+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The cricket pavillion

Quote Originally Posted by boltonblade View Post
    Where are all the late 20's early 30's lads like me who haven't got a Scooby what you're on about? It's good to hear of the old times in all seriousness though. We will start a thread like this is 20 years time and remember when the john street stand was built and it started selling chips in fancy sheff utd cones. good times haha
    It says a lot about United’s fortunes over the decades that most of us older Blades tend to default back to the 60’s and the early 70’s of TC and Co when we reminisce.

Hopefully you’ll not have to look too far back B.B. and the next 50 years will be packed with good times good fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
    Great memories BB and each generation has their own.Watching Yorkshire at BDBL was the catalyst to my ongoing love of cricket. Supporting the Blades was just a given.

Now I'm intrigued as to why SJH put up the original post.
    Name:  IMG_4150.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  42.7 KB

Firstly, thank you for all your replies. the reason for asking is that someone has ordered a gift for me which is apparently one of the original benches from the cricket pavilion. I have tried to post a photo of this above and hope it has worked.

You can see the letters S and U in the ironwork at the side. It must be at least 45 years old and I can use it as garden bench. I shall enjoy sitting there and thinking of all the cricket and football games that people have seen from that bench so your replies above are especially important for me. I didn't realise the history was quite as important as it is from reading the above so thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
    Great memories BB and each generation has their own.Watching Yorkshire at BDBL was the catalyst to my ongoing love of cricket. Supporting the Blades was just a given.

Now I'm intrigued as to why SJH put up the original post.

Firstly, thank you for all your replies. the reason for asking is that someone has ordered a gift for me which is apparently one of the original benches from the cricket pavilion. I have tried to post a photo of this above and hope it has worked.

You can see the letters S and U in the ironwork at the side. It must be at least 45 years old and I can use it as garden bench. I shall enjoy sitting there and thinking of all the cricket and football games that people have seen from that bench so your replies above are especially important for me. I didn't realise the history was quite as important as it is from reading the above so thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by silentjourneyhome View Post

What a brilliant present Silent! Enjoy the summer and the memories mate.

One for the kids. c1968, Picture of the Pavillion from the old kop, where you stood up all game and sang. The old Kop also had the longest urinal in Europe, from one side to the other

Anyway, thats what we looked at. Football one side, cricket the other.

Name:  sheffield-united-bramall-lane-cricket-pavilion-1-bw-1960s-legendary-football-grounds.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  70.2 KB

Great to see the old scoreboard. Every eye went to it when the scorekeeper came on to change White A.

Here's another view or two.

Supposed first day of the England Australia test match about 1902. Could that possibly be Ronnie in his straw boater, front left?
    Name:  England Australia.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  23.7 KB

A well attended day in late 60's I think

Name:  BL cricket.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  42.4 KB

Thats it now, otherwise this thread is going to turn into Berts 'Old photo's...' on S2.
    Last edited by FatherKnowsBest; 13-04-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Great photos of the old pavilion, FKB. I can see the area I stood in , centre ,top deck. Just saw the one match, in around 1951, when we beat Arsenal 1-0. We had just been promoted and Arsenal were the best side around,then. I remember going mad when Len Browning headed the winner in front of the Kop. Also, Silent, I have more memories of watching Yorkshire. I posted these on a similar thread , about the Pavilion, about 2 years ago. Shan't bore everybody repeating them other than the match where Yorkshire beat the Aussies , in the sixties, I think. Fred Trueman captained Yorkshire and said ,it was the proudest moment of his life. SBT was this the match you were thinking of when you mentioned the Ashes game? Much more important than that, of course, it being Yorkshire.

Just remembered his name was Norman.
    Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    Can remember the old guy who's favourite saying was " Yeh barred".

Quote Originally Posted by Darnall Siam Blade View Post
    Great photos of the old pavilion, FKB. I can see the area I stood in , centre ,top deck. Just saw the one match, in around 1951, when we beat Arsenal 1-0. We had just been promoted and Arsenal were the best side around,then. I remember going mad when Len Browning headed the winner in front of the Kop. Also, Silent, I have more memories of watching Yorkshire. I posted these on a similar thread , about the Pavilion, about 2 years ago. Shan't bore everybody repeating them other than the match where Yorkshire beat the Aussies , in the sixties, I think. Fred Trueman captained Yorkshire and said ,it was the proudest moment of his life. SBT was this the match you were thinking of when you mentioned the Ashes game? Much more important than that, of course, it being Yorkshire.
    The Aussie game was in 1968 DSB, won by an innings and 69 runs! You're right, FS regarded it as one of his bets ever ricketing moments

It made me think about the Windies game I referred to ealier and that was in 1963 when I was 11 and got into the indoor nets with them.Memory playing tricks again.

SJH, that's a great present to have , enjoy every moment sitting on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast