+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we are not very good anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
    That's the most pertinent statement from the OP.

CW has set a new norm with this team, anorm that should see us hopeful and demanding of of further progression rather than being the eternally grateful, just settle for your lot, Blade that's happy to say 'haven't we done well'

Regardless of who comes down, next year will be much harder and there will be less tolerance of a mid table ( or lower) finish than this year and, for me, thats what's on the cards.........................................unle ss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The way I see it is that this team is broadly last season’s League One promotion winning team (as is Millwall’s) and our acquisitions in the main have also come from League One.

I’d be the first to criticise the dip in form compared to 2017 if Wilder had had a large wedge of cash to bring in known Championship level quality in the summer and January windows but he didn’t get it. We have the 6th lowest team budget in the division. We (and Millwall) are massively over-achieving not because of what we the fans deserve and our club’s support and status in the game but because of financial constraints. Many of our players more used to the lower leagues will be have to be 100% on it full tilt every game at this level, that’s a massive thing to ask of somebody week in week out both physically and mentally. There’s a reason why a lot of our players never made it at a higher lever and the only way some will continue to develope (e.g. O'Connel Baldock and Fleck) is by bringing in top quality alongside them where’s others will never be top performers at this level IMO like for example Stevens, Wright and Moore

It’s just the same in the world outside football. Some people can sail through their working life taking everything in their stride, wherea to others start showing cracks over time if put under pressure that they’re not used to. I believe that’s where we are at now, I genuinely think everybody on the playing side are giving their all to the best of their ability and because if that it’s hard to fault them when you see how far we’ve come. What they’ve all achieved under Wilder is despite our board and owners, not because of it, and if they don’t finally get their act together within the next few weeks, we could lose the real jewel in our crown, Wilder, and your ‘(or lower)’ will be the best we could hope for TT.

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    Some fans will never be satisfied and that's up to them,if the season had been reversed and we'd started badly and been in this position nar perhaps some would feel happier.I've enjoyed this season we've played some very good football at times,what'll happen next season?I for one have no idea but all bein well health wise i'll be theer cheerin on my team and it won't depend on whether we're in the runnin for promotion/play offs,i just enjoy goin to BDBL but each to their own.UTCB
    I’ve been saying that a while Rod. It’s pretty much what Millwall have done and their fans think they’ve had a wonder season and yet we could be level on points with them on Saturday. UTB

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    The way I see it is that this team is broadly last season’s League One promotion winning team (as is Millwall’s) and our acquisitions in the main have also come from League One.

I’d be the first to criticise the dip in form compared to 2017 if Wilder had had a large wedge of cash to bring in known Championship level quality in the summer and January windows but he didn’t get it. We have the 6th lowest team budget in the division. We (and Millwall) are massively over-achieving not because of what we the fans deserve and our club’s support and status in the game but because of financial constraints. Many of our players more used to the lower leagues will be have to be 100% on it full tilt every game at this level, that’s a massive thing to ask of somebody week in week out both physically and mentally. There’s a reason why a lot of our players never made it at a higher lever and the only way some will continue to develope (e.g. O'Connel Baldock and Fleck) is by bringing in top quality alongside them where’s others will never be top performers at this level IMO like for example Stevens, Wright and Moore

It’s just the same in the world outside football. Some people can sail through their working life taking everything in their stride, wherea to others start showing cracks over time if put under pressure that they’re not used to. I believe that’s where we are at now, I genuinely think everybody on the playing side are giving their all to the best of their ability and because if that it’s hard to fault them when you see how far we’ve come. What they’ve all achieved under Wilder is despite our board and owners, not because of it, and if they don’t finally get their act together within the next few weeks, we could lose the real jewel in our crown, Wilder, and your ‘(or lower)’ will be the best we could hope for TT.
    As you might expect I fully concur with you about the lack of investment Gray.

My pessimism for next season, should we still have the same mentality and squad,is based on the facts you outline.

CW has got more out of what are basically L1 players than anyone could rightfully expect, well, fans and those with a basic knowledge of football , but,as we have seen all too often, the board/owners don't think that way- " why can't he do the same next year, he's got the same squad?" you can almost hear them saying.

Next year those same players will do very well to achieve what they have this year and that is why I am pessimistic ( or, more likely, realistic). The 'new norm' I refer to is what most will expect in terms of achievement and levels and, logically, having achieved this step up, you would expect any business( real world or footbal) to build on this. Experience tells us that is not the SUFC way.

I understand others' points of view and delight , and am myself, more than delighted with this year's progress, as is everyone else ( well almost everyone) but it seems daft to me not to capitalise on it.

The consequences of not doing so are more critical than ever because, as you state, the risk of losing CW is a risk too far.

That's why the new norm has to be the base standard to set off from next year, ...........whichever league we are in.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbeanstattoo View Post
    Sorry I haven't spent my whole posting life writing s h it about the pigs and nothing else.
    True, you've spent most of your posting life writing s**t about the Blades and little else. Rather slag something I detest than something I support. Still you and Brian the Blade know more about football than us mere mortals.

As you might expect I fully concur with you about the lack of investment Gray.

My pessimism for next season, should we still have the same mentality and squad,is based on the facts you outline.

CW has got more out of what are basically L1 players than anyone could rightfully expect, well, fans and those with a basic knowledge of football , but,as we have seen all too often, the board/owners don't think that way- " why can't he do the same next year, he's got the same squad?" you can almost hear them saying.

Next year those same players will do very well to achieve what they have this year and that is why I am pessimistic ( or, more likely, realistic). The 'new norm' I refer to is what most will expect in terms of achievement and levels and, logically, having achieved this step up, you would expect any business( real world or footbal) to build on this. Experience tells us that is not the SUFC way.

I understand others' points of view and delight , and am myself, more than delighted with this year's progress, as is everyone else ( well almost everyone) but it seems daft to me not to capitalise on it.

The consequences of not doing so are more critical than ever because, as you state, the risk of losing CW is a risk too far.

That's why the new norm has to be the base standard to set off from next year, ...........whichever league we are in.
    TT - with respect, if our squad are "basically L1 players" please take a look at attached breakdown of Middlesborough Squad......a lot of money spent...on what?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-m...ite/verein/641

There's nobody I particularly fancy in there, particularly after last night's showing in a v important match.
    Our players were League 1 players, who are now improving into Championship players.....its possible under the right management.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    TT - with respect, if our squad are "basically L1 players" please take a look at attached breakdown of Middlesborough Squad......a lot of money spent...on what?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-m...ite/verein/641

There's nobody I particularly fancy in there, particularly after last night's showing in a v important match.
    Our players were League 1 players, who are now improving into Championship players.....its possible under the right management.
    See, that's the mentality that stifles us.

"Haven't we done well for little lads against the big boys?"

No one, well me and many others, are not saying we haven't done fantastically well in comparison to the rest but.....

I agree it's not ALL about money but, if you're making the manager shop in Aldi all the time and expect to get the equivalent of a Michelin star for the food you are kidding yourself.

A bit of flair, a bit of expertise , a bit of innovation coupled with ability and experience will make the most mundane scrag end into a dish fit for kings(PL) if the recipe,the ingredients and the chef (CW) enhance the dish with a bit of quality.

Forgive the analogy but the silk purse out of a sow's ear expectations of our board/owners is not sustainable

Aya, the breakdown is based on current worth of the players. Abonalongbang cost £15.5 million, shows his worth as £10.5m. Cost the club as below:-

Cyrus Christie £2,500,000
    Jonathon Howson £5,000,000
    George Miller £1,000,000
    Martin Braithwaite £9,000,000
    Britt Assombalonga £15,000,000
    Darren Randolph £5,000,000
    Ashley Fletcher £6,500,000
    Marvin Johnson £3,000,000
    Ryan Shotton £2,500,000

Total £49.5 million

against our £3.5 million.

Jordan Nogoals is shown as costing£10.5 million but his current worth is £ 1 19s 8d

See, that's the mentality that stifles us.

"Haven't we done well for little lads against the big boys?"

No one, well me and many others, are not saying we haven't done fantastically well in comparison to the rest but.....

I agree it's not ALL about money but, if you're making the manager shop in Aldi all the time and expect to get the equivalent of a Michelin star for the food you are kidding yourself.

A bit of flair, a bit of expertise , a bit of innovation coupled with ability and experience will make the most mundane scrag end into a dish fit for kings(PL) if the recipe,the ingredients and the chef (CW) enhance the dish with a bit of quality.

Forgive the analogy but the silk purse out of a sow's ear expectations of our board/owners is not sustainable
    True, money doesn't talk, it screams. Really hope our two owners can see sense in the Summer, but my expectations aren't high.

Just checked the valuation of Brookes and it's £4.5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    Aya, the breakdown is based on current worth of the players. Abonalongbang cost £15.5 million, shows his worth as £10.5m. Cost the club as below:-

Cyrus Christie £2,500,000
    Jonathon Howson £5,000,000
    George Miller £1,000,000
    Martin Braithwaite £9,000,000
    Britt Assombalonga £15,000,000
    Darren Randolph £5,000,000
    Ashley Fletcher £6,500,000
    Marvin Johnson £3,000,000
    Ryan Shotton £2,500,000

Total £49.5 million

against our £3.5 million.

Jordan Nogoals is shown as costing£10.5 million but his current worth is £ 1 19s 8d
    Stark comparison that, we know from the crap across the city spending doesn’t guarantee success, but I think we could trust Wilder to spend the money wisely if he was allowed to shop at Championship level for players.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Stark comparison that, we know from the crap across the city spending doesn’t guarantee success, but I think we could trust Wilder to spend the money wisely if he was allowed to shop at Championship level for players.
    Would just like to hear who these "championship" level players are that would improve our team

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast