Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
That's the most pertinent statement from the OP.

CW has set a new norm with this team, anorm that should see us hopeful and demanding of of further progression rather than being the eternally grateful, just settle for your lot, Blade that's happy to say 'haven't we done well'

Regardless of who comes down, next year will be much harder and there will be less tolerance of a mid table ( or lower) finish than this year and, for me, thats what's on the cards.........................................unle ss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The way I see it is that this team is broadly last season’s League One promotion winning team (as is Millwall’s) and our acquisitions in the main have also come from League One.

I’d be the first to criticise the dip in form compared to 2017 if Wilder had had a large wedge of cash to bring in known Championship level quality in the summer and January windows but he didn’t get it. We have the 6th lowest team budget in the division. We (and Millwall) are massively over-achieving not because of what we the fans deserve and our club’s support and status in the game but because of financial constraints. Many of our players more used to the lower leagues will be have to be 100% on it full tilt every game at this level, that’s a massive thing to ask of somebody week in week out both physically and mentally. There’s a reason why a lot of our players never made it at a higher lever and the only way some will continue to develope (e.g. O'Connel Baldock and Fleck) is by bringing in top quality alongside them where’s others will never be top performers at this level IMO like for example Stevens, Wright and Moore

It’s just the same in the world outside football. Some people can sail through their working life taking everything in their stride, wherea to others start showing cracks over time if put under pressure that they’re not used to. I believe that’s where we are at now, I genuinely think everybody on the playing side are giving their all to the best of their ability and because if that it’s hard to fault them when you see how far we’ve come. What they’ve all achieved under Wilder is despite our board and owners, not because of it, and if they don’t finally get their act together within the next few weeks, we could lose the real jewel in our crown, Wilder, and your ‘(or lower)’ will be the best we could hope for TT.