+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The cricket pavillion

Thanks to all those who replied to this post and sent good wishes re the bench. I take delivery the week after next so I am looking forward to it especially in view of your replies. UTB

Quote Originally Posted by Darnall Siam Blade View Post
    Great photos of the old pavilion, FKB. I can see the area I stood in , centre ,top deck. Just saw the one match, in around 1951, when we beat Arsenal 1-0. We had just been promoted and Arsenal were the best side around,then. I remember going mad when Len Browning headed the winner in front of the Kop. Also, Silent, I have more memories of watching Yorkshire. I posted these on a similar thread , about the Pavilion, about 2 years ago. Shan't bore everybody repeating them other than the match where Yorkshire beat the Aussies , in the sixties, I think. Fred Trueman captained Yorkshire and said ,it was the proudest moment of his life. SBT was this the match you were thinking of when you mentioned the Ashes game? Much more important than that, of course, it being Yorkshire.
    Blimey DSB well done there. Yes it was. Fast forward to 1975 and the South Stand being built and remembering how glad I was from the football side,yet sad that something was being lost forever.

If this thread is still ongoing. Yes, SBT I had similar feelings- all those memories being built over. I reckon my New South Stand seat (Row O seat (92) was right where Fred would have been starting his run up. Still I suppose that is progress.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234