Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Last time I went to Birmingham.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    33,625

    Last time I went to Birmingham.

    Wagged skosh that Tuesday afternoon. Never told my Mum and Dad. Got the football special train to New Street and walked up to St Andrews in a crazy big Blades convoy escorted by West Midlands finest. Got inside and stood on the terrace with 8 plus k other Blades. Loads of violence and at one point got stuck with my neck trapped against the crossbar of a barrier.
    0-0 final score with TC missing a good chance to score.
    The return walk to the Bullring was mental as Brum fans picked off Blades on loads of street corners. Got back to New Street to see loads of Brum fans surrounding the down escalator to the platform the footy special departed from. The option was go for it or stay in Birmingham. I walked toward the escalator then ran like mad and got through a barrage of kicks and punches. Fell down the escalator and stumbled onto the train just as the doors were closing. Collapsed into a seat on a table for 4 and was given a can of Skol by a complete stranger and made to feel safe.
    14 years old.
    Lets get the result we need this time. Not the 0-0 that got us nowhere all those years ago.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    17,013
    Not matter now pal it's only 3pts but we're relying on too many teams doin a blades,yes I know they all play each other but seriously I stand as much chance of winning the big one as we do of pinching a play off spot,and while it's mathematically possible and even when it isn't I'll expect the team to give everything and then some but realistically the dream ended last week imo

    Nice story tho,different times,it reminded me of them today actually watching millwall arrive and depart,so many people stuck in a time warp,got to say football is better without the associated violence

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,507
    Was at that game too across from their Big End. It was non stop violence and pretty hairy. Think it's the worse I've seen. Getting back to New Street wasn't much fun either.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Went in a car with four mates from work. I'd be about 22 I guess. We got in a pub near to the ground, stood with our backs to the windows, thank God for next minute the lot went through. Probably pretty extreme but not unusual for back then.
    Game was a non event but for Curries chance. Incredible following of Blades though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15,422
    I hate the place, St Andrews that is, not Birmingham as a whole although itís not on my holiday list. I donít think Iíve ever enjoyed a game there and the atomoshere was always pretty crap, about 18 years since I last went.

    Iíll be breathing North Yorkshireís finest air next Satdi (at last) and getting the score updates by by phone. Good luck to all who travel and to our lads.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15,422
    Quote Originally Posted by bladesince64 View Post
    Went in a car with four mates from work. I'd be about 22 I guess. We got in a pub near to the ground, stood with our backs to the windows, thank God for next minute the lot went through. Probably pretty extreme but not unusual for back then.
    Game was a non event but for Curries chance. Incredible following of Blades though.
    Yep I’ve experienced a bricking there. If they showed as much passion in the ground as they did for scrapping it’d be a better place to visit.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    24,811
    My memory is of being on that side terrace,loads of argy bargy,after the game this big Pie Muncher asked me where I was from,now being a keen watcher of Crossroads I thought no problem with the accent,next thing I am doing my best David Bedford impression all the way back to New Street

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    17,013
    Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    My memory is of being on that side terrace,loads of argy bargy,after the game this big Pie Muncher asked me where I was from,now being a keen watcher of Crossroads I thought no problem with the accent,next thing I am doing my best David Bedford impression all the way back to New Street

    Surprised he dint believe you old pal your impersonation of benny is spot on it's almost as if it's natural although I do wish you would drop it occasionally

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29,437
    Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    Surprised he dint believe you old pal your impersonation of benny is spot on it's almost as if it's natural although I do wish you would drop it occasionally
    Blockmod meks Benny look like a Mastermind champ, Bully? Can somebody explain to Ronaldo he's too busy watchin drugged up Cyclists to watch good TV like the soaps. I can't say i'm suprised Blockmod was runnin away tho the wimp. It was a poor game as i recall,oh well at least we tried. UTCB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Where you goin To Gray Whitby/Scarbs? One of my favourite places to visit. Or North York Moors as in National Park?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15,422
    Quote Originally Posted by bladesince64 View Post
    Where you goin To Gray Whitby/Scarbs? One of my favourite places to visit. Or North York Moors as in National Park?
    Staying at a little village called Ebberston between Scarborough and Pickering B64 right on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors NP. Weíll take all the resorts in but our favourite is Whitby, love the place. Probably do the walk from Ravenscar to Robin Hoodís Bay one of the days.

    If the weather holds up weíll have a few treks out on the moors as well but weíre definitely going to take the park and ride and have a day in York, havenít been for years. Iím hearing great things about the railway museum since itís been revamped and we are due a trip around the Castle Museum. Hopfully itíll take my mind of Sheffieldís Finest next Satdi.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by seanbeanstattoo View Post
    Wagged skosh that Tuesday afternoon. Never told my Mum and Dad. Got the football special train to New Street and walked up to St Andrews in a crazy big Blades convoy escorted by West Midlands finest. Got inside and stood on the terrace with 8 plus k other Blades. Loads of violence and at one point got stuck with my neck trapped against the crossbar of a barrier.
    0-0 final score with TC missing a good chance to score.
    The return walk to the Bullring was mental as Brum fans picked off Blades on loads of street corners. Got back to New Street to see loads of Brum fans surrounding the down escalator to the platform the footy special departed from. The option was go for it or stay in Birmingham. I walked toward the escalator then ran like mad and got through a barrage of kicks and punches. Fell down the escalator and stumbled onto the train just as the doors were closing. Collapsed into a seat on a table for 4 and was given a can of Skol by a complete stranger and made to feel safe.
    14 years old.
    Lets get the result we need this time. Not the 0-0 that got us nowhere all those years ago.
    I sometimes wonder what might have happened if we had won that one and qualified for Europe. I seem to recall that our school officially gave time off for those who wanted to go. Happy Days!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Love that walk from RHB to Ravenscar , done it about 3/4 times both in rain and extreme heat as well. Walk along cliff top and back along beach or vice versa depending on tides. Love Whitby and Scarborough too. Been many times over the years when my two lads were young blades and now we have young grandchildren blades. I would love to do the York railway museum. My youngest son and his partner both work for EMT.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,591
    Railway Museum is excellent and a bonus is that, on the station itself, is the Brewery Tap with a decent selection of real ales

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15,422
    Quote Originally Posted by bladesince64 View Post
    Love that walk from RHB to Ravenscar , done it about 3/4 times both in rain and extreme heat as well. Walk along cliff top and back along beach or vice versa depending on tides. Love Whitby and Scarborough too. Been many times over the years when my two lads were young blades and now we have young grandchildren blades. I would love to do the York railway museum. My youngest son and his partner both work for EMT.
    The railway museum is totally free now which adds to the appeal. Filey’s worth a visit as well, we hadn’t been since the 90’s up to a couple of years ago and it’s really clean and a quieter alternative to the big 2.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15,422
    Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
    Railway Museum is excellent and a bonus is that, on the station itself, is the Brewery Tap with a decent selection of real ales
    Yep I was only told that yesterday. I’ll be quenching my thirst with a quick un there then TT.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    33,625
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Yep I was only told that yesterday. Iíll be quenching my thirst with a quick un there then TT.
    Just get a half mate. Jeez it's pricey in there.
    Get to The Kings Head on the river down the steps by the bridge. Sam Smiths managed house. Fantastic flood related interior and under £2 a pint.
    The Railway Museum is wonderful. Don't not get on the Japanese bullet train.

    Castle Museum a fantastic few hours as well. Last time I went caught York City v FC United of Manchester. Great WMC accross the road and a proper football experience.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15,422
    Quote Originally Posted by seanbeanstattoo View Post
    Just get a half mate. Jeez it's pricey in there.
    Get to The Kings Head on the river down the steps by the bridge. Sam Smiths managed house. Fantastic flood related interior and under £2 a pint.
    The Railway Museum is wonderful. Don't not get on the Japanese bullet train.

    Castle Museum a fantastic few hours as well. Last time I went caught York City v FC United of Manchester. Great WMC accross the road and a proper football experience.
    Glass in in each it is then, itíll be good to visit the Kingís head again. I had a job there for a couple of days in the 70ís wiring up the new music system and most of the time I was down in the cellar. He wanted a hideaway unit. Pubs shut for a break at 3pm then and the landlord after heíd told me about all the pubís ghosts went out for an hour and locked me in. Absolutely crapping myself, so many noises probably because of itís location but it just sounded like footsteps and people talking upstairs even when the pup was empty.

    Happy daze

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    33,625
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Glass in in each it is then, itíll be good to visit the Kingís head again. I had a job there for a couple of days in the 70ís wiring up the new music system and most of the time I was down in the cellar. He wanted a hideaway unit. Pubs shut for a break at 3pm then and the landlord after heíd told me about all the pubís ghosts went out for an hour and locked me in. Absolutely crapping myself, so many noises probably because of itís location but it just sounded like footsteps and people talking upstairs even when the pup was empty.

    Happy daze
    LOL As I'm sure you know they run one of Yorks ghost tours from there. As Im also sure you know the beer cellar isnt below the pub but built into the wall to its right and accessed by ladder so when the pub floods the product isn't lost. Reight ballache changing barrels!!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •