+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Next season squad.

  1. #1

    Next season squad.

    This is how I see things as we move into the new season.......assumptions...... To be released of senior players.....Backagogo Udoh and Dagnall.....Also leaving ..Ainley and Jones , both.declining new contracts ,but Kirk resigns acknowledging a move for him is premature. All our current loan players return whence they came...although Green and Miller could be useful acquisitions if they were interested in a 1 year deal. This would leave us with a first team squad looking like this...Garrett and Richards in goal . Defence of Ng ,Ray, Raynes and Nolan. Midfield....Kirk , Windle, Lowery , Pickering , Walker.....strikers Bowdery ,Porter and Reilly. Hopefully Finney and Dale and ? Others would make an impact as the season progressed . With this group I think we could at worst be a reasonably competitive bottom half side. However ,if we have ambitions and the finances to do better then this would be my shopping list......1-.A specialist left back ,given Zoums injury record plus the attraction to play Pickering in a more advanced role. 2-...a ball winning aggressive midfielder.....Les Green could fit the bill here if it were possible to broker a deal. 3-..A wide player with some real pace.....we may have an in house solution in Owen Dale ,if he develops quickly enough and 4-.. A proven goal scorer ,again Miller could be as good as we can get ,assuming we could do a deal. Look forward to some responses and other viewpoints on how next season could pan out.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by objective View Post
    This is how I see things as we move into the new season.......assumptions...... To be released of senior players.....Backagogo Udoh and Dagnall.....Also leaving ..Ainley and Jones , both.declining new contracts ,but Kirk resigns acknowledging a move for him is premature. All our current loan players return whence they came...although Green and Miller could be useful acquisitions if they were interested in a 1 year deal. This would leave us with a first team squad looking like this...Garrett and Richards in goal . Defence of Ng ,Ray, Raynes and Nolan. Midfield....Kirk , Windle, Lowery , Pickering , Walker.....strikers Bowdery ,Porter and Reilly. Hopefully Finney and Dale and ? Others would make an impact as the season progressed . With this group I think we could at worst be a reasonably competitive bottom half side. However ,if we have ambitions and the finances to do better then this would be my shopping list......1-.A specialist left back ,given Zoums injury record plus the attraction to play Pickering in a more advanced role. 2-...a ball winning aggressive midfielder.....Les Green could fit the bill here if it were possible to broker a deal. 3-..A wide player with some real pace.....we may have an in house solution in Owen Dale ,if he develops quickly enough and 4-.. A proven goal scorer ,again Miller could be as good as we can get ,assuming we could do a deal. Look forward to some responses and other viewpoints on how next season could pan out.
    And a specialist right back to allow Ng into midfield.

  3. #3
    Couple of thoughts. Green or his equivalent is the most important signing to help the younger players. Miller is not and never has been a prolific goalscorer. He would be a good squad signing but I think that Artell will believe he can do better. I agree that daggers will go, to Bury as a coach, zooms will get a free and Finney will be written off as a problem case. Ainley and Jonan will move on although Ainley is not ready yet. Important transfer window yet again.

  4. #4
    We need an experienced player in midfield. Green would be good, but there will be others available. Miller was only vaguely prolific alongside Donaldson. Zooms and Dagnall to leave with Udoh, who does not seem to have progressed following his initial League One baptism. I fear Jones will want to move up a division or two. Ainley and Finney are the only others I could see going. Fully agree with comments about needing a LB and a genuine winger. A ball winning midfielder is also important.

  5. #5
    I agree it is unlikely that Ainley and Jones will be here next season and there will be a question mark over Dagnall, as for Miller I think he will get offered a contract, whether it will be good enough is debateable, but he does live locally and that is always worth something. Bakayogo will no boubt be released and we will start that familiar merry go round of finding another left back. I know Pickering could fulfil that role but would prefer to see him in midfield. As for Greene it is dependant on what he wants and at his age he will no doubt be looking for the best deal he can get, that may not be at Crewe. We do need an experienced midfield player if Jones leaves as is highly likely, so Greene would be an option but might be a too expensive option. Other than Miller a left back and experienced midfield player I don't see too many other requirements, it does depend on Kirk and Ainley get them to sign and we are almost good to go..

  6. #6
    Seems about right, Mr Stopper. I’d like to see a full back (left, right or both) to enable Perry or Harry to play in the middle, but wouldn’t be overly concerned if we don’t. First priority will be to try and get Green to stay; he’s making the right noises and I guess it comes down to terms and dosh. And how many other clubs will be attracted to a 35year old!!

    I believe that Dagnall is out of contract, in which case I think it should be thank you and goodbye. He was only prolific for a shortish streak and Miller, younger and a bit bigger but no less pacy, would be a better option I think. Having said that, one more striker to supplement Bowery, ?Miller and Reilly would help - sorry, I don’t think Porter suits the way we’ve been playing since Christmas.

    The other great unknown for most fans, me included, is what do the 17 and 18 year olds look like. If, like Pickering and Lowery, they can step up and look like first team squad members then we don’t want to put barriers to their progress. In which case 6 month loan deals represent a better option than a 2 year deal. After all, are Raynes and Porter looking anything other than back up players now? And we have them for another year.

  7. #7
    I still think Porter has something to offer, I don't see him playing as back up next season I think he will be playing regular first team football, he hasn't figured much since Christmas mainly because of injury and it is difficult to replace Miller, McKirdy or in particular Bowery at the moment but his time will come again next season. With the likelihood of Dagnall moving on then his place in the team is almost assured, Miller may have a say in that (if he's here) and Bowery will have to start where he left off this season to retain his place. It all leads to competition to be in the starting line-up come the new season and unlike last season we don't necessarily need too many players to join the team we still have Walker to come and he will make an impact we bought him as a promising youngster and I'm sure he will fulfil that promise. Even with Jones and Ainley leaving we still have depth in midfield, especially with Greene making the right noises.

  8. #8
    Would you play Kirk, Ainley and Jones at all in what is left of the season?
    They have not signed contracts so might not be here next season so we need to see what other players can do in readiness for next time. I wouldn't even have them on the bench.
    Give some of the younger players a chance.

  9. #9
    The noises are that Kirk will sign. Jones defo not so I wouldn't play him. We've paid him all season while he recovers from injury and then he will cut and run. Thanks Jonah. Ainley not sure. He and the manager are still talking and I've got a feeling that something may happen.
    I wouldn't mind yesterday's starting line up still being together in August though.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    The noises are that Kirk will sign. Jones defo not so I wouldn't play him. We've paid him all season while he recovers from injury and then he will cut and run. Thanks Jonah. Ainley not sure. He and the manager are still talking and I've got a feeling that something may happen.
    I wouldn't mind yesterday's starting line up still being together in August though.
    I agree with all that and a woman on P&G yesterday thinks the Board need to make a stand with these players that refuse to sign extensions and not play them and OK that can be seen as counterproductive as not playing them could affect them being signed by someone else and we lose the tribunal fee but that is the risk the board has to take to show all the other academy graduates and everyone really that loyalty cuts both ways and the million pound cost of the academy has to be got from somewhere to give others the same chance as they had and have.

    The point is if they are good enough then someone will come in and sign them and the club won't stand in their way unless its the transfer fee is ridiculously low...

    Reading between the lines which I'm not that good at, suggests that some would sign if they have the right to accept or reject any offers coming in and DA said that was holding the club to ransom...That may have been just my interpretation though. Ainley and Kirk would be better off staying in order to get stronger and to play more league games and not doing that with someone else as some have found out is not going to help their career.

    Jones should be grateful he was still getting paid for a year off, try doing that in any other job. I suspect he wil be signing an extension in July when nobody comes in to take the risk of a prone injury player and paying north of 300 grand too..Of course they still may do so..

    Did anyone catch Trevor Griffiths comment after the match saying that he too hates winter football and how great it is sitting in the warmth and sunshine and that it will have to change at sometime and so that is two for that proposal..

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    I agree with all that and a woman on P&G yesterday thinks the Board need to make a stand with these players that refuse to sign extensions and not play them and OK that can be seen as counterproductive as not playing them could affect them being signed by someone else and we lose the tribunal fee but that is the risk the board has to take to show all the other academy graduates and everyone really that loyalty cuts both ways and the million pound cost of the academy has to be got from somewhere to give others the same chance as they had and have.

    The point is if they are good enough then someone will come in and sign them and the club won't stand in their way unless its the transfer fee is ridiculously low...

    Reading between the lines which I'm not that good at, suggests that some would sign if they have the right to accept or reject any offers coming in and DA said that was holding the club to ransom...That may have been just my interpretation though. Ainley and Kirk would be better off staying in order to get stronger and to play more league games and not doing that with someone else as some have found out is not going to help their career.

    Jones should be grateful he was still getting paid for a year off, try doing that in any other job. I suspect he wil be signing an extension in July when nobody comes in to take the risk of a prone injury player and paying north of 300 grand too..Of course they still may do so..

    Did anyone catch Trevor Griffiths comment after the match saying that he too hates winter football and how great it is sitting in the warmth and sunshine and that it will have to change at sometime and so that is two for that proposal..
    Totally agree with that assessment Jones injury problems may impact on who his next club will be, but I would like him to sign for Crewe and if his early promise is realised then he will get his move, could be as soon as January, but I think he needs some game time under his belt after missing almost the entire season. I think Kirk will sign another contract but as much as I would like Jones and Ainleyto stay, I think the likelihood will see them move on. Unlike previous seasons they cant hold out to the last minute because this season the transfer window ends when the season kicks off so they will have to make there decisions fairly quickly.

  12. #12
    Ray left it late to sign last season, and Colclough only re-signed the week of the new season the year before so I don't think we should just dismiss Ainley & Jones just yet. I wouldn't be that disappointed to see Jones go, with Wintle, Lowery, Walker and hopefully Green as the central midfielders (plus Ng). He should show loyalty to Crewe, but the Seth Johnson's of this world are long gone. Ainley, however, is an important player and could be the difference between mid-table a PO spot...and then a big transfer fee.

    Kirky will re-sign IMO and I agree with everyone that Zooms & Daggers will leave. Reilly and Dale will provide back-up for Porter & Bowery, but Miller could be useful from the bench.

    This summer we need two full-backs, a goalkeeper (although now Richards has signed that's unlikely) and if Ainley & Kirk don't stay we'll need a winger or two.

  13. #13
    I'm afraid to say that I am not Ainley's greatest fan. OK, he does have a range of ball skills but how often does it lead to anything. I think he is all show and liable to sulk rather than grit his teeth and get on with it. I used criticise Byron Moore when he was here but at least he scored or assisted. CA is easily nudged off the ball and even if he beats two men he then often just loses control. So talented, in a tricky sort of way but not someone who is game changer.
    Having said the above, I do think he is out of position on the wing and needs to be behind the forwards when he could be more penetrative.
    Jones will go and going by Saturday against Morecambe we'll need to replace him with someone similar or there will be no forward-looking aggressive play from midfield.

  14. #14
    I would be disappointed if we lose both Jones and Ainley but we do have more options in midfield than most teams can boast, not just Walker, Lowery and Wintle but also Pickering and NG. All young all still improving I hope we will add Ainley in there along with Kirk but if Ainley does move on then we have plenty of options we just need an experienced old head in there which could be a role for Green, although there will be other options out there, but that's up to Artell.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •