+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next season squad.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    I agree with all that and a woman on P&G yesterday thinks the Board need to make a stand with these players that refuse to sign extensions and not play them and OK that can be seen as counterproductive as not playing them could affect them being signed by someone else and we lose the tribunal fee but that is the risk the board has to take to show all the other academy graduates and everyone really that loyalty cuts both ways and the million pound cost of the academy has to be got from somewhere to give others the same chance as they had and have.

The point is if they are good enough then someone will come in and sign them and the club won't stand in their way unless its the transfer fee is ridiculously low...

Reading between the lines which I'm not that good at, suggests that some would sign if they have the right to accept or reject any offers coming in and DA said that was holding the club to ransom...That may have been just my interpretation though. Ainley and Kirk would be better off staying in order to get stronger and to play more league games and not doing that with someone else as some have found out is not going to help their career.

Jones should be grateful he was still getting paid for a year off, try doing that in any other job. I suspect he wil be signing an extension in July when nobody comes in to take the risk of a prone injury player and paying north of 300 grand too..Of course they still may do so..

Did anyone catch Trevor Griffiths comment after the match saying that he too hates winter football and how great it is sitting in the warmth and sunshine and that it will have to change at sometime and so that is two for that proposal..
    Totally agree with that assessment Jones injury problems may impact on who his next club will be, but I would like him to sign for Crewe and if his early promise is realised then he will get his move, could be as soon as January, but I think he needs some game time under his belt after missing almost the entire season. I think Kirk will sign another contract but as much as I would like Jones and Ainleyto stay, I think the likelihood will see them move on. Unlike previous seasons they cant hold out to the last minute because this season the transfer window ends when the season kicks off so they will have to make there decisions fairly quickly.

Ray left it late to sign last season, and Colclough only re-signed the week of the new season the year before so I don't think we should just dismiss Ainley & Jones just yet. I wouldn't be that disappointed to see Jones go, with Wintle, Lowery, Walker and hopefully Green as the central midfielders (plus Ng). He should show loyalty to Crewe, but the Seth Johnson's of this world are long gone. Ainley, however, is an important player and could be the difference between mid-table a PO spot...and then a big transfer fee.

Kirky will re-sign IMO and I agree with everyone that Zooms & Daggers will leave. Reilly and Dale will provide back-up for Porter & Bowery, but Miller could be useful from the bench.

This summer we need two full-backs, a goalkeeper (although now Richards has signed that's unlikely) and if Ainley & Kirk don't stay we'll need a winger or two.

I'm afraid to say that I am not Ainley's greatest fan. OK, he does have a range of ball skills but how often does it lead to anything. I think he is all show and liable to sulk rather than grit his teeth and get on with it. I used criticise Byron Moore when he was here but at least he scored or assisted. CA is easily nudged off the ball and even if he beats two men he then often just loses control. So talented, in a tricky sort of way but not someone who is game changer.
    Having said the above, I do think he is out of position on the wing and needs to be behind the forwards when he could be more penetrative.
    Jones will go and going by Saturday against Morecambe we'll need to replace him with someone similar or there will be no forward-looking aggressive play from midfield.

I would be disappointed if we lose both Jones and Ainley but we do have more options in midfield than most teams can boast, not just Walker, Lowery and Wintle but also Pickering and NG. All young all still improving I hope we will add Ainley in there along with Kirk but if Ainley does move on then we have plenty of options we just need an experienced old head in there which could be a role for Green, although there will be other options out there, but that's up to Artell.

With Jonah staying, Green possibly coming, Perry being tipped as a 'class centre-half', where does Walker fit in in all this?
    i agree with some on here that he hasn't really had an opportunity to call a position his own but with the players we have that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Thoughts?

Walker is a quality player and he has been unfortunate this season and he has been injured on a couple of occasions. I think DA through him in the deep end playing at centre half, where his best position arguably is in midfield, with Ray, Nolan, Raynes and NG up for the centre half position its difficult for him to stake a place at centre half, although I would probably place him ahead of Raynes. In midfield its even more difficult but I think he is decent enough to hold his own in there, personally with the depth we have there and with the signing of Jones I don't see a place for Green and Walker is more of a ball winner and we need someone who is not scared to mix it up in the middle and is comfortable on the ball, some will disagree, but its down to DA to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    personally with the depth we have there and with the signing of Jones I don't see a place for Green and Walker is more of a ball winner and we need someone who is not scared to mix it up in the middle and is comfortable on the ball

Green has proved himself (in less time as well).
    Walker hasn't!!

With Ainley also having signed I really can’t see both Walker and Green lining up together in the Alex midfield. Whilst Ainley is a different type of player to both, Wintle and Jones are similar (as, arguably, are Lowery, Pixie and Ng), so either we don’t need Green, or Walker should be coached into being a centre half.

Nice problem for Big Dave to have, though.

With a midfield squad of Jones, Lowery, Wintle, Ainley, Kirk, Pickering, Walker and potentially Green we have a lot of quality options and an awful lot of depth. Especially when you think Dale might have an impact next season and we have Ng to cover.

Could be a good year!

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    Green has proved himself (in less time as well).
    Walker hasn't!!
    I don't think Walker has been given a sustained run in the team, don't get me wrong Green is a decent player, but we bought Walker for a reason and he is only going to get better if he is playing on a regular basis, he is still young, Green is in the twilight of his career, Green has done well for us and is almost certainly going to be here next season, I just think that Walker is the future along with the other younger players and we still have Dale to come into the team, at what point do you say enough is enough and do we really need that extra player, but you will be happy when Green signs so you don't need to get annoyed over a difference of opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast