+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Stead:

John Stead:

Sounds like Duffy could be getting another as well

"He's up there with Richard Duffy and Adam Collin in terms of his performances all season."

Personally, if I was Jon Stead, I wouldn't be too thrilled about that comparison!

I must say though, if this was what we built into his contract, then we're very foolish. I think we've squeezed pretty much the last drops out of Jon this season, and they've been good enough at this level, but he doesn't represent the future of this club and his wages won't be small because of his name.

Add this to Nolan talking about signing Joey Barton, and we seem to be going back to the Dad's Army era (Birtles, Pike, Hart etc) that eventually got John Barnwell sacked back in the late 80's. There's no long-term progress to be made from just signing Nolan's old mates. If the Premier League players of 10-15 years ago are the answer, then why hasn't Kevin given himself a single game since arriving?

Have to say I think Stead has something to offer us for one more season but not sure he should be our primary striker option. If we can find a pacey striker, mid twenties with some league experience Stead could actually benefit them immensely in forming a 35+ goals partnership.

I do agree with Jackal though that we need to move away from the ‘Dads Army’ approach asap, it’s just not sustainable and we need to build for the future, regardless of what league we are in next season.

I hope not. Need to get rid and get some pace in the side

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Must concur with Durham, thanks Jon for all your efforts, but we should be looking elsewhere for something apart from the bloody hoof ball...

People realise Jon Stead is NOT the one doing ‘hoof ball’? Is he not the one that chases and battles for these balls. Personally, I feel Stead’s strengths are when the ball is at his feet.
    I do agree he could benefit from having someone with pace with him.
    Anyone wanting to get rid, please think about the possible replacements and the fact that they could be worse!

Fair play to him, he’s done alright at times this season, but he just doesn’t score enough goals. That’s in League 2, on the off chance we end up in League 1, keeping Stead is mental.

Shola is considering whether to retire but will be offered a coaching job if he does. Kin ell.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Have to agree with this.

We should only be “getting rid” of Stead if we can get a better replacement. Of our present strikers, Ameobi is contemplating retirement and it seems unlikely that Forte and Saunders will be offered new deals. Letting Stead go as well would leave us in the position of having to sign four new strikers in the summer. Is anyone seriously suggesting that we would sign four who are all better than Stead?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast