+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After reading Rileyev's somewhat inflammatory post elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Zilzal View Post
    Mike, if you were at the Cardiff game then you'll remember that soon afterwards we beat Preston 6-3. Their star player was CF Alex Dawson a burly aggressor who was lucky enough to survive the Man Utd Munich plane disaster along with Bobby Charlton. I also remember Terry Paine being lauded for notching up 800 league games for the Saints but as you say he was a nasty player out on the RW who got the first kick in way ahead of any LB and just carried on from there. What a pity Saints were top of the Second Division at the time and we beat them 1-0.

Not too long after we had a terrific game against recently relegated Wolves, captained and inspired by Mike Bailey who was in the '66 squad at the time. We beat them 4-3 and in the end Ramsey preferred the cultured (sic) Stiles over the attack minded Bailey'

I also saw Bobby Moore twice in the League Cup. West Ham were a cultured passing side at the time and so I was delighted that we thought we'd try that as well. We came back from a goal down to win 2-1; the second game we lost.

CT I was a huge fan of Jimmy Montgomery but the keeper I thought we couldn't possibly score against was the legendary Pat Jennings of Arsenal. Frank Stapleton capitalised on a rare Gerry Forrest mistake to give Arsenal a 7th minute lead. BUT before H/T headers by Gwyther and Green put us 2-1 up. I thought Liam Brady and co. would make us suffer in the second half but happily no, Finney headed in a Crawford cross and we played them off the pitch for the next 45 minutes for a really proud 3-1 win.

My only foreign player of note was Kasimir Deyna who captained Poland to third place in the 1984 World Cup in Germany. He was part of a star studded Man City side (Channon, Barnes, Brian Kidd - 2 headers, 2 goals) as we went 0-3 down after only 15 minutes. After that Trev Phillips terrified their defence scoring 2 and having another disallowed. On the stroke of H/T Gwyther outjumped their keeper and headed home. The ref said, oh no, a player can't outjump a keeper, no goal. But when the keeper is Scottiy

sh it is perfectly feasible. Robbed again in favour of a Manchester team.

What's Rileyev doing at this moment? Still in bed? I can't really blame him.
    Zil when you post great things like this I admire you xx brin

I remember the 6-4 win v Cardiff.
    Pat Jennings was my all-time favourite goalkeeper.
    Watching the Millers in 66 at Old Trafford & the replay at a packed Millmoor.

Recently this one.......well not too long ago.

Michael Owen playing for England Youth ?? at Millmoor and getting sent off in that match, can't remember who they were playing.

EDIT : I think Michael was 17yrs old at the time.
    Last edited by Casper64Frank; 13-04-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12