+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our transfer record...

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I mention it because that's all I ever see with Newcastle. Net spend.
    The mackems say that too (funny, that).

I think net spend is the correct figure to look at, especially here when youīre looking at a player like Lukaku. Also, itīs what appears on the books at the end of the year and, therfore, what the club 'feels' in financial terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    Here's our spend and incoming on transfers under Ashley(approx)
    07/08 Spend 18.5m Incoming 11m
    08/09 Spend 30m Incoming 32.25m
    09/10 Spend 1.5m Incoming 25.5m
    10/11 Spend 10m Incoming 35m
    11/12 Spend 23m Incoming 12m
    12/13 Spend 26m Incoming 12.5m
    13/14 Spend 2m Incoming 21m
    14/15 Spend 38m Incoming 21m
    15/16 Spend 75m Incoming 2m
    16/17 Spend 55m Incoming 86m
    17/18 Spend 36m Incoming 26m

Total Spend 315m Incoming 284.25

Net spend over 11 season is 30.75.

Not very good reading is it.
    That depends on how people want to look at it.

Here's our spend and incoming on transfers under Ashley(approx)
    07/08 Spend 18.5m Incoming 11m
    08/09 Spend 30m Incoming 32.25m
    09/10 Spend 1.5m Incoming 25.5m
    10/11 Spend 10m Incoming 35m
    11/12 Spend 23m Incoming 12m
    12/13 Spend 26m Incoming 12.5m
    13/14 Spend 2m Incoming 21m
    14/15 Spend 38m Incoming 21m
    15/16 Spend 75m Incoming 2m
    16/17 Spend 55m Incoming 86m
    17/18 Spend 36m Incoming 26m

Total Spend 315m Incoming 284.25

Net spend over 11 season is 30.75.

Not very good reading is it.
    2015/16 looks great but 09/10 and 13/14, terrible. Itīs interesting to look at the numbers but, of course itīs the players who are bought, and how they perform that really counts. A high price tag doesnīt guarantee a good player and vice-versa (but, I know, it helps!)

It's not really the players that worry me.Its where all the other sources of income have gone.Cant believe he is allowed to get away with it.The so called loan that never gets paid off,should have been paid ten-fold.
    But we are told we should be careful what we wish for when wanting a takeover.

It's not really the players that worry me.Its where all the other sources of income have gone.Cant believe he is allowed to get away with it.The so called loan that never gets paid off,should have been paid ten-fold.
    But we are told we should be careful what we wish for when wanting a takeover.
    The elephant in the room for any PL clubīs finances is wages - they are a huge and ongoing cost (ask Sunlun!)

Considering the last accounts had wages at just under 60 percent of turnover.And turnover was supposedly 127m.Wages are easily paid from TV deals and match day revenue.Loan to the fat one stayed at 129m.For me the fat one has made and will continue to make a tidy sum from the club.
    Some might say why not he bought it.Okay.I would be happy if he re-invested player sales and used TV money every season.
    He doesn't.For me it goes in his pocket.He will be rubbing his hands at the thought Rafa and the players might deliver him a top 10 finish.

Considering the last accounts had wages at just under 60 percent of turnover.And turnover was supposedly 127m.Wages are easily paid from TV deals and match day revenue.Loan to the fat one stayed at 129m.For me the fat one has made and will continue to make a tidy sum from the club.
    Some might say why not he bought it.Okay.I would be happy if he re-invested player sales and used TV money every season.
    He doesn't.For me it goes in his pocket.He will be rubbing his hands at the thought Rafa and the players might deliver him a top 10 finish.
    Trouble is, the way the fat controller thinks might work against us. Look Rafa, we finished 10th/9th whatever it is, so why do we need to spend all this extra money? Thats what worries me,and if that happens Rafa will walk.That might suit 2 on here coz hes s..t anyway, ye knaw.

a chimpionship squad,league one owner and a world class manager........take away the 3rd one and the other two is what we will be left with in the summer......rafa having this squad 10th is like ray charles winning the us masters with a f'ucking branch pulled from a tree at the first tee!

The last thing we need to do is to get into any race to break transfer records.
    If it happens then fair enough but we need to be careful that we don't end up with a spiralling transfer record breaking few seasons ahead where we end up with a squad of high earners and very little gain from it.

We all know what happens when you try to go the extra mile in coaxing players and find that they chose you specifically because you offered more wages. Then you end up with Rodwells.

However, it all depends on he owner and Rafa, assuming Rafa stays on, because on the flip side of what I've said, we could potentially reap rewards.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out in the summer.

Dunno why it said 170m in the OP, that's not what I meant. Anyway, the point was that without spending a lot of money this season we have put ourselves in a remarkable position - and we know it's not down to money. What is left is that it is down to having a great manager. Hats off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)