+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Stead:

It's not realistic to expect Stead has another season in him as a player, but his experience and knowledge are invaluable. We should offer him a role in coaching and or scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    It's not realistic to expect Stead has another season in him as a player, but his experience and knowledge are invaluable. We should offer him a role in coaching and or scouting.
    Stead, Shola, Smithy, Eddy, Crossley how many more old gits do we need on the bloody coaching staff...

He's scored 13 goals so far this season and got 8 assists. Aside from Jorge Grant that's twice as many as anyone else in the squad.

On that basis I'm happy to see him sign on for another year. We definitely need younger strikers too though.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    He's scored 13 goals so far this season and got 8 assists. Aside from Jorge Grant that's twice as many as anyone else in the squad.

On that basis I'm happy to see him sign on for another year. We definitely need younger strikers too though.
    What he say's. ^^^^^^^^^^

Stead and Ameobi as a forward combo for another season would not fill me with any confidence. Stead or Ameobi alongside a pacey younger striker* has the potential to be decent frontline.

*assuming this striker knows where the net is

In my opinion Stead would be good for a supporting role / covering for injuries and suspensions next season but shouldn't be the main man.

It looks like Ameobi won't be with us as a player next season so he'll need replacing. Stead and Forte haven't looked too good together, neither of them have the skill or tricks of Ameobi. Stead will be slowing down next year and all this season Forte has been second choice striker. Saunders (inexperienced) and Alessandra (attacking midfielder) are nowhere near good enough to be considered first team forwards, so it appears we will need another three strikers just to keep the numbers up, but more to allow for injuries or suspensions.

He can't run, he can't control the ball, He can't jump and he can't shoot.

He is good at tapping the ball in from 2 yards though so he must be good

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    In my opinion Stead would be good for a supporting role / covering for injuries and suspensions next season but shouldn't be the main man.
    I agree in that I think Stead himself will benefit from slightly less games and probably be more effective.
    People elude to him getting too old but the amount of games he has played this season, the running he does and constantly getting hammered in 1 on 1s for the long balls then I think most younger players would look jaded at times.

I think his goal scoring is irrelevant (sounds daft) as the tactic has always been for him to hold up and bring others in, in a another system I think he would still be capable of getting 15-20 goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    We should only be “getting rid” of Stead if we can get a better replacement. Of our present strikers, Ameobi is contemplating retirement and it seems unlikely that Forte and Saunders will be offered new deals. Letting Stead go as well would leave us in the position of having to sign four new strikers in the summer. Is anyone seriously suggesting that we would sign four who are all better than Stead?
    That's how I see it. Stead is worth one more year as it won't be easy to find 3 or 4 strikers better than him for next season despite some of the insults on here from some who seem to forget the level we are playing at. I also think people get far too hung up on his age. He is the sort of player who looks after himself and is well capable of offering 90 minutes. The reason he isn't so involved in the last 20 minutes of many games is more to do with us dropping 10 men back to defend a lead and leaving him isolated up front rather than fatigue.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast