+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wigan Athletic Post Match Thoughts

Agree that Ihiekwe had a stormer. Won everything, athletic and played the sweeper roll too when they tried some long balls forward
    But my MoM was Purrington. A great performance against the most dangerous attacking RB in the division Nathan Byrne. Think of Jack Hunt and James Tavernier rolled into one. Byrne was limited to wayward hopeful crosses after a while and gave up trying to get the better of Purrington and concentrated on his defending

We did lack an output going forward on the left though with both Mattock and Newelly out but the defending was first class

All the usuall suspects had great games as did the whole team
    Rodak caught everything and i can't remember a single punch. Had very little to do
    Wood was Woody
    Palmer good game too. Don't understand the fans who don't rate him
    Towell's performance was as it always is
    Smith got the most manhandling I've seen this season and was thrown to the floor at least 3 times. He gave Wigan some real problems
    He should have scored with the header in the first five mins
    Wigan went into their shell and i think it may have been due to that blistering opening 7 mins when we should have been 3 up.
    They couldn't live with us and they know it

We should have had a certain penalty in second half for handball. Ref and Lino missed it as they did many things.
    Great credit to PW for trying the 4-5-1 again and it worked to perfection this time. I don't think he could have done anything else vs Wigan otherwise we would have been passed to death
    Who knows what the outcome would have been with 4-4-2 but PW said he wanted a point at Wigan and he got it easily
    Well done all round

On Radio DeeDah Warney said that it was supposed to be 4-1-4-1 yesterday, but it doesn't make much difference, other than Vaulks doesn't go forward as much as usual

Did any else see Neil Lennon walking towards the away end after the match.
    I don't think Hibs had a game so probably on a scouting mission.
    A long way to come to realise Joe Newell was injured

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    That was a very, very good point.

Note how our defending improves when Newell and Forde don’t start.
    Agree with Forde but Newell has been our best player as of late harsh on him

I can understand why everyone thinks Smith had a good performance, he created lots of chances, his work rate is immense etc. but a striker has to put away his chances. I don't think its acceptable for a striker to miss some of the sitters that he has, yet I haven't seen anyone pick up on this (correct me if im wrong) ?

I thought the entire defense was excellent on Sat. Still a bit iffy about Williams, he seems to have gone downhill since he arrived. I must admit I was concerned when I saw the team selection but it paid off for PW so well done, probably the best away result of the season. Towell/Emmanuel/Purrington + Icky stand out players for me. The only thing I thought it was missing that we could've edged it with was Newell, especially with his recent form

Smith - does work hard, reminds me a bit of Revell.

He does seem to miss some sitters,but the good thing is he is getting in the right place.

5 in 16 appearances not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Donmiller View Post
    Agree with Forde but Newell has been our best player as of late harsh on him
    Newell has been our best player going forward but defensively he's not so great. That puts more pressure on the full back.

Ditto Forde

Quote Originally Posted by Donmiller View Post
    I can understand why everyone thinks Smith had a good performance, he created lots of chances, his work rate is immense etc. but a striker has to put away his chances. I don't think its acceptable for a striker to miss some of the sitters that he has, yet I haven't seen anyone pick up on this (correct me if im wrong) ?

I thought the entire defense was excellent on Sat. Still a bit iffy about Williams, he seems to have gone downhill since he arrived. I must admit I was concerned when I saw the team selection but it paid off for PW so well done, probably the best away result of the season. Towell/Emmanuel/Purrington + Icky stand out players for me. The only thing I thought it was missing that we could've edged it with was Newell, especially with his recent form
    I think Smith has gone slightly backwards tbh, yes he’s a worker but we need him to be putting the ball in the net.

I’m thinking that maybe Warney is using him too much in the game, from what I’m seeing he isn’t gifted with pace and we are using him in defence too much imo.

Last home game he was defending more and looked knackered towards the end (he didn’t even try to get up front at one point when we were on attack)

For me Smith is a striker that needs to stay up front and only defend if absolutely needed.

Maybe when Proctor is back Warney could use Smith as a defender

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Did any else see Neil Lennon walking towards the away end after the match.
    I don't think Hibs had a game so probably on a scouting mission.
    A long way to come to realise Joe Newell was injured
    More likely to be watching Vaulks methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post

For me Smith is a striker that needs to stay up front and only defend if absolutely needed.

Maybe when Proctor is back Warney could use Smith as a defender
    Sorry, don't agree Topsy.

Part of his role as a tall striker is marking someone at corners etc.

I'd leave Taylor or Williams as the outlet.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast