+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: semi final attendance

semi final attendance

I think it said we had around 8000 fans at the game on Saturday. A pretty poor turn out for the semi final and It got me thinking. How many fans did we have at the 91 cup final. If i can remember correctly we had half of the stadium and it was terracing back then which probably meant a bigger stadium capacity. It looked pretty much a sell out that day.

We had nearly 30,000 - an astonishing number but it was a different era, first final in 30+ years and a non-OF opponent.

Wellin it was just about a sell out in 1991 but you must also remember our first home game of the new season after the cup final I think the attendance was round about 3200. The crowd yesterday was disappointing but when you factor in kick off time,game on two TV channels,last weekend kids off for Easter school holidays I wasn’t surprised. Just hope everyone who was there yesterday and wants a cup final ticket gets one.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    We had nearly 30,000 - an astonishing number but it was a different era, first final in 30+ years and a non-OF opponent.
    I've always wondered just how many in our end that day were actually Motherwell supporters. We all know that day trippers will come out the woodwork for Cup Finals but I would imagine a number of neutrals would have gone along to that type of game.

We had about 6,000 fans at trhe semi finals against Celtic in 1991 if thats anything to go by. Yesterday we took over twice our normal home gate.

As a starting point we had crowds of 10,200 v Falkirk in R4 and 9,000 v Morton in the QF...Falkirk had a much bigger support than Morton but at a guess we had 7-8,000 home fans - surely more than we'd get now. Allowing for all of them, plus regulars who couldn't make it, occasionals and those returning home for the big game, we're probably not far off our recent cup final attendances. That leaves a good 15,000 or whatever who I suspect were locals (mainly OF fans) and neutrals. Lots would wanted to back the town given the circumstances then and given the prices, it wasn't as much of a stretch as currently forking out at least 30 quid to watch a game where you're probably going to see your hated rivals celebrating at Hampden at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    As a starting point we had crowds of 10,200 v Falkirk in R4 and 9,000 v Morton in the QF...Falkirk had a much bigger support than Morton but at a guess we had 7-8,000 home fans - surely more than we'd get now. Allowing for all of them, plus regulars who couldn't make it, occasionals and those returning home for the big game, we're probably not far off our recent cup final attendances. That leaves a good 15,000 or whatever who I suspect were locals (mainly OF fans) and neutrals. Lots would wanted to back the town given the circumstances then and given the prices, it wasn't as much of a stretch as currently forking out at least 30 quid to watch a game where you're probably going to see your hated rivals celebrating at Hampden at the end.
    If I remember right my ticket for the 91 final was £7.

Last edited by Handsome_Devil; 16-04-2018 at 07:42 PM.

We weren't robbed then!

And, we've asked for 13,000 tickets to start with.

In 1991 my monthly salary was £550 so a £7 ticket was 1.27% of my monthly salary. If tickets are £30 this time round it will be 1.21% of my monthly salary..... so is football really that much expensive these days proportionate to wages than it was in 1991. Im not saying its cheap but it appears relative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)