+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Team for next season

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    Pardon me for askin ... but ... is Tansey still wi' us? ... Jist askin, cos he wis shyte ... but carryin an injury. Ah gather he's had another op ... is he finished? .. or (if he's still a red) .. is there a chunce, wi plenty recovery time, and a pre season, he might be the player we thought we paid for?
    I had completely forgotten that he was our player to be honest! Looked a good signing on paper and it was actually a key part of our summer recruitment - his failure to establish himself is largely the reason for playing O'Connor in midfield. Unfortunately it sounds like he's the kind of personality that prefers to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Last year we were facing the loss of Jack, McGinn and then Hayes when Celtic signed him. I would say that those three are harder to replace than any of the players who will be leaving this season with the exception of McLean and perhaps Christie (but he isn't our player anyway). If McInnes wants to keep Stewart then I don't imagine it would be too difficult to deal with Birmingham. If we don't sign him permanently it means that McInnes thinks he is replaceable which invalidates the 'we can't replace those leaving with similar quality' argument.

McLean and Christie are essentially the only two players we would definitely want to keep. If any of the others are irreplaceable we could surely just offer them new contracts?
    Some valid points, agree with a lot of what you say, but the fact remains the overhaul in the squad that’s required is far too much.
    You shouldn’t be losing 10 players (maybe more) at once.
    That’s bad planning & down to short-term thinking last summer.
    6 on loan? Far too many.
    And my point about not trusting McInnes & his head of recruitment Russ Richardson stands.
    Pigeon holed into League 1 & 2 in England.
    I hope to be proved wrong in a few months.
    Certainly should be interesting come June.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    Some valid points, agree with a lot of what you say, but the fact remains the overhaul in the squad that’s required is far too much.
    You shouldn’t be losing 10 players (maybe more) at once.
    That’s bad planning & down to short-term thinking last summer.
    6 on loan? Far too many.
    And my point about not trusting McInnes & his head of recruitment Russ Richardson stands.
    Pigeon holed into League 1 & 2 in England.
    I hope to be proved wrong in a few months.
    Certainly should be interesting come June.
    We have to trust DM until someone comes in for him , Milne will not get rid as he has been the best manager we have had since he became chairman.

We need to try & get as many as possible of the new players in before the 1st European Game, provided we qualify for Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    6 on loan? Far too many.
    Although statistically true, I'm only going to count 4 and don;t think its as bad as you make out
    McLean is a loanee because Norwich wanted to secure before the summer.
    We knew Kenny was away in the summer and this loan just ensure that was maintained.

Woodman was an emergency signing as the management team obviously did not have enough confidence in Rogers, who was not offered a new contract.
    We'll only be replaceing one keeper in the summer

Christie, Chidi, Stewart and Ball

Signing the likes of Ball may have been a way of filling the gap until Devlin came on board.
    We targetted Devlin before he was injured and he was out of contract this summer.

Everyone thought Christie was a god signing to help cope with the loss of Hayes and McGinn.

Chidi came in as back up when we loaned out Tansay

Look at the other top 6 teams.
    They have plenty on loan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Everyone thought Christie was a god signing to help cope with the loss of Hayes and McGinn..
    You are well off the mark there that signing was slated by many

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    The fact it was a Celtic loan may have been understandably slated. But I don't recall too many grumbling about having Christie in the squad when he joined in the summer - in the first few months of the season he was regularly our best player. He has faded badly though and I am struggling to remember the last time he played well.

Quote Originally Posted by GGMDONS View Post
    We have to trust DM until someone comes in for him , Milne will not get rid as he has been the best manager we have had since he became chairman.

We need to try & get as many as possible of the new players in before the 1st European Game, provided we qualify for Europe.
    For us to get in Europe, we’ll be relying on the Dhims winning the cup.
    We’ll be 4th at best this season.

The loan system is what it is. It's a by product of the current economic condition of the game, whereby richer clubs can not only monopolise the cream of the talent but also take a punt on extra players that are not yet, or never will be, good enough to play for their first team.

Like most Aberdeen fans I hate that the game has come to this, but whining about it comes into the "old man yells at cloud" category. You have to operate in the world as it is, not as you'd like it to be.

By utilising the loan system you can bring better players to the club than you could otherwise. Sometimes loan signings work well and you can sign the player at the end of their existing contract.

There are many unsatisfactory elements: their first loyalty is to another club, they are short term, if playing for you enhances their value you don't get the benefit, they can't play in certain games etc, etc. Yet all our rivals have loan players. The overwhelming professional consensus is that the pros considerably outweigh the cons and the net effect is to strengthen the team.

If the loan system offers us an opportunity to strengthen our team and our rivals are doing it then we would be daft to stop doing it. And we won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    A minority of the support, only because he was from Celtic and not because of his ability.
    Most recognised this was a good move while we transitioned to a team without Hayes and McGinn.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    A minority of the support, only because he was from Celtic and not because of his ability.
    Most recognised this was a good move while we transitioned to a team without Hayes and McGinn.
    His abililty didnt matter and who his parent club is either, it was a terrible bit of business and shouldnt have happened. Plenty said that, plenty stick by it.

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast