+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 33 of 530 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Summer recruitment

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    I still fully expect us to at least finish 2nd next season. We will need to show a bit ambition in the transfer market if we are to make it difficult for Celtic though. The signings Rangers are making are nothing beyond what I expect them to bring to that club. Arfield is certainly a decent player but not a star player and will not be a catalyst to propel them up the league.
    Nothing to fear from them yet but at the moment we are currently a bit weaker but with some decent recruiting I fully expect us to be playing better football than last season.
    They were unbeaten against us when sh@te. A few good players in and they will improve greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Lets have a bit of reality here.

The have signed two players of higher quality(Arfield and Murphy) than we will sign and the season just ended yesterday. Im sure they will pull in a few more. They will be a much better team than this season unfortunatley.
    Murphy and Arfield may be decent players, but neither would make the celtic first 11. They're not targeting first place anymore with signings like that - they're targeting second.

When this dawns on the peepul they won't be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    They were unbeaten against us when sh@te. A few good players in and they will improve greatly.
    I don’t disagree Pacman that they will improve. We were absolutely terrible against them last season and I can only hope we show a bit more character in the matches against them to get the needed points. With the right recruitment we will improve because in all honesty we (even though we finished 2nd) hardly set the heather alight last season.
    Our whole club let us down against them last season from the directors to the playing staff. I believe we surely can improve. Gerrard is a name only as he was a fantastic player, but as a manager who will be under great pressure we can only hope he doesn’t live up to the hype the hun hoards think he will be.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    I don’t disagree Pacman that they will improve. We were absolutely terrible against them last season and I can only hope we show a bit more character in the matches against them to get the needed points. With the right recruitment we will improve because in all honesty we (even though we finished 2nd) hardly set the heather alight last season.
    Our whole club let us down against them last season from the directors to the playing staff. I believe we surely can improve. Gerrard is a name only as he was a fantastic player, but as a manager who will be under great pressure we can only hope he doesn’t live up to the hype the hun hoards think he will be.
    I agree that we will improve on this season. We ended up with 73 pts with one competent central defender, zero competent centre forwards, a goalkeeper who missed two months, zero left backs (competent or otherwise), a right back who only started playing like he can in March and a variety of wide players who were inconsistent at best. What we did have was a know how to beat teams worse than us, so that's most of the teams in the league. If we can maintain this know how (no reason that we can't), properly replace Kenny McLean and upgrade some of our weaknesss then for sure we can be better next season.

I wouldn't worry too much about sevco. Only 1 out of our 73 points (10 of their 70) was gained from them so surely with a stronger team we can take more points from them. They have no real money to spend so whilst their signings can't be any worse than this season they still have the arrogant need to waste the likes of £20K per week on a Pena or £15K a week on a Jack so whilst Gerrard is a big name that may attract higher paid players, I'm far from convinced that they will get the value for money that puts them out of our reach. Expect more loan signings that will be hit or miss and will be a drain on their finances.

Let's just worry about ourselves and making this window more of a success than the last three.

Personally I would quite happily finish 4th next season if we won a cup,finishing 2nd is great because we finished above the Huns yet it’s no where near as good as winning a trophy.

As for Stevie Gerrard he might improve them and end up finishing 2nd but he has no chance of winning the league which will deem whether he is a success or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    Personally I would quite happily finish 4th next season if we won a cup,finishing 2nd is great because we finished above the Huns yet it’s no where near as good as winning a trophy.

As for Stevie Gerrard he might improve them and end up finishing 2nd but he has no chance of winning the league which will deem whether he is a success or not.
    Totally agree. Unless we finish top, league placing is meaningless. We need to target the cups

Quote Originally Posted by Stavrum View Post
    Totally agree. Unless we finish top, league placing is meaningless. We need to target the cups
    We did that this season (McInnes was quoted as saying as much last summer)
    That worked out well.
    And we had good draws too.

League placing clearly isn’t meaningless. Obviously winning a cup would be fantastic but for a club like AFC it should be the icing on a successful season. Finishing 8th and fluking a cup wouldn’t be quite the same (although I would clearly have taken it in the past when we were sh*te).

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    League placing clearly isn’t meaningless. Obviously winning a cup would be fantastic but for a club like AFC it should be the icing on a successful season. Finishing 8th and fluking a cup wouldn’t be quite the same (although I would clearly have taken it in the past when we were sh*te).
    Fully agree.
    League placing is a reflection of our performances week in, week out.
    Imagine the seethe in here if we were a bottom 6 club.
    I doubt even a cup win would stop the clamour for managerial change.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    We did that this season (McInnes was quoted as saying as much last summer)
    That worked out well.
    And we had good draws too.
    Motherwell a bit of a strange bogey team for us this season past. They pasted us three times and unfortunately two of those were in the cups. Dispatched them without too much fuss in the other two league games.

Page 33 of 530 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast