+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Team for next season

Quote Originally Posted by Stupie82 View Post
    Out of all of the signings that DM has made, how many have actually been a success? Now factor that into the fact he needs to replace half of the squad, if not more, then can anyone really trust him to do this efficiently and correctly?

Look, im not saying we haven’t had a decent spell under him, but we have had fortune on our side with a weakened league and the fact he inherited some decent players. Looking at his signings on face value, most have been utterly atrocious and he himself has recognised that. If he gets it wrong in the summer, we could be looking at an utter disaster of season next year.

I myself don’t want us to take that risk. I think we should be looking to replace him and yes, take the gamble with another manager and see if we can push on. Some of you see that as too risky, but I think sticking with DM, given his signing history, lack of big game mentality and lack of motivation for his players, is an even greater risk at the moment. We are regressing, quickly and I cannot see how he can turn this all around if im being honest. Anyone that thinks he can, I would love to hear their reasons for it.
    A good summation of it all.

The one MAJOR thing we're all forgetting, and makes this DM chat irrelevant;
    Milne loves DM, has complete faith in him, and is not even close to thinking about replacing him...and besides, we can't afford the pay off.

like it or lump it, we will have DM for next season.

We just need to hope (based on no evidence whatsoever) that he can re-build a team and squad and improve us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
    Why assume we will be further down the league
    We've been 2nd the last three years. Not likely to get first.
    Were currently going into the split level with 2nd on points, 3 ahead of Hibs.
    It is an assumption, but unless a new manager comes in and is as successful as DM then the only likelihood is down

Quote Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
    you don't even know where we will finish this time possibly 5th given the current form
    Agreed, nobody knows where we will be..

First off is Killie, whom we've beaten three times this year, with two draws. Ok, that's spin a little, if you take over the 90 mins its 2 wins with 3 draws. Its not insurmountable that we could win down there again.
    At the same time Celtic are away at Easter road, with SevCo hosting Hearts. Hearts having beaten SevCo as Ibrox earlier in the season and their fans agrieved they have to go there for the third time.
    Calrsberg weekend, we could potentially be 3 points ahead of SevCo and 6 ahead of Hibs.
    Worst case I'm hoping that we are at least 4 ahead of Hibs with SevCo dropping points as well.

Next round, we play Hearts at home, with the two cheeks playing each other. Potentially a title decider for Celtic if they fail to beat Hibs, but regardless, they will still want to beat the blue cheek.

These first two games could add a lot of pressure on SevCo, if we can pick up the points.
    It's possible we could be in a position to secure 2nd when SevCo come to Pittodrie and before we go away to Celtic.

Last game is away to Celtic and whilst it will likely be trophy presentation day, Celtic will potentially be resting players ahead of the cup final.
    There may be a chance we could pick up a result there, which may be the difference.

I know some of you will be negative and predict we lose most, if not all of our games and finish 4th.
    As good as Kilmarnock's form is, I doubt they will make up 7 more points (and goal difference) than is in the available 15 points.
    We'll all but secure top 4 at least by winning this weekend.

So lets see where we end up. I'd put money on the likelihood that the next manager does not have us as high as we have achieved under DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupie82 View Post
    Out of all of the signings that DM has made, how many have actually been a success? Now factor that into the fact he needs to replace half of the squad, if not more, then can anyone really trust him to do this efficiently and correctly?

Look, im not saying we haven’t had a decent spell under him, but we have had fortune on our side with a weakened league and the fact he inherited some decent players. Looking at his signings on face value, most have been utterly atrocious and he himself has recognised that. If he gets it wrong in the summer, we could be looking at an utter disaster of season next year.

I myself don’t want us to take that risk. I think we should be looking to replace him and yes, take the gamble with another manager and see if we can push on. Some of you see that as too risky, but I think sticking with DM, given his signing history, lack of big game mentality and lack of motivation for his players, is an even greater risk at the moment. We are regressing, quickly and I cannot see how he can turn this all around if im being honest. Anyone that thinks he can, I would love to hear their reasons for it.
    Good post. Agreed. ^^^this

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Let’s face it, the squads f*cked. If a new manager did come in he’d struggle. The mistake some will make is that they’ll think it’s bevause he’s not as good as McInnes, rather than acknowledging the mess he left behind.

It’s a major rebuild required based on youth development. McInnes isn’t up for it
    So you want change and then are getting in early to continue blaming the legacy left by McInnes as an excuse.
    You've made a good call with Jack Ross, I agree with you there.
    He surely had a similar issue when he took over St Mirren, so why do you think he could not do similarly at Aberdeen?

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    I'd put money on the likelihood that the next manager does not have us as high as we have achieved under DM.
    Well the next manager wouldn't just have motherwell to compete with for his first two seasons.

2nd place is fantastic stuff. Winning a cup is better. Much better.

Since the Parkhead cup final he has made a right **** of it.

89%

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    out of interest, who do you regard as the "realistic appointments that would spark any excitement"
    And having acknowledged that, wouldn't it be worth considering?
    I've said before, I'd be interested in Jack Ross or Graham Potter.
    Ross has done well at Alloa and St Mirren that shows he should get an opportunity at our level. It would still be a risk though.
    Many players and managers have shown well in lower leagues but failed when they have stepped up.

My no 1 preference would be to try and get Graham Potter.
    I was calling for him before his run in Europe.
    Some may say he has outgrown us, but he is still at Ostersunds and not been given an opportunity anywhere else yet.
    Aberdeen could be a good stepping stone to prove himself and get the opportunity down south.
    With Billy Reid as his assistant, he'd know the Scottish leagues well.
    What he has done with Ostersunds, taking their team from the 4th tier of Swedish football and qualifying out of the EL is phenominal.
    Growing their attendance 12 fold and winning the Swedish cup to boot is also positive reading.
    There's no guarantee he could replicate that at Aberdeen though

With all that said, I'm not convinced Milne would go for either.
    I think he would promote Paul Sheering from within with Robson as the assistant.
    That would possibly provide the greatest risk of the three

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Well the next manager wouldn't just have motherwell to compete with for his first two seasons.

2nd place is fantastic stuff. Winning a cup is better. Much better.

Since the Parkhead cup final he has made a right **** of it.

89%
    No surprise, I'd disagree with you there.
    This is Hearts third season back in the top flight (3rd, 5th and likely 6th). SevCo are back for the 2nd year and spent so much more than us.
    Hibs are doing well this year, as Hearts did their first year up, but have a major rebuilding situation themselves, losing their CM's and their strikers on loan.

Since the League Cup final, DM has improved our league results, getting a record points total, (even with SevCo and Hearts in the league).

We had a rebuilding job this year and most of us thought that the recruitment was pretty good in the circumstances.
    Unfortunately the players have not played as well as expected / hoped for.
    Its true we have an even bigger task this year and will be very difficult to replace with the quality that's leaving, regardless who the manager is.

As for the 89%, what is that stat for?
    Is it a selective period or all results?
    For reflection, how does it fare against all of Aberdeen's previous managers

I've said before, I'd be interested in Jack Ross or Graham Potter.
    Ross has done well at Alloa and St Mirren that shows he should get an opportunity at our level. It would still be a risk though.
    Many players and managers have shown well in lower leagues but failed when they have stepped up.

My no 1 preference would be to try and get Graham Potter.
    I was calling for him before his run in Europe.
    Some may say he has outgrown us, but he is still at Ostersunds and not been given an opportunity anywhere else yet.
    Aberdeen could be a good stepping stone to prove himself and get the opportunity down south.
    With Billy Reid as his assistant, he'd know the Scottish leagues well.
    What he has done with Ostersunds, taking their team from the 4th tier of Swedish football and qualifying out of the EL is phenominal.
    Growing their attendance 12 fold and winning the Swedish cup to boot is also positive reading.
    There's no guarantee he could replicate that at Aberdeen though

With all that said, I'm not convinced Milne would go for either.
    I think he would promote Paul Sheering from within with Robson as the assistant.
    That would possibly provide the greatest risk of the three
    Ross is a fairly obvious one I suppose.
    As for Potter, I don't think he'd see us as a step up and I think he'll be eyeing up a move to the English Championship.
    a Birmingham or the likes.

IF McInnes leaves, which I doubt (he won't be sacked and no-one will want him) then it would worry me as to who Milne would appoint, given his track record.

My guess would be Derek Adams would be his first pick (hear me out, as he wouldn't be my pick)
    - Dons fan and Dons background
    - Experience of the Scottish game, with relative success
    - Doing a good job at Plymouth - got them promoted last year and in the play off spot in the league above.

That said, I think Adams would want to stick it out as he's forging a career in the bigger and more lucrative English league.
    It won't go unnoticed that he's doing pretty well, and like Potter, maybe Adams is eyeing up a move to an English Championship team?

We had a rebuilding job this year and most of us thought that the recruitment was pretty good in the circumstances.
    The problem is that the management see them all the week & should have soon discovered they were not what was hoped for.
    But apparently It's taken till the end of the season for Mcinnes to waken up to this.
    yet , he's been messing around with rotations for the whole of that time, using insane formations with players out of position, that even the fans could predict was a mistake.

No surprise, I'd disagree with you there.
    This is Hearts third season back in the top flight (3rd, 5th and likely 6th). SevCo are back for the 2nd year and spent so much more than us.
    Hibs are doing well this year, as Hearts did their first year up, but have a major rebuilding situation themselves, losing their CM's and their strikers on loan.

Since the League Cup final, DM has improved our league results, getting a record points total, (even with SevCo and Hearts in the league).

Its true we have an even bigger task this year and will be very difficult to replace with the quality that's leaving, regardless who the manager is.

As for the 89%, what is that stat for?
    Is it a selective period or all results?
    For reflection, how does it fare against all of Aberdeen's previous managers
    He made it up in the pub on Saturday.

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast