+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After reading Rileyev's somewhat inflammatory post elsewhere

After reading Rileyev's somewhat inflammatory post elsewhere

I'm afraid my latest will be somewhat tepid, not to say, bordering on the frigid - but here goes anyway.

Who are just some of the famous names that you've seen grace the Millmoor turf.

Mine include a 49 year old Stanley Matthews (he made it to Division 1 the year after with Stoke City before retiring)
    John Charles CF and CB supreme (never booked or sent off in a very long career). The Gentle Giant scored against us for Cardiff but we triumphed somewhat comfortably 6-4.

And finally Best, Law and Charlton for Manchester United (who Nobby Stiles will avow cheated us out of a famous win courtesy of the referee and the blind dog who was running the left touchline that night).

Not virile or erotic enough after Riley's impromptu post? I do my honest best.

Zills, you have restored my faith in humanity. How anyone can again doubt your mental capacity after reading this post should be banned sine die, as we in the football fraternity would say. Furthermore, never let it be said again that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to football, or even that you have probably never attended a game. You have demonstrated to me unequivocally that you HAVE been to football matches and know a footballer when you see one. Alright, the gainsayers will point out that the matches you refer to took place more than 50 years ago, but once a Miller always a Miller, right? Also, the scorners will point out that the players you saw were not only past their best, but in the gloom, not the twilight of their careers. What matters this? Nothing I say, for to paraphrase the immortal bard,it is better to have seen Charles and Matthews with their zimmers than never to have seen them at all. All power to your elbow Zills.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilzal View Post
    I'm afraid my latest will be somewhat tepid, not to say, bordering on the frigid - but here goes anyway.

Mine include a 49 year old Stanley Matthews (he made it to Division 1 the year after with Stoke City before retiring)
    John Charles CF and CB supreme (never booked or sent off in a very long career). The Gentle Giant scored against us for Cardiff but we triumphed somewhat comfortably 6-4.

And finally Best, Law and Charlton for Manchester United (who Nobby Stiles will avow cheated us out of a famous win courtesy of the referee and the blind dog who was running the left touchline that night).

I remember seeing John Charles and Stanley Matthews from that era at Millmoor, Zil. Plus also Mel Nurse when we played Swansea and a young Jim Montgomery in goal for Sunderland. There were probably others but none come immediately to mind.

One thing you're not is frigid Zil, well not in the tree shaking sense.

Im unfortunately too young to remember the names you and CT mention, so I can only offer Kevin Kegan when he scored 4 goals for Newcastle at Millmoor he was a one man team.

Tom Finney played in the Danny Williams testimonial game in the mid-60s. He started the match, but only played about for 20 minutes, I think. Zippy put the match programme on a previous thread - try googling it. I believe that John and Mel Charles had also agreed to play, but couldn't make it in the end.

Also 1977 European Footballer of the Year Allan Simonsen, of Denmark, and Charlton Athletic late in his career ( in a league game).
    Last edited by mikemiller; 13-04-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Also - Tre Dellas, centre back stalwart of Greece's 2004 European Championship winning team... playing for Sheffield Utd reserves... as a winger!

Yes Zil, happy days indeed. I remember the Cardiff game and how great John Charles was. I was collecting autographs in those days and had an old annual with photos of John from his Juventus days. There were 5 photos of the big man and he signed all the lot. Left a big impression on me.

Other great players seen down at Millmoor were Gordon Banks (saved a penalty in a friendly with Leicester (at least I think it was him). Bobby Moore also played in a League Cup tie, but not sure whether Hurst or Peters played. I also remember Colin Bell playing for Bury against us but not sure whether he came to Millmoor.

Quote Originally Posted by sCORaFU View Post
    I remember the Cardiff game and how great John Charles was. I was collecting autographs in those days and had an old annual with photos of John from his Juventus days. There were 5 photos of the big man and he signed all the lot. Left a big impression on me.
    I was at the 6-4 game, but had forgotten that John Charles played in it. (I was only a lad at the time). At Millmoor, I definitely saw Terry Paine of Southampton and the 1966 England World Cup squad, although he didn't appear in the final. He was ahead of his time as a "dirty" winger/wide midfield player and would regularly clatter opposition full backs, in a reversal of the usual roles. Probably wouldn't last very long on the pitch under the current interpretation of the rules, as it wasn't unusual for him to get sent off, even back then.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 13-04-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Red Rum made his mark on and fertilized the Millmoor sward.

Mike, if you were at the Cardiff game then you'll remember that soon afterwards we beat Preston 6-3. Their star player was CF Alex Dawson a burly aggressor who was lucky enough to survive the Man Utd Munich plane disaster along with Bobby Charlton. I also remember Terry Paine being lauded for notching up 800 league games for the Saints but as you say he was a nasty player out on the RW who got the first kick in way ahead of any LB and just carried on from there. What a pity Saints were top of the Second Division at the time and we beat them 1-0.

Not too long after we had a terrific game against recently relegated Wolves, captained and inspired by Mike Bailey who was in the '66 squad at the time. We beat them 4-3 and in the end Ramsey preferred the cultured (sic) Stiles over the attack minded Bailey'

I also saw Bobby Moore twice in the League Cup. West Ham were a cultured passing side at the time and so I was delighted that we thought we'd try that as well. We came back from a goal down to win 2-1; the second game we lost.

CT I was a huge fan of Jimmy Montgomery but the keeper I thought we couldn't possibly score against was the legendary Pat Jennings of Arsenal. Frank Stapleton capitalised on a rare Gerry Forrest mistake to give Arsenal a 7th minute lead. BUT before H/T headers by Gwyther and Green put us 2-1 up. I thought Liam Brady and co. would make us suffer in the second half but happily no, Finney headed in a Crawford cross and we played them off the pitch for the next 45 minutes for a really proud 3-1 win.

My only foreign player of note was Kasimir Deyna who captained Poland to third place in the 1984 World Cup in Germany. He was part of a star studded Man City side (Channon, Barnes, Brian Kidd - 2 headers, 2 goals) as we went 0-3 down after only 15 minutes. After that Trev Phillips terrified their defence scoring 2 and having another disallowed. On the stroke of H/T Gwyther outjumped their keeper and headed home. The ref said, oh no, a player can't outjump a keeper, no goal. But when the keeper is Scottish it is perfectly feasible. Robbed again in favour of a Manchester team.

What's Rileyev doing at this moment? Still in bed? I can't really blame him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast