+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we are not very good anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    FFS get a life you negative bore.
    Sorry I haven't spent my whole posting life writing s h it about the pigs and nothing else.

The op makes some valid points but is way over the top.

Forget 2017, our 2018 results alone still put us comfortably in mid table and I didn’t come across one Blade who wouldn’t have been happy with that in August especially knowing Wilder wouldn’t get the backing he deserved (and hasn’t) compared with other clubs.

Here’s the 2018 table (last 20 games), last night’s win isn’t included in the stats.

Name:  E7C56DA5-DEA1-41D3-990E-F654C59770B4.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  19.0 KB

I think if you spoke to Wilder he would be very,very disappointed with a lot of our performances and results since Xmas. Admitting to reading the riot act on a number of occaisions lends weight to that and last time I looked he was quite an avid Unitedite. Having looked legitimate contenders for automatic promotion for a good stretch to stumbling from the odd win to rubbish like Barnsley and Forest to name just 2 recent games is the reality,not what folk thought might be good before a ball was kicked last August.

I bet the biggest stat last night was how many times we lost the ball or passed it to the opposition.

i would have brought leon off he did absolutely nothing last night

Quote Originally Posted by seanbeanstattoo View Post
    I think if you spoke to Wilder he would be very,very disappointed with a lot of our performances and results since Xmas. Admitting to reading the riot act on a number of occaisions lends weight to that and last time I looked he was quite an avid Unitedite. Having looked legitimate contenders for automatic promotion for a good stretch to stumbling from the odd win to rubbish like Barnsley and Forest to name just 2 recent games is the reality,not what folk thought might be good before a ball was kicked last August.

I bet the biggest stat last night was how many times we lost the ball or passed it to the opposition.
    Agreed that’s definitely part of the issue and I bet Wilder is as puzzledas the rest of us, but it’s got to be linked with mindset or lack of general confidence. Both fans and players alike seem to flip over into being nervous wrecks too easily. We can play as well as we did in the first half last night and the Cardiff game, but I bet we were all dreading Boro getting an early goal second half because we knew our lads would get the jitters just like most expected Cardiff to score late on, but we should never be in that position with the chances we create.

Putting games to bed when on top is our main problem IMO. If Clarke had done what he should have done yesterday we’d probably have strolled through that second half, he’s not just not talking chances he missing absolute sitters, but who have we to bring in apart from Billy who has a better chance to goal ratio but doesn’t seem as good a fit for our gameplay? It was good seeing Evans finally get on the score sheet because if Clarke or Billy aren’t on it we nearly always struggle, there’s just not enough goals throughout the team for me and that’s what’s got to be addressed, but unfortunately scoring goals is the one thing that can’t be trained in so I cant see much changing this season.

Going forward we need some new blood and better cover especially up front, our strikers are all nearing retirement age but that’s going to need serious investment so I won’t hold my breath. Overall though, I can’t get too down or disappointed over this season mate. I think Wilder’s worked wonders with what he’s had at his disposal and the fact that we’ve still got a reasonable chance of getting in the playoffs with 4 to go is frankly unbelievable Jeff, no matter what happens from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    i would have brought leon off he did absolutely nothing last night
    I think the fact that he’s been ‘undroppable’ says everything about our strength in depth SOB. He’s the only player we’ve got who can link the play like he does when he’s on his game, so he gets the nod. We really do need to clear the decks up front.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyEdge View Post
    We're a decent side who combine a hard pressing game with the ability to pass the ball around. That's how weve managed to stop teams playing and then gone on to beat them and that's what happened in the first half last night.
    The problem, though, is that when teams press us hard we don't cope very well with it either. We have players who can pass and move but not at speed so when we're pressed we struggle. Dingles and last nights second half is the proof of that, plus other examples.
    But that's the real issue here, we're a decent side. We've got no world beaters, no superstars, just a team of decent players who work hard and play as a unit and that's what has got us where we are.
    Truth is we missed yet another sitter last night (Clarke) that would've sent us in 3-0 up and Boro would've spent the second half on damage limitation and we'd all be talking about a great win (it still was a great win incidentally).
    Look at the chances missed against Brentford, Cardiff and Dingles. I'm ot talking about the odd chance I'm talking about glaring 1 v 1 or chances with the goal at the players mercy. Chances that other teams in the top 10 have players who will put them away more often than not.
    4 games left, 3 points outside the play-offs and 2 of the teams above us still to play, i'dhave taken that in August.
    Nice positive message JE as I thought at the start of this thread we were 10 points adrift with Adkins as manager.

At this stage of the season I would take 4 absolutely crap performances and scrape 8 or 9 points which might just get us a top 6 place.

The second half last night I agree was pretty dire but like CW has said we were not up against a mug team or manager, The game changed in the 2nd half and we only have ourselves to blame for been caught cold at the start of the half which has happened many times before may I add,

Boro matched up with their own back 5 and the three subs and new formation I think "startled" us to be honest and we really struggled throughout the second half,

Brooksy played well but he visibly tires after 70 minutes and Flecky pulled up towards the end with a leg strain which clearly slowed him down although I did think that CW would have hauled him off.

The issue for me is the quality of our subs particularly up top which is where at this level the better teams kill games off and this is where the board should hang their heads in shame because of the lack of funds given to Chris back in January which will in my view ultimately decide our future.

We have adequate depth in most areas but it is up the top where the last minute winners come from as despite our back 5 sometimes performing heroics they are always going to concede 1 or 2 at this level. UTB

I think the biggest stat last night was we had 66% possession to Midds 34%......we had 11 shots to their 7.....we had 3 shots on target to their 2....and we scored 2 goals to their 1.

Really not worth dragging the rest of it through the mud now - if you want us to push to the playoffs - now is not the time to get too negative.

I'm not interested in how well we did until the end of 2017. It's not how you start it's how you finish.
    That's the most pertinent statement from the OP.

CW has set a new norm with this team, anorm that should see us hopeful and demanding of of further progression rather than being the eternally grateful, just settle for your lot, Blade that's happy to say 'haven't we done well'

Regardless of who comes down, next year will be much harder and there will be less tolerance of a mid table ( or lower) finish than this year and, for me, thats what's on the cards.........................................unle ss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some fans will never be satisfied and that's up to them,if the season had been reversed and we'd started badly and been in this position nar perhaps some would feel happier.I've enjoyed this season we've played some very good football at times,what'll happen next season?I for one have no idea but all bein well health wise i'll be theer cheerin on my team and it won't depend on whether we're in the runnin for promotion/play offs,i just enjoy goin to BDBL but each to their own.UTCB

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast