+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 64 of 530 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Summer recruitment

I would much rather we took the time to get the right signings, than make some ****e ones. Even if that means an early exit from Europe, i would be willing to trade that in for a good squad by the start of the league season and increase our chances of some silverware. Dont get me wrong, a good run in Europe would be great, but lets be realistic, there isnt an iota of a chance of getting anything other than a decent financial boost.

Quote Originally Posted by sallan2000 View Post
    Does anyone know if Ferguson is even worth the 100K we are likely to pay in compensation? Never seen the lad play!
    I don't know personally but someone at my work who is a Hamilton fan rates him highly. They might be pish but they've had some good players come through over the years and by all accounts their current youth squad is the best in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    I don't know personally but someone at my work who is a Hamilton fan rates him highly. They might be pish but they've had some good players come through over the years and by all accounts their current youth squad is the best in the country.
    When a team fields young players early in their career, its clear which ones are likely to make the grade...

So many of our previous youngsters looked full of potential but never got enough first team experience to see if they could cut it, before being released

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Whats your expectations on signings?
    Who should the club go for?
    More to the point , can Red John tell us who we're going to beat in the Europa League and who's going to knock us out ?

I must've missed the draws being made

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Whats your expectations on signings?
    Who should the club go for?
    Expectations are two-fold;

1) we recruit better than last summer.
    2) we can perhaps afford a transfer fee or two (within reason) due to the AberDNA success. Forrester will cost money from Peterborough & Ferguson similar from Hamilton

As to the "who"?

My thoughts are pretty well known - we're over reliant on the lower leagues of England, which has the most over-rated and over-paid leagues in the world.
    Russ Richardson the Head of Recruitment has a patchy record for recommendations from England.
    You'd get better value by OCCASIONALLY looking in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe etc, but that would cost more in scouting.

My guess is we'll sign about 4 OR 5 permanently prior to kicking off, then have a couple of loanees signed towards the end of the window once the English clubs have their squads sorted for the season.
    Maybe 6 signed up by 31 Aug.
    Last edited by RedStarTorphins; 05-06-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Why would it cost more to scout in Eastern Europe?

It's not like we would pay someone's air fare every time you wanted to watch a game.

My guess is that it would cost less to hire a Slovak scout to keep an eye on Czech, Hungarian, Slovakian, Austrian and Slovenian football for example.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Why would it cost more to scout in Eastern Europe?

It's not like we would pay someone's air fare every time you wanted to watch a game.

My guess is that it would cost less to hire a Slovak scout to keep an eye on Czech, Hungarian, Slovakian, Austrian and Slovenian football for example.
    If that's the case, even more reason to do so.
    But how many foreign players has DM signed?
    Arnason, and he was a known quantity

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post
    More to the point , can Red John tell us who we're going to beat in the Europa League and who's going to knock us out ?

I must've missed the draws being made
    At least half of the teams that we can play in QR2?
    Last edited by RedStarTorphins; 05-06-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    At least half of the teams that we can play in QR2?
    Try again

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post
    Try again
    I was going to say two-thirds, but didn’t want to be accused of negativity

Page 64 of 530 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast