+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone on BLADESmad

Wilder has done a tremendous job.

A 10% improvement next season will see us knocking on the door again.

Some excellent posts above that put really good points across but can I throw in my threepenneth?

This is the season that brought us Duffys bounceslayer goal, memories of which will be passed on from generation to generation as will thoughts of Brooks nutmegging Hunt. It wasn’t just the nutmeg, it was the sight of Hunt, an experienced Championship defender red in the face with exertion, puffing his cheeks out as he tried to recover and catch up with Brooks who in reality had already left him for dead.

It was the season that we finally avenged the Boxing Day massacre, thrashing Wednesday on their own turf and not losing to them on ours. We beat our other arch rivals Leeds home and away and the goals from Brooks and Sharp will live long in the memory as will the two beauties from Evans last week.

We had a player who scored 4 goals in one match for the first time since the eighties. Leon was simply unplayable during that period.

We beat Wolves and Boro at home and almost beat Cardiff.

It would be remiss not to mention the low points. The injury to Coutts affected the team badly and must have had an awful affect on the lad himself. Then there is the fact that for large parts of the season we looked a shoe in for the play offs. I drove home from Barnsley feeling gutted and drove home after Millwall feeling worse.

But it is less than two years since Adkins lap of shame with morale at it’s very lowest and the Club looking a shambles. To think that against a background of warring owners and far less money to spend than most of the teams around us I felt gutted because we had only drawn against Millwall and failed to move in to sixth spot, shows the miracle Chris has created. But with it he has also created massive expectations and this explains why we all feel a bit down at the moment rather than enjoying the memories above. But look at those wonderful memories in isolation and it has been a very good first season back.

They'll get an ovation from me next week and at the seasons end regardless.

What they won't get from me is an "Ooh haven't we done well though?" cop out, as if it excuses every shortcoming. We aren't "little plucky Sheffield United" just here to make up the numbers and who should just be glad to be in the division, we are a professional football club of significant enough stature to be competing for tangible success, and it's time that many supporters realised that.

Yes, I myself have been immensely proud of our past efforts against the odds, but I'd rather not continue to "fail heroically".

Perfect summing up and so correct. The general consensus on S2.

I'll stay behind next week to show my appreciation for their efforts unlike 2 yrs ago,over the season I'd say I've really enjoyed watching us last yr up to Nov was some of the best football I've ever seen us play,of late though I find myself getting more frustrated more than anything as we stopped doing what we did good and reverted to slow laborious build up play allowing teams to organise themselves against us,we've stopped hunting in packs to retrieve the ball and the possession football only exists in our own half as we knock it back and forth across the back 4 Adkins style before hitting 60/40 balls 40 or 50 yds up or across field, I don't know why we stopped doing all the good stuff it's not all purely down to losing coutts although he has been a big loss and obviously affected the team,our strike force has bagged 30 goals which isn't bad but no one would argue it should have been about 50,we've always got a goal in us at both ends great for the both teams to score coupon but the fact we need to score 2 to win puts more pressure on,all this frustration comes from the fact it's predominantly the same set of players who did everything so well early season barring one or two. Having said all that they've given us some great moments doin the double over Leeds and bouncing day,Duffy will go into folklore along with bobby Davison. Next season will be tougher the teams coming down will be better than this season those with the money will spend again trying to improve,this season was a free hit for the team it probably is the worst championship for a while and an opportunity feels like it's been missed,especially as a team 20 points worse than us last season are still in with a good shout of getting there whilst our hopes hang by a thread and as usual are reliant on other teams faltering,but we are goin to finish higher than I thought we would pre season so I can't complain too much and we're light years away from that team I walked out on 2yrs ago,looking forward to next season though let's hope the board sorts itself out and gives us reason for optimism
    Last edited by bulmer1889; 18-04-2018 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    I'll stay behind next week to show my appreciation for their efforts unlike 2 yrs ago,over the season I'd say I've really enjoyed watching us last yr up to Nov was some of the best football I've ever seen us play,of late though I find myself getting more frustrated more than anything as we stopped doing what we did good and reverted to slow laborious build up play allowing teams to organise themselves against us,we've stopped hunting in packs to retrieve the ball and the possession football only exists in our own half as we knock it back and forth across the back 4 Adkins style before hitting 60/40 balls 40 or 50 yds up or across field, I don't know why we stopped doing all the good stuff it's not all purely down to losing coutts although he has been a big loss and obviously affected the team,our strike force has bagged 30 goals which isn't bad but no one would argue it should have been about 50,we've always got a goal in us at both ends great for the both teams to score coupon but the fact we need to score 2 to win puts more pressure on,all this frustration comes from the fact it's predominantly the same set of players who did everything so well early season barring one or two. Having said all that they've given us some great moments doin the double over Leeds and bouncing day,Duffy will go into folklore along with bobby Davison. Next season will be tougher the teams coming down will be better than this season those with the money will spend again trying to improve,this season was a free hit for the team it probably is the worst championship for a while and an opportunity feels like it's been missed,especially as a team 20 points worse than us last season are still in with a good shout of getting there whilst our hopes hang by a thread and as usual are reliant on other teams faltering,but we are goin to finish higher than I thought we would pre season so I can't complain too much and we're light years away from that team I walked out on 2yrs ago,looking forward to next season though let's hope the board sorts itself out and gives us reason for optimism
    That Scunny "performance" under Pos Nige was possibly the worst i've seen at BDBL since the Port Vale debacle when Heath left BDBL.I'm disapointed how we've missed chances and conceded sloppy goals.Yes our forms dipped since december but let's not forget some clubs had more wonga to buy players in't January window,i never thought we'd struggle this season and i thought a mid table finish was/shud be our target at the start.I've no idea what next season will bring but i have enjoyed this season.UTCB

all very good assesments of the season but with the squad of players we have we have massively overachieved this season we would have been ecstatic with a mid table finish last august and but for the coutts injury im absolutely certain we would have made the top 6 comfortably i just hope everybody stays back next saturday to give the players and all the staff a great ovation for a fantastic effort this season utb ftp coyrawwizzaarrddss !!

It's been a great season for us
    Grotty old us.

Bristol City, Millwall, Bolton, Preston, QPR, Brentford, Reading, Barnsley, Burton Albion, Reading, Ipswich, Norwich,

Who'd have thought we could not only be able to compete with such giants but we'd actually finish above most of them

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    That Scunny "performance" under Pos Nige was possibly the worst i've seen at BDBL since the Port Vale debacle when Heath left BDBL.I'm disapointed how we've missed chances and conceded sloppy goals.Yes our forms dipped since december but let's not forget some clubs had more wonga to buy players in't January window,i never thought we'd struggle this season and i thought a mid table finish was/shud be our target at the start.I've no idea what next season will bring but i have enjoyed this season.UTCB
    That was the first time in years that I decided not to go to our last home game Rod. I just knew what would happen and that it would be embarrassing.

Whatever happens in the next couple of games I’ll stay behind after PNE and thank Wilder and the players for a decent and I the main entertaining season.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    That was the first time in years that I decided not to go to our last home game Rod. I just knew what would happen and that it would be embarrassing.

Whatever happens in the next couple of games I’ll stay behind after PNE and thank Wilder and the players for a decent and I the main entertaining season.
    Surely they will save the lap of honour until after the home play off semi final Mr G?

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    It's been a great season for us
    Grotty old us.

Bristol City, Millwall, Bolton, Preston, QPR, Brentford, Reading, Barnsley, Burton Albion, Reading, Ipswich, Norwich,

Who'd have thought we could not only be able to compete with such giants but we'd actually finish above most of them
    Nobody with most players straight out of the lower leagues and minimal investment compared with most other clubs, which is why it’s been a very good and unexpected season. I won’t let the board distract away from what Wilder’s achieved despite them.

By the way, you forgot to mention the Pigs, Boro, Derby and Leeds on your list. Why would that be? Different gravy if you look at it that way eh JJ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast