+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next season squad.

With all the positive news re contracts this week and the resultant depth in the midfield area . I am rethinking my recruitment shopping list. I still think Green would be a valuable addition, to help the development of the emerging players and to provide some continuity assuming Ainley and Jonah move on at some stage of the season. Given that the board must have pushed the boat out or mortgaged the future income somewhat to finalise these deals I think we could start the season with Ng , Pickering and Nolan as our full back options. Then see how the team evolves before locking in any more players or wages commitment.

Didn’t Artell say that Walker has struggled as part of a two man midfield?

I like Walker and I think he’s been unlucky to play in a side with injuries that have forced him out of position. I’d like to see what a 3 man midfield could do in one of those 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 style formations (with Walker playing a holding role)

While I also like Walker, and thought at the early part of the season that we needed to get him into midfield ASAP, as opposed to CH, I now can't see him getting a game. Who would you leave out of the midfield out of Wintle, Jones, Kirk, Ainley, Greene, lowery, Pickering and possibly even NG? And that's not even allowing for any further recruitment

I don’t see the point of changing formation to accommodate a single player when 4-4-2 has suited us pretty well over the past couple of months.

I like Walker as an option, and it’s true he hasn’t had many chances this season. If he’s going to stay (I know he, like Raynes and Porter are under contract, but we might not stand in their way if they get offers) then, like everyone else, he has to fit into our way of playing. Green certainly does that, although whether signing him is now a top priority is open to question now - he’ll be 36 during the season and starts becoming a greater risk and who do we leave out to play him, Jones, Wintle or Pixie? Nice dilemma for DA.

For me now we need, in order, a RB, a striker, a LB and Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    .... but you will be happy when Green signs so you don't need to get annoyed over a difference of opinion.

Ouch!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123