+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: USA and Allies strike Syria

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    I see Jeremy is now demanding incontrovertible proof that Russia was behind the Salisbury attacks. I guess that will apply here too.

I wonder what on earth that might be .... and where our justice system would be if this was adopted instead of proof beyond reasonable doubt.
    In civil cases the balance of probabilities', is used often referred to in judgments as "more likely than not".

He also wants a law requiring a Parliament to approve military action to hold governments to account. Apparently it won’t apply if the PM is kidnapped (is that wishful thinking) or war is launched on us.

Asked whether he would back military action if the OPCW found the Assad regime was responsible for the Douma chemical weapons attack, he said: “I would then say, confront Assad with that evidence; confront any other group that may be fingered because of that – and then say they must come in and destroy those weapons, as they did in 2013 and 2015.”

He wants the UN to back action when Russia uses its veto to stop action against Syria?

So the man is in a parallel universe and cannot give a straight answer when his friends elsewhere in the world are involved. Pity for those in Syria that are being wiped out by barrel bombs starvation and chemical weapons.
    In that case OC,Trump,May and Macron better start bombing installations in Saudi Arabia.Funny how MSM never show innocent men,women and children blown to bits in Yemen whilst attending funerals and weddings.Similarly,no reports from Mosul either a few months ago when the US were bombing civilians to bits in order to flush out ISIS-the organisation they funded.Never any sign of the conveniently placed humanitarian white helmets or anybody else with their video cameras.People should be more objective even when faced with harrowing videos of children.Open your eyes and follow the money trail.It is about a pipeline and nothing else and the establishment has been desperate to get rid of Assad in order to facilitate it.They are now showing just how desperate.They do not care about ordinary people except when those people can be used for propaganda purposes.The sooner we realise this the better.The only countries where we intervene are always ones that are not allied to us-Iraq,Libya,Syria,Ukraine the list is endless and they all have one common theme-natural resources.

Sinkov
    OC you talk about our justice system and the balance of probabilities in civil cases, Corbyn is talking about acts of war, surely you can see the difference?

No he wasn’t he was talking about Salisbury and him needing incontrovertible proof it was Russia.
    We didn’t drop any bombs - we sent targeted missiles to remove chemical weapons that are supposed to be banned worldwide. Of course Russia and Syria have other ideas.

We elect Parliament and let them get on with the job. If Jeremy was in power Russia would be in the country and he would still be wanting to chat as he wasn’t 100% sure they were Russians.

Re Families
    The 5 year old child I saw talking was in a basement and heard a helicopter and a bomb drop that hissed. You seem to be full of conspiracy theories. I prefer to listen to the child.

It's only April and I already have my designated quote of the year.

I am asked something along the lines of "if I'm having my tea and someone drops a bomb on me" Enter1959_60 "depending on the circumstances, perhaps you would be very angry?"

No, I'd be fcuking livid! I would immediately ring up my mate holed up in a safe house somewhere in Europe and tell him to let off an IED at a suitable location in London or Paris.

Do these fcuking idiots never learn?

Jeremy Corbyn is expressing a voice of reason, perhaps we should listen to him instead of firing missiles costing £750,000 each at tin huts in Syria?

Saturday’s coalition attack on Syria sent a message to President Bashar Assad – and others such as the Iranians, North Koreans and Hezbollah – that they cannot do “whatever they want,” former National Security Council head Yaakov Nagel said on Sunday. “Given his external and internal situation, I can’t explain why he did it,” Nagel said. “He had positive momentum; he had the Russians working with him; and there was a new axis of Turkey, Iran and Russia going forward in Syria. So why attack?”
    Nagel explained the move by saying Assad simply thinks “He can do whatever he wants, and thinks there is a possibility that the so-called omelet that is Syria today can become an egg again. He is mistaken, but he is not acting alone – he is doing it because there are some forces letting him think that he can do whatever he wants.”
    ....... that Assad cannot use chemical weapons is an important one from an Israeli perspective, because “Assad only understands when he gets messages,” and if he “won’t get the clear message that he cannot use chemical weapons, then maybe he will mistakenly think he can use them in other places.”
    France and Britain taking part in the US-led operation, Nagel said, was less important for operative reasons – since the US could have acted alone – and more important because it sent the message that the US was not acting alone and in isolation. He said he hoped this same coalition would remain together in the run up to May 12, the deadline US President Donald Trump has given France, Britain and Germany either to “fix” the Iranian nuclear deal or face a situation in which the US will walk away from it.
    Nagel speculated that the timing of Israel’s release on Friday, of information that the Iranian drone shot down in February after penetrating Israeli airspace was carrying explosives, was connected to the May 12 deadline. With the Iranians telling the world the ballistic missiles they are developing are only to defend themselves, “Everyone has to understand what Iran is, and what they are planning,” he said. “This is the first time in our area that they used drones under the camouflage of [conducting] surveillance,” Nagel said. “But they cannot hide what they are doing in our area, we know exactly what they are doing. And this is the reason we made this public – so no one will be surprised if Israel will continue to act.”

Israel, Nagel reiterated, will not tolerate a permanent Iranian military presence in Syria. He maintained the Russians understand it is in their interest that the Iranians don’t establish such a presence. However, he added, understanding that it is not in their interest and acting to prevent it from happening are two different things. Nevertheless, Nagel said he did not think the Russians would limit Israel’s freedom of action in Syrian skies as a result of Saturday’s attack. “We have a new neighbor in this playground [Syria] – Russia,” Nagel said. “We don’t want to clash with them, and they don’t want to clash with us. This is why we continue ongoing talks with them, to make sure there are no miscalculations.”

Nagel said Israel has found Putin “reliable,” meaning that Jerusalem can “count on what he says,” and vice versa.

“I don’t think there is another leader in the world who talks with Putin more than Netanyahu,” he said. “He means what he says to us when he talks to us. That is not to say that every time we agree, but we usually can count on what he said. We are aiming to make sure that he understands that our interests and his interests are the same – and that if he wants quiet in this area, he should make sure the Iranians are not there. Because if the Iranians will be there, it will not be a quiet area.” From the Jerusalem Post.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    It's only April and I already have my designated quote of the year.

I am asked something along the lines of "if I'm having my tea and someone drops a bomb on me" Enter1959_60 "depending on the circumstances, perhaps you would be very angry?"

No, I'd be fcuking livid! I would immediately ring up my mate holed up in a safe house somewhere in Europe and tell him to let off an IED at a suitable location in London or Paris.

Do these fcuking idiots never learn?

Jeremy Corbyn is expressing a voice of reason, perhaps we should listen to him instead of firing missiles costing £750,000 each at tin huts in Syria?
    BT, we are actually in agreement here!

Read what I actually said, I never mentioned dropping a bomb on you when you were having your tea.

I said that if the boot were on the other foot, and we lived in Syria, who then starting attacking England, then (depending on the circumstances - IE if it was warranted) we would feel narked.

We agree that Parliament should have the final say before we attack another country - EXCEPT in exceptional circumstances.

I'm still too fcuking livid to talk right now!

May wins a closing SNP vote by 314 to 36 as Labour leaves the Chamber.

Mrs May outlined the UN resolutions on Syria vetoed by the Kremlin in recent months.
    She warned Corbyn that relying solely on the UN Security Council was tantamount to agreeing not to act.

Mike Gapes, Labour, Illford South: 'Can I remind the PM and Mr Corbyn it was a Labour Government with Robin Cook as Foreign Secretary that carried out airstrikes in Iraq under Operation Desert Fox in 1998, without a UN resolution.
    'It was a Labour Government that restored President Kabbah in Sierra Leone without a UN resolution.
    'It was a Labour Government that stopped ethnic cleansing in Kosovo without a UN resolution.
    'There is a long standing and noble tradition on these benches supporting humanitarian intervention and the responsibility to protect.'

Chris Leslie, Labour, Nottingham East: 'Pinpointing and degrading Assad's chemical weapons was necessary and appropriate, and that intervening to save civilians from future gas attacks - while not without risk - was absolutely the right thing to do.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz5CuUYdaM1

Well that's OK then!

Lets bomb Riyadh to prevent the current ongoing genocide in Yemen with British bombs and military assets.

...and then it's obvious we support our Muslim brothers and sisters in Myanmar by bombing the ****e out of Naypyidaw. People are dying over there in their thousands.

We simply cannot allow one person in the United Kingdom to arbitrate on who we bomb the fcuk out of.

This was not bombing a country, but chemical weapons installations.
    We simply cannot risk delaying action on humanitarian grounds nor having to forewarn the tyrants of our plans, not can we share all intelligence with all MPs. Some would pass it on! Jeremy wouldn’t approve any action anyway, thank goodness some of his MS are patriots.
    Would MPs need to approve each possible action. Sorry but it’s impractical and risks troops lives.
    We need to leave tactics to the military

What happened here was the United Nations minus Russia who had blocked 6 resolutions then implementing action to protect people from illegal war acts.

Re your other proposed actions, have their been any chemical weapons used or UN resolutions requiring action that Russia has blocked, or any demands for action.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)