+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tonight's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Dyer View Post
    Correct. But...

We play Brechin the following Tuesday. Assuming we win that (LOL) we will go level on points with Livi, however they've scored about 15 goals more than us and will also have a game in hand...against Brechin!

At best we will go into the last game of the season against them 3 points behind but would need to win about 8-0 as our goal difference is absolute horse ****! No happening.
    Livi still to play ICT as well so possible dropped points there. We really need to win all 4 games to have chance of 2nd, not likely but possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie arab View Post
    Livi still to play ICT as well so possible dropped points there. We really need to win all 4 games to have chance of 2nd, not likely but possible.
    Think I may be overwhelmed by last night's result and feeling a bit delusional as a result but here goes.

Livi should beat Brechin but could easily draw with both ICT and St Mirren.

If we win our next 3 games, and after last night's performance, there's no reason why not, we would be 2 points behind going into the final game against them and a win would let us finish in second.

Finishing the league like that would give us a massive psychological lift as well as the benefit of playing 2 less games.

Quote Originally Posted by spikeontheright View Post
    Think I may be overwhelmed by last night's result and feeling a bit delusional as a result but here goes.

Livi should beat Brechin but could easily draw with both ICT and St Mirren.

If we win our next 3 games, and after last night's performance, there's no reason why not, we would be 2 points behind going into the final game against them and a win would let us finish in second.

Finishing the league like that would give us a massive psychological lift as well as the benefit of playing 2 less games.
    I'm not sure about any benefit of playing two less games. I look upon it as two more games being a benefit in terms of gaining momentum. We've a big squad.

It makes huge difference to get 2nd.

Firstly it is 2 less matches which mustbhelping resting up and focusing on games to come - after we have had fixture backlog.

Secondly the extra tie is another 50/50 chance we get eliminated.

Eg if we get 2nd then Livi play Dunf. Dunf have decent record against Livi and edge them out over two legs.

We have a better record against Dunf then Livi and manage to beat Dunf to get to final.

Compare that to alternative where we are third. We have to beat 2 teams instead of 1 to get to final. Might edge past Dunf but would then lose to Livi

We have to go for second and after last night I think there is a chance. Need to start with 3 points on Saturday

We've not won TWO games on the spin since last year, never mind four. That's simply not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    We've not won TWO games on the spin since last year, never mind four. That's simply not happening.
    You don't have to win both legs of a playoff to progress.

Ehv a wee feeling last night may be a turning point in the season. First and foremost make sure we get in playoffs then it's like being in a quarter final of a cup competition against teams of similar standard, anything can happen. Remember last season we were robbed of a first leg league against the accies by a shocking refereeing decision.
    If the stay away fans can come back and get behind the team for remaining games you just never know.
    CMON UTD!

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    You don't have to win both legs of a playoff to progress.
    No, I was referring to our ability to win our last four to claim second place. Regardless, yes I want to see us in the play offs, but can't for the life of me see how we can come through them.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    No, I was referring to our ability to win our last four to claim second place. Regardless, yes I want to see us in the play offs, but can't for the life of me see how we can come through them.
    Ah got you now.

For me let's just get the playoffs sorted and if possible a higher position.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie arab View Post
    Ehv a wee feeling last night may be a turning point in the season. First and foremost make sure we get in playoffs then it's like being in a quarter final of a cup competition against teams of similar standard, anything can happen. Remember last season we were robbed of a first leg league against the accies by a shocking refereeing decision.
    If the stay away fans can come back and get behind the team for remaining games you just never know.
    CMON UTD!
    Good analogy re like being in a quarter finals. If we get second it is a bye into the semis

I agree that last night should be a turning point. Confirms we can beat anyone on our day

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)