+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jason Oswell

Jason Oswell

Anyone else been tracking the latest exploits of our former academy grad who we let go for nothing?
    50 goals in 95 games for Newtown in the WPL and now 24 in 35 for Stockport County in the National League North.
    Maybe, just maybe, at 25 he has matured.
    I don't know much about him, apart from his good upbringing ( ), but could he be one worth giving another try, in the same way that Sorvel and Duggy came good 2nd time around?
    It's about time we unearthed another non-league gem!!!

Leading National League North strikers going for about £250,000 these days, so probably not lol.

Yeh,they'll want a tidy sum for him-that's for sure.
    Probably more than we'd be prepared to gamble with.
    And it would be a gamble alright if he's only played at those levels.

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    Anyone else been tracking the latest exploits of our former academy grad who we let go for nothing?
    50 goals in 95 games for Newtown in the WPL and now 24 in 35 for Stockport County in the National League North.
    Maybe, just maybe, at 25 he has matured.
    I don't know much about him, apart from his good upbringing ( ), but could he be one worth giving another try, in the same way that Sorvel and Duggy came good 2nd time around?
    It's about time we unearthed another non-league gem!!!
    Another one we let go, it would appear. Left us at the end of the 2011-12 season, after signing professional terms at the beginning of that season. Free scoring with Stockport, I see. The Alex have discarded too many decent prospects in recent years and that really doe annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick View Post
    Another one we let go, it would appear. Left us at the end of the 2011-12 season, after signing professional terms at the beginning of that season. Free scoring with Stockport, I see. The Alex have discarded too many decent prospects in recent years and that really doe annoy me.
    In all probability Mick, Jason has been able to get the type of games and experience, that have resulted in his current level of performance, simply because he was released. That's just the way it works sometimes; decisions have to be made. We now have Lewis Reilly - just signed a two year contract extension this week - who is a very similar player to the Jason Oswell I remember seeing for the youth team, and closer to the first team than Jason managed in his time here.

If its taken him 6 years to get to being a success at National League North, I don't think anyone should call him a missed opportunity.

Economics dictate that we have to make decisions on players and their potential. Logic says that some who leave will go on to do well. A bit of perspective says that this guy is knocking goals in at a lower level than we are currently playing. There is nothing to say that had he stayed he would have been successful. We really can't keep every player on the off chance that in 6 years he may start to show some form.

I thought that it was a mistake to let Colin Daniel go, but he was probably unlucky that his contract expired as another round of savings was due. However, the club has to take a punt on who will develop and who will not. Chey Dunkeley took a few years to return to league football after we let him go, and there are many who never make it back for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Economics dictate that we have to make decisions on players and their potential. Logic says that some who leave will go on to do well. A bit of perspective says that this guy is knocking goals in at a lower level than we are currently playing. There is nothing to say that had he stayed he would have been successful. We really can't keep every player on the off chance that in 6 years he may start to show some form.
    I cannot disagree with what you have said about the above player, Tim. Yes, it is a fact that some players will leave and do well. Problem is that with the Alex this past few years, there have been quite a number (more than "some", I would suggest), that have done rather well and could have given the first team some extra ammunition and even gleaned some revenue for the club in sales. I would suggest that with some of these players, it was poor judgment on behalf of the football club, in allowing them to leave prematurely.

I cannot disagree with what you have said about the above player, Tim. Yes, it is a fact that some players will leave and do well. Problem is that with the Alex this past few years, there have been quite a number (more than "some", I would suggest), that have done rather well and could have given the first team some extra ammunition and even gleaned some revenue for the club in sales. I would suggest that with some of these players, it was poor judgment on behalf of the football club, in allowing them to leave prematurely.
    The only one I can really think of is Kelvin Mellor. The others who left were not necessarily bad players but were probably considered not worth another contract as there was better out there.