+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 190 of 530 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240290 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 5293

Thread: 2018 Summer recruitment

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Is that as close as an "In Deek we trust" we'll get RST ?
    About time he was coming round to my way of thinking

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    David McGoldrick the new Nicky Maynard
    Why? Just cos he is black?

if we are bidding £500k for players I've never heard of at least it confirms we have plenty left in the kitty.

Would have a preference for paying whacking signing on fees to the last of the freebie signigs though. I think that is a better business model.

Quote Originally Posted by D31 View Post
    if we are bidding £500k for players I've never heard of at least it confirms we have plenty left in the kitty.

Would have a preference for paying whacking signing on fees to the last of the freebie signigs though. I think that is a better business model.
    According to the local Doncaster newspaper we did make a bid for Marquis but nowhere near what was quoted.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk...bids-1-9236672

Who would drop out to give Wright some game time?
    Play McGinn at no10, does that not impact Forrester?

With injuries, suspensions, form etc, we need players to be adaptable.
    I would agree that McInnes should be more ruthless by dropping players who drop form.
    at least then that gives more incentive to make an impact when they are playing
    I'm just saying, we've got sufficient options that there's no need to be playing strikers out wide... play McGinn, GMS, Wright in the wide areas, and play Forrester or McGinn in the no10 position.

I agree we need players to be adaptable, but within reason - McGinn, GMS, Wright can play anywhere across the 3 behind the striker (not sure about Forrester as I've never seen him), but the guys who are strikers should only ever play in the striker role (assuming we keep the same setup as previous seasons).

Quote Originally Posted by 87kilos View Post
    GMS has been inconsistent throughout his career, nowt to do with a position change. He can be amazing in patches of games ghosting past players like they're not there and at other times he can't trap a bag of cement.

McGinn's groin injury flared up again. Again nowt to do with a change of position.

Good argument despite the facts being totally wrong.

Personally I (as I've said quite a lot in this thread) just don't think we're agressive or attacking enough as borne out by the amount of crappy 1-0 wins we scape at times. With a bit more belief and aggression we could easily turn those 1-0 wins into 3 & 4 goal games.
    Yes GMS has been inconsistent throughout his career (which is likely why he's playing for us and not someone in the EPL) and yes McGinn was affected by injury towards the end of the season, but I think if you look back you'll find that they were both on good form and we came to a couple of games (I think perhaps involving the Old Firm or maybe Hibs) and McInnes deployed them in unusual positions which coincided with their loss of form - it may have been due to the reasons you mention but at the time I felt it was related to being moved out of position.

Either way - point is, GMS and McGinn are about as good as you're going to get in wide areas in the SPL outwith Celtic, so play them in the wide areas and give them someone to hit in the box who can actually score - i.e. Rooney.

I agree with your point about the need for more aggression and confidence - with the attacking threat we have (albeit slightly diminished with Hayes, Christie and McLean leaving in the last year) we should be striking fear into everyone we come up against, as we were a couple seasons back when we did have quite a few big wins.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    Could be 12.
    Could be 15, 18, 24.
    Take your pick.
    But he is.
    We need a new first pick centre forward.
    If he has been going backwards for 24 months his career would be over because he wasn’t that good at anything before apart from one thing.

He still is good at that one thing and if he gets used as the first pick centre forward he will score goals.

For some strange reason a lot of fans don’t think that’s enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    If he has been going backwards for 24 months his career would be over because he wasn’t that good at anything before apart from one thing.

He still is good at that one thing and if he gets used as the first pick centre forward he will score goals.

For some strange reason a lot of fans don’t think that’s enough.
    Exactly... would you rather have a striker who scores 20 goals a season, assists about 3 and does very little else, or a striker who scores about 5 goals a season, assists another 5 and runs about a bit more making one or two extra passes?

Strikers are there to score goals. Rooney scores goals, which is why he is still our best option in that position. We should be working on how we can get the ball to him in the box, because if we do he'll score. McInnes is too busy working out how he can get Stevie May in the team at all costs (understandable to an extent because he shelled out a good sized fee for him). Of course if you can get a guy who can score 20 goals, assist 15 goals and do a whole lot else, we should obviously be looking at them, but they're more than likely going to be out of our price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Exactly... would you rather have a striker who scores 20 goals a season, assists about 3 and does very little else, or a striker who scores about 5 goals a season, assists another 5 and runs about a bit more making one or two extra passes?

Strikers are there to score goals. Rooney scores goals, which is why he is still our best option in that position. We should be working on how we can get the ball to him in the box, because if we do he'll score. McInnes is too busy working out how he can get Stevie May in the team at all costs (understandable to an extent because he shelled out a good sized fee for him). Of course if you can get a guy who can score 20 goals, assist 15 goals and do a whole lot else, we should obviously be looking at them, but they're more than likely going to be out of our price range.
    All valid points, but I think that teams were starting to suss us out.
    We started to see that starving Rooney of the service, meant that we offered very little alternative threat.
    So I think that the idea was to change out a striker, who may score less, but get more from the attacking midfielders and offer variation in our attacks.
    If we managed to get three attacking midfielders scoring 10 goals each, its better than one striker scoring 20 goals and means we are not exposed so much when said star striker is unavailable

Now I know it didn't work out that way last year, but I'm sure most will see what I am trying to put across.

Cue the slagging posts to the above suggestion.
    Remember, its just an opinion, you can agree with it or not.

All valid points, but I think that teams were starting to suss us out.
    We started to see that starving Rooney of the service, meant that we offered very little alternative threat.
    So I think that the idea was to change out a striker, who may score less, but get more from the attacking midfielders and offer variation in our attacks.
    If we managed to get three attacking midfielders scoring 10 goals each, its better than one striker scoring 20 goals and means we are not exposed so much when said star striker is unavailable

Now I know it didn't work out that way last year, but I'm sure most will see what I am trying to put across.

Cue the slagging posts to the above suggestion.
    Remember, its just an opinion, you can agree with it or not.
    Great post 3 players scoring 10 goals each is better than 1 20 goal player I’m sure that sort of mathematics is beyond most of us on here

Page 190 of 530 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240290 ... LastLast