Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Leeds United v Barnsley April 1990

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    10,943

    Leeds United v Barnsley April 1990

    We weren't a million miles from the situation we face today going up the road on a tuesday night to face Leeds who were going for automatic promotion at the time .

    Sterland , Fairclough , Whyte , Strachan , Batty , Speed , Chapman and Vinnie Jones , we had our work cut out to say the least .

    Thirty odd thousand Leeds fans and just 1500 tickets available for us , it didn't bode well .

    Two days booked off work and a team of us departed Barnsley train station at lunchtime for an afternoon pre match supping in Wakefield and on to Leeds at tea time .

    The atmosphere inside Elland Road that night was intimidating , noisy and passionate , just how the old Bfc liked it .

    We fell a goal behing bang on half time when Fairclogh headed home a Sterland cross , we were getting battered to be honest , never in the game but somehow clung on .

    Leeds couldn't finish us off , poor finishing , luck , Clive Baker , the woodwork and last gasp defending kept us in it .

    With 20 minutes to go Machin brought on Archdeacon and Brendan O'Connell , within minutes they had both scored to put us 2-1 up , Unbelievable !!!!

    For the last 15 minutes we clung on , Leeds through everything at us but somehow we survived for a famous win and relegation was fought off the following saturday .

    I can still see Gerry Taggart after the game dancing in front of the away enclosure with his bandage on his left hand , "'oooh Gerry Gerry " , great character Gerry .

    They kept us in the ground a good half hour afterwards which allowed Leeds finest to throw everything over the wall at us behind the gates , bricks , bottles , coins , we didn't care .

    Cared a bit more navigating back to Leeds station after the game though , we split up and caught buses and met back up at the station .

    Went to Jap Whispers afterwards in town and had a skinfull till 2am .

    Happy days .

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,687
    That Barnsley side had some bottle and skill though Animal

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    40,647
    Yes and we wore our navy blue away kit for that midweek match at Leeds, which one are we wearing this Satdy by the way ?.
    I was at the previous game against Bournemouth and of all the players that day, Trevor Aylott scored the only goal against us and there was a real feeling of relegation that evening as we'd dropped into the bottom 3, with just three games to go.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    15,171
    Normally it's Red shirts Black shorts theer

    Animal wa it that neet they purrus lnt bottom corner ov Lowfields rooard stand ? If fit wa ? A gorra bart 2 quid pickd off floor at end , allus bin generous that lot

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    40,647
    We don't have any black shorts though, I don't think. So its either mix the red shirts with the dark green or navy shorts, or go with the all navy kit. I don't like the idea of red n green, but that might cheer Jose up as its what his own nation Portugal play in!.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    15,171
    If we play Red shirts ,Blue shorts wi cud bi Spain forra day

    Red shirts , Green shorts , Portugal forra day

    A like both , good strong colors !! Am gooin fo Spain on setdi

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    10,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Normally it's Red shirts Black shorts theer

    Animal wa it that neet they purrus lnt bottom corner ov Lowfields rooard stand ? If fit wa ? A gorra bart 2 quid pickd off floor at end , allus bin generous that lot
    Aye a little pen closest to their south stand , thing was , if the police had kept us all on the terracing before letting us out instead of that quadrant behind that gate nobody could have chucked owt at us .

    The war abart 8 on us on that little venture over the border but we split up into two 's after , me and my mate walked out crossed that road , walked up the hillside street and caught a bus up on top , abart 15 minutes walk .

    One or two said they'd had some glares but nowt other than that when we met back up in leeds station after .

    We didn't do too bad considering the weren't any mobile phones then .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Aye a little pen closest to their south stand , thing was , if the police had kept us all on the terracing before letting us out instead of that quadrant behind that gate nobody could have chucked owt at us .

    The war abart 8 on us on that little venture over the border but we split up into two 's after , me and my mate walked out crossed that road , walked up the hillside street and caught a bus up on top , abart 15 minutes walk .

    One or two said they'd had some glares but nowt other than that when we met back up in leeds station after .

    We didn't do too bad considering the weren't any mobile phones then .
    Many a good night in Whispers wi Brendan, Gerry and Charlie Bishop.
    When the club clamped down they used to have a cheeky afternoon session in *****tone Club, big mates with Steve Hill son of Ned and Edna who had Hills Building Supplies on Wakefield Road.

    Din't Gerry leave us for Bolton ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    40,647
    If you had to mingle with them again, can you all do a Leeds accent ?.

    Btw I always thought he left us for Bolton in '95, I might be wrong. We could say that Arry De Zeuuw eventually became the 'new' Taggart when he joined us later on that year.
    Last edited by Acido; 17-04-2018 at 06:39 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    10,943
    Quote Originally Posted by red flagged View Post
    Many a good night in Whispers wi Brendan, Gerry and Charlie Bishop.
    When the club clamped down they used to have a cheeky afternoon session in *****tone Club, big mates with Steve Hill son of Ned and Edna who had Hills Building Supplies on Wakefield Road.

    Din't Gerry leave us for Bolton ?
    Leicester I think and then on to Bolton .

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    10,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    If you had to mingle with them again, can you all do a Leeds accent ?.
    Well back in 98 and following our 2-1 PL defeat we walked back into Leeds city centre with all their fans , you walk at the side of the river aire for a bit , quite scenic to be honest .

    Had a few jars in The Scarborough near the train station and jumped on a train about 7pm .

    Anyway we decided to get off at Wakefield and have a few there before going back to tarn , what followed was unbelievable .

    We are walking up from Kirkgate Station and got near to the Ridings Centre , all the traffic stopped and there must have bin 40 or 50 Leeds and Barnsley lads having a right ding dong in the middle of the road , I've seen plenty of this stuff before but this was summat else .

    Couldn't believe what I was seeing because it must have bin 7.30 pm by this time and we weren't even in Leeds or Barnsley .

    We just stood and watched from a safe distance of course before nipping into the nearest boozer .

    I can remember reading in the Yorkshire Post a few months later plenty got nicked for it , banning orders galore and a few did time I believe .

    Proper mad that .

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    40,647
    I seem to remember after that win at Leeds, we drew 2-2 with fellow strugglers West Brom (that meant we didnt get revenge for our 7-0 loss there that season), and then the 0-1 win at fellow strugglers Middlesbrough clinched our safety. It didnt really matter in the last match, yet another predicable loss for us away at Portsmouth.
    Mel Machin worked wonders throughout 1990, where did it all go wrong eh.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,907
    Easy answer to that acido THE PLAN

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    40,647
    The 'Plan' as far back as that eh Ali, well its an interesting thought.
    Yes I agree we have always been a selling club but its just getting or rather has got ridiculous now how much we do that.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16,362
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    Easy answer to that acido THE PLAN
    It was all going so well before the plan as well

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    10,943
    Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    It was all going so well before the plan as well
    We've still ended up at exactly the same place as we did before the plan .

    The only difference is people have left the club in various capacities and circumstances a dam sight richer than when they arrived .

    The fans are still seeing a club struggling to win football games .

    That's capitalism for you , to enable some people to attain wealth means some other people have to remain poor .

    That said the only profit to be made from some of the current crop would be to bin them and get them off the wage bill .

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Well back in 98 and following our 2-1 PL defeat we walked back into Leeds city centre with all their fans , you walk at the side of the river aire for a bit , quite scenic to be honest .

    Had a few jars in The Scarborough near the train station and jumped on a train about 7pm .

    Anyway we decided to get off at Wakefield and have a few there before going back to tarn , what followed was unbelievable .

    We are walking up from Kirkgate Station and got near to the Ridings Centre , all the traffic stopped and there must have bin 40 or 50 Leeds and Barnsley lads having a right ding dong in the middle of the road , I've seen plenty of this stuff before but this was summat else .

    Couldn't believe what I was seeing because it must have bin 7.30 pm by this time and we weren't even in Leeds or Barnsley .

    We just stood and watched from a safe distance of course before nipping into the nearest boozer .

    I can remember reading in the Yorkshire Post a few months later plenty got nicked for it , banning orders galore and a few did time I believe .

    Proper mad that .
    That was an interesting day

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn Thomas vs stum View Post
    That was an interesting day
    It certainly was
    Last edited by EastStandRed; 18-04-2018 at 04:52 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,687
    I reckon there'll be some trouble this weekend anall. More at stake

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I reckon there'll be some trouble this weekend anall. More at stake
    It’ll be nothing like that day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •