+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Abandoned Dumfries Shop

Abandoned Dumfries Shop

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry . A blooming great tree growing out of the window Name:  20180414_145838-1.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  94.0 KB

On the bright side the buddleia will attract plenty butterflies.

There are a lot of properties abandoned doon the Vennel tae. The Landlords should be asamed of themselves.

[This place is an absolute disgrace and has been for years. It always worries me that the broken windows above
    the shop will fall on somebody. There was a story a couple of years ago that a sparrowhawk got trapped in the
    derelict building after chasing a feral pigeon - how the council cannot do something about this slum is beyond
    me !

Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv View Post
    On the bright side the buddleia will attract plenty butterflies.
    Yes Louis, one of the advantages Dumfries has over other provincial towns is that it is an organic and true natural one, encouraging of all sorts of vegetation . By the way , I might seriously disturb those of you who live out of town by posting photos of the inside of the building from English Street side.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 14-04-2018 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Didn't know whether to laugh or cry . A blooming great tree growing out of the window Name:  20180414_145838-1.jpg

Since the council has absolutely no money for cleaning up our once proud town can the People’s Project help Jardi ? Starting with this tree

I walked about the town in dismay with my two girls on Friday. I tried to explain that this Dumfries they are growing up in is not the Dumfries I grew up in the 70/80's. A big part of the problem is online shopping but this isn't going away now and even Glasgow is losing shops because of this trend. My opinion is that the rot set in when the council let Tesco build three stores in quick succession just out of town . The delicate balance was cracked forever then. Of course the weaker our shopping options are the more of our locals go to Carlisle for the day . The Cumbrian town has made many a pretty penny from this side of the border and will continue to do so as long as eyesore's like the photo I put up remain.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 15-04-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    My immediate reaction is :

A. Has the community councillor been contacted
    B. Has the town councillor been contacted
    C. Has the MSP been contacted
    D. Has the MP been contacted

We pay these people money to sort problems like this out. I suspect there is nothing those officials can do to address derelect vacant properties in the town.
    Last edited by QOS_MAD_ADMIN; 15-04-2018 at 09:07 AM.

On the brighter side another eyesore the Lyver pub in St. Michael Street has been completely gutted and re - opened as The
    Lantern and very nice it is too !

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)