+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Saying ...

Just Saying ...

... to be in x2 cup finals in a season for a club like ours these days is nothing short of unbelievable. When you consider the teams we had to beat on the way ... Sevco, Aberdeen (twice ), Hearts, Dundee, Ross County and other top end teams, it's absolutely remarkable!
    Could it be - our name's on this Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    ... to be in x2 cup finals in a season for a club like ours these days is nothing short of unbelievable. When you consider the teams we had to beat on the way ... Sevco, Aberdeen (twice ), Hearts, Dundee, Ross County and other top end teams, it's absolutely remarkable!
    Could it be - our name's on this Cup?

If any justice in the world it should be... the amount of times some clubs virtually get byes all the way into the final is incredible... mind you in years gone by we have fallen when presented with absolute gifts ... not like Motherwell to do things the hard way ....

Teams - the yearly squads - get exactly what they deserve but as a club we have more than earned our turn again. Sadly that counts for the square root of diddly squat.

Just googled yon phrase 'square root of diddly squat' ... OED has a new entry on hold. I quote; lowly industrial Scottish town football club defeats far higher profile mob managed by the God 'Brendan'; he who's worshipped by unwashed folk. Seems he was deprived of something known as a double-treble (!).

It utterly infuriates me that the likes of Killie, St.Mirren, St.Johnstone, Ross County, Dundee Utd, Hearts, Aberdeen and even chief bottlers Hibs have managed to lift silverware in recent years whilst we haven't been able to even reach a Quarter Final until this season.

I would love nothing more in football than to see us win silverware again and hope to God that this time next month we will be celebrating doing just that.

It is obviously a tall order as this Celtic team are an excellent side who will be going all out for a double treble but strangely enough I think we have a better chance in this final than we did in 2011 against what was a decidedly poorer Celtic side and we arguably had better players. We have a team that can stifle Celtic and although our battling qualities might not be enough on the day, I have a feeling that they just, just might be so long as we can keep Main, Campbell, Aldred and Carson fully fit. That is a strong spine to have and the team and manager has plenty of character and belief so we do have a realistic, however small, chance of being Scottish Cup holders one month from today. It would be on a par with Skippy Sunday in 2005 and cancelling Rangers 9 in a row party at Ibrox in 1997 if we were to pull this off.

steviex is absolutely correct in that if there is any justice then we will win the Cup as our Cup performance this season, in both Cups, has been phenomenal. Knocking out Aberdeen from both Cups, Ross County in a hard fought tie, Rangers for the first time in something like 60 years, Dundee and Hearts...that is some going and if we prevail on the day then we will have more than deserved it.

I've got nothing against other teams winning, indeed I'm happy enough for everyone to get a turn...it's seeing teams rack up multiple cups since we've won is the sickener for me.

That said, we're not going to end that run in May. There's no point in being a damp squib straight after the semi and come the Monday of the cup final I'll firmly believe because mindless optimism is much more fun the grim reality...but we're not going to beat Celtic. The odds of everything coming together that needs to come together are huge, absolutely huge, and while you have a default 'chance' in any game, there's no logic at all to think it's going to happen.

Celtic are decent by Scottish standards - top 10 post-war, probably - but football is a relative rather than an absolute game and the gap they have to the rest of the country is simply unprecedented, as you'd expect with the equally unprecedented gulf in resources.

There is no doubt that other than “WELL” fans nobody really gives us any hope of beating the “Mighty Celtic” the same thing was said of Wigan Athletic in the FA cup. In 21 games this season when we have scored first we have only lost once and that was against Accies. So if we are to lose then why not lose by having a real go at them and if we score first let’s see how the “Mighty” react COYW

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    I've got nothing against other teams winning, indeed I'm happy enough for everyone to get a turn...it's seeing teams rack up multiple cups since we've won is the sickener for me.

That said, we're not going to end that run in May. There's no point in being a damp squib straight after the semi and come the Monday of the cup final I'll firmly believe because mindless optimism is much more fun the grim reality...but we're not going to beat Celtic. The odds of everything coming together that needs to come together are huge, absolutely huge, and while you have a default 'chance' in any game, there's no logic at all to think it's going to happen.

Celtic are decent by Scottish standards - top 10 post-war, probably - but football is a relative rather than an absolute game and the gap they have to the rest of the country is simply unprecedented, as you'd expect with the equally unprecedented gulf in resources.
    Strange stuff going on here lately! Have you and Lawman done some sort of Hollywood 'person change' film thing (like the early Tom Hanks film, title escapes me just now). LM's turned Happy as Larry, and you've just turned all gloom n doom. Confused.com!

Just googled yon phrase 'square root of diddly squat' ... OED has a new entry on hold. I quote; lowly industrial Scottish town football club defeats far higher profile mob managed by the God 'Brendan'; he who's worshipped by unwashed folk. Seems he was deprived of something known as a double-treble (!).

Strange stuff going on here lately! Have you and Lawman done some sort of Hollywood 'person change' film thing (like the early Tom Hanks film, title escapes me just now). LM's turned Happy as Larry, and you've just turned all gloom n doom. Confused.com!
    Ha ha...I prefer as realistic as always!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)