streams one for the new stadium one for the playing pool. I suspect there will be some double dipping.
    The Glib and Shamless Lair has broken every rule financially since he came back to the Tribute Act. If fact they received a license to play in Europe last season defies all logic and fair play financial rules.
    He is banking literally on a run in Europe if they fail and without any investors 6 years in I honestly believe they will collapse into the abyss.
    just imagin if Dave McCormack did hand over a couple of million to Del now to spend on players that alone would scare the **** out of Newco .
    I don't simply want to throw monny at the club, but we do have a possible investor onboard who would hardy miss a couple of million each season, otherwise I don't see the point of being on the board. What he has committed to the club todate if fantastic but lets face it, he can afford it.

if we crash and burn next season and land up in the middle of the table I wont blame Del at all, I will blame the board and a golden opportunity to retain our rightful place at the top end he cannot work miracles on freebies and loans

Classic case we paid 300K for McLean and sold him for 750K. Its called profit

Given AFC's relative financial position, increased investment in the playing squad would give us a better chance of competing with Celtic but it wouldn't necessarily guarantee it. You could argue that we have done well with the resources available. Double our wage bill and it's still a fraction of Celtic's.

I would like to see us push the boat out for one or two signings but regardless of whether the budget is higher or lower we need to be smarter about how we spend it than the tims or the huns and that's never going to change. It's quite easy to spunk a load of cash in football to no great effect. See AFC in the mid to late 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by KIWIRED View Post
    I appreciate we have a new stadium to pay for and some of the turnover will go straight into that although we are told be Mr Milne their is two funding streams one for the new stadium one for the playing pool. I suspect there will be some double dipping.
    The Glib and Shamless Lair has broken every rule financially since he came back to the Tribute Act. If fact they received a license to play in Europe last season defies all logic and fair play financial rules.
    He is banking literally on a run in Europe if they fail and without any investors 6 years in I honestly believe they will collapse into the abyss.
    just imagin if Dave McCormack did hand over a couple of million to Del now to spend on players that alone would scare the **** out of Newco .
    I don't simply want to throw monny at the club, but we do have a possible investor onboard who would hardy miss a couple of million each season, otherwise I don't see the point of being on the board. What he has committed to the club todate if fantastic but lets face it, he can afford it.

if we crash and burn next season and land up in the middle of the table I wont blame Del at all, I will blame the board and a golden opportunity to retain our rightful place at the top end he cannot work miracles on freebies and loans

Did we? Doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by KIWIRED View Post

You’re a wee bit out with your numbers regarding McLean.

We bought him for £175k (the buy out clause).
    We sold him for £300k & loaned him back for 5 months.

How many signings do we honestly think we will make? The young lad from Hamilton (Ferguson) is the first for the new season.
    I will say we will pay a transfer fee for 2 players (on top of the fee we pay for the development of Ferguson) and sign another 4 freebies (7 in total for you lot that lack basic arithmetic skills ).

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    How many signings do we honestly think we will make? The young lad from Hamilton (Ferguson) is the first for the new season.
    I will say we will pay a transfer fee for 2 players (on top of the fee we pay for the development of Ferguson) and sign another 4 freebies (7 in total for you lot that lack basic arithmetic skills ).
    Probably about that number.
    Hopefully we won’t end up with 6 loanees like last season.

Ferguson
    a defender
    2 other midfielders & a striker

total 5

Quote Originally Posted by GGMDONS View Post
    Ferguson
    a defender
    2 other midfielders & a striker

total 5
    Nae sure if we need a striker Unless Rooney Away ? we have 3 at moment

Page 35 of 530 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast