+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Niall McGinn

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Double jeapordy there Rico. Derailling the thread and slagging off Considine.
    sorry I forgot.Still it’s not as bad as going on about that golfer who blew it in 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    I reckon McGinn has had an injury too many now. Or is at least carrying one this season. Hopefully the latter

No way McGinn has had it as tough as Considine on here. Quite rightly shouldnt have either.

I have given stick on numerous occasions but i have explained why. Hes the most frustrating player ive ever seen in my 30 years watching.
    I think he has had at least as much criticism as Considine has had on here,if you take away the abuse I give Considine then McGinn has definitely had more

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    I think he has had at least as much criticism as Considine has had on here,if you take away the abuse I give Considine then McGinn has definitely had more
    Is McGinn in the NI squad?

He is frustrating at times. During the semi final he made a right chunt of a corner in the first half, not even getting by the first player. Then he floats in an inch perfect corner for the goal. Most talented player we've had in a very long time.
    Oh easily one of the most talented..

He was awful v Hibs. Didnt look interested at all. But he has things like the semi in him. A game has to be going for him for him to turn up(thats what grates me). So maybe the fact we have pretty much sh@te every game this season has hampered him somewhat

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Is McGinn in the NI squad?
    Yes he is.

Why?

So your answer to my question is that I'd need to ask someone who underrates him?

What wonderful insight you have.

Thanks for your input to the discussion.

Lolz
    Deary me, I wasn’t answering your question.
    I was commenting on the sentence after the question.
    I even bolded the part I was responding to.
    How much easier can I make it for you.
    Last edited by afc1903mad; 17-11-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Stupid auto-correct corrections

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Deary me, I wasn’t answering your question.
    I was commenting on the sentence after the question.
    I even bolded the part I was responding to.
    How much easier can I make it for you.
    You really are a plate spinning bellend you said you were answering my question.

He's frustrating at times because we know what he can do when he's on top form - the same could be said of GMS to an extent at times. But realistically, if either of these players were performing at the top of their game week in week out, they wouldn't be with us - they'd be playing their football at a higher level.

McGinn's general consistency over several years has been pretty phenomenal, which is what makes the occasional stinker even worse and more noticeable. Our lack of creative players this season has meant we're depending on him more heavily, so it's more noticeable when he doesn't play well. Having said that, for much of the season we've been punting long balls forward rather than playing through the middle and out wide, so we've really not played to his strengths all that often this season. He's obviously lost a bit of pace as he's got older, but still has the beating of most SPL defenders when he's confident and can produce moments of magic which are beyond most players in our league.

When he's on form he's a match winner.

I think we get him to do too much work, as a workhorse he disappears.

Big Niall fan over the years, I'm one of those who thinks that before his departure he almost always did enough to justify selection even when not on form: making himself available in tight spots and keeping and recycling the ball, tracking back etc. And is a bit special by SPL standards when he is on form.

The worry for me is that his form since returning has been mainly disappointing. I get the impression he's trying to find a new way of playing the game, one that's less dependent on pace - because he's lost a bit? Using his experience and nous to find space, trying to pick out a pass instead of going past someone, working even harder at the defensive side. If that's what he's doing I think the jury's still out on whether he can make the same level of contribution as he used to in that different way. We gave him a 3 year contract, and that could look a poor decision if loss of pace has reduced his effectiveness - he's not going to get any younger or faster.

There are other possible explanations - maybe he's carrying an injury or a slight loss of confidence and he'll soon be going past people again. Not super optimistic though.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast