+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Is Burglar Bill entitled to a shrine?

OT: Is Burglar Bill entitled to a shrine?

Henry Vincent, a 37 year old traveller and inveterate burglar, was stabbed to death by the house owner he was trying to rob. Vincent took a screwdriver as a weapon but that was turned on him by the house owner and Vincent was killed outright.
    Vincent's girl friend, parents and kids have set up a flower shrine opposite the house in which he died. They say he may have been a career criminal but he was a loving dad and a kind man to all of his friends and deserves the respect of a memorial and the anger of those who oppose the shrine is OTT.
    This is the kind of story the Daily Mail thrives on. 'An Engishman's home is his castle, etc. The burglar was scum, a worthless person who should not be celebrated.'
    Any sympathy out there for Burglar Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Henry Vincent, a 37 year old traveller and inveterate burglar, was stabbed to death by the house owner he was trying to rob. Vincent took a screwdriver as a weapon but that was turned on him by the house owner and Vincent was killed outright.
    Vincent's girl friend, parents and kids have set up a flower shrine opposite the house in which he died. They say he may have been a career criminal but he was a loving dad and a kind man to all of his friends and deserves the respect of a memorial and the anger of those who oppose the shrine is OTT.
    This is the kind of story the Daily Mail thrives on. 'An Engishman's home is his castle, etc. The burglar was scum, a worthless person who should not be celebrated.'
    Not from me.....if anyone tries breaking into my house...they will be getting a machete to the face as a hello present...protect yourself, protect your family, protect your friends, protect your country....simple as.

Cue the "do~gooders" on here that say actually he was a decent guy, lack of care, lack of understanding, poverty, blah blah blah, if only we had more police etc etc

Nope.
    He was a career pond life, who preyed on pensioners.
    He was known to brag about it on social media, despite the devastation he caused. Everyone deserves to be safe in their own home. At that age, more so.

What gives this scum the right to rub everyone's nose in it, by covering other peoples property with their sympathy tokens, escapes me. Not that Pi keys respect other peoples properties anyway.
    They have already been issuing death threats and vows of revenge. Who wants to see their hypocritical notes on the door step as well.
    You want a shrine? Do it on your door step.

Had he broken into my place, his mate wouldn't have gotten out either. That's if they'd gotten past the dogs first I suppose.
    But luckily my Waffen SS training will come in handy( thought I'd get that in, before the usual snowflakes do)

Good question.

Given that he brought a screwdriver to "defend" himself (or aid in his escape) and that he died by his own weapon then clearly was in the business of threatening harm to others and died in the process of doing so. In that sense I have far less sympathy in this death than I would had it been any of his victims. Nonetheless, any early death is a tragedy and not everyone had the same relationship with him as those he was robbing. In that case, he will be remembered by his family and friends for the much better relationship he had with them. I have no qualms with their grieving his death as anyone would. Is right across the street from the house he died robbing the most appropriate place for such a shrine? Probably not - it's rather insensitive to the people he was robbing and who now have to live with the fact that he/she/they killed him.

I have to hand it to you though Sid.

There's a **** storm brewing in the Middle East and the UN is virtually authorising military action.

Yet you drag a Pi key slime balls, flowergate into the fray over it. All in the name of having a go at right wingers and the Daily Mail. You should move to the North pole, snowflake heaven for you.
    Lets hope you're not the Pi key robbing list next, whilst the rest of us stock up on beans and 7 up

It's a no from me. The family have the right to grieve and mourn the loss but not in the face of the family and community that he had chosen to victimise. They should lament the life and death of their family member in their own private way. There will be very little public sympathy for him and the act of setting up any sort of shrine in the face of his victims is only going to be seen as provocative. The innocent victims do not need a reminder of the crimes committed against them and the subsequent danger that they faced. They will have their own emotional trauma to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    It's a no from me. The family have the right to grieve and mourn the loss but not in the face of the family and community that he had chosen to victimise. They should lament the life and death of their family member in their own private way.
    Very well put Tony. Just what I wanted to say, but you said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    It's a no from me. The family have the right to grieve and mourn the loss but not in the face of the family and community that he had chosen to victimise. They should lament the life and death of their family member in their own private way. There will be very little public sympathy for him and the act of setting up any sort of shrine in the face of his victims is only going to be seen as provocative. The innocent victims do not need a reminder of the crimes committed against them and the subsequent danger that they faced. They will have their own emotional trauma to deal with.
    Is the correct answer. The pensioner should not have been put in that position in the first place and should not have to go back to his home to see a shrine of flowers outside. The first thing that should happen is for it to be removed.

It must not be forgotten that the pensioner was the victim in this case, and will no doubt be suffering like the victim of any crime committed against them as you say. As for the burgular he signed his own death warrant when he decided to enter the property.

The filth got exactly what he deserved... he didn't bring the screwdriver with him to change the batteries in his torch... fair play to the guy for defending himself and his family...we had a case here where a traveler broke into the house of my neighbor who shot at him with his rifle and got him in the leg.... and guess what... my neighbor got dragged through the courts for it, had to pay a huge fine to the scumbag who was trying to rob him and only narrowly avoided jail time! you could not make it up

I accept there will be people mourning for him, but the shrine from what I’ve read is more to stir up a reaction. He isn’t a victim. The guy that defended his life is. He hasn’t returned to the house for fear of a revenge attack!
    What I detest is the assessment of ‘reasonable force’ in these cases.
    You’re woken at 3am by an unknown intruder potentially there to harm you and your family. It’s pitch black your adrenaline must be through the roof, and you’re supposed to be able to judge ‘reasonable.’
    The second you break into someone’s house, you should forefeit any human rights!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast