+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leeds United v Barnsley April 1990

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Leeds United v Barnsley April 1990

We weren't a million miles from the situation we face today going up the road on a tuesday night to face Leeds who were going for automatic promotion at the time .

Sterland , Fairclough , Whyte , Strachan , Batty , Speed , Chapman and Vinnie Jones , we had our work cut out to say the least .

Thirty odd thousand Leeds fans and just 1500 tickets available for us , it didn't bode well .

Two days booked off work and a team of us departed Barnsley train station at lunchtime for an afternoon pre match supping in Wakefield and on to Leeds at tea time .

The atmosphere inside Elland Road that night was intimidating , noisy and passionate , just how the old Bfc liked it .

We fell a goal behing bang on half time when Fairclogh headed home a Sterland cross , we were getting battered to be honest , never in the game but somehow clung on .

Leeds couldn't finish us off , poor finishing , luck , Clive Baker , the woodwork and last gasp defending kept us in it .

With 20 minutes to go Machin brought on Archdeacon and Brendan O'Connell , within minutes they had both scored to put us 2-1 up , Unbelievable !!!!

For the last 15 minutes we clung on , Leeds through everything at us but somehow we survived for a famous win and relegation was fought off the following saturday .

I can still see Gerry Taggart after the game dancing in front of the away enclosure with his bandage on his left hand , "'oooh Gerry Gerry " , great character Gerry .

They kept us in the ground a good half hour afterwards which allowed Leeds finest to throw everything over the wall at us behind the gates , bricks , bottles , coins , we didn't care .

Cared a bit more navigating back to Leeds station after the game though , we split up and caught buses and met back up at the station .

Went to Jap Whispers afterwards in town and had a skinfull till 2am .

Happy days .

That Barnsley side had some bottle and skill though Animal

Yes and we wore our navy blue away kit for that midweek match at Leeds, which one are we wearing this Satdy by the way ?.
    I was at the previous game against Bournemouth and of all the players that day, Trevor Aylott scored the only goal against us and there was a real feeling of relegation that evening as we'd dropped into the bottom 3, with just three games to go.

Normally it's Red shirts Black shorts theer

Animal wa it that neet they purrus lnt bottom corner ov Lowfields rooard stand ? If fit wa ? A gorra bart 2 quid pickd off floor at end , allus bin generous that lot

We don't have any black shorts though, I don't think. So its either mix the red shirts with the dark green or navy shorts, or go with the all navy kit. I don't like the idea of red n green, but that might cheer Jose up as its what his own nation Portugal play in!.

If we play Red shirts ,Blue shorts wi cud bi Spain forra day

Red shirts , Green shorts , Portugal forra day

A like both , good strong colors !! Am gooin fo Spain on setdi

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Normally it's Red shirts Black shorts theer

Animal wa it that neet they purrus lnt bottom corner ov Lowfields rooard stand ? If fit wa ? A gorra bart 2 quid pickd off floor at end , allus bin generous that lot
    Aye a little pen closest to their south stand , thing was , if the police had kept us all on the terracing before letting us out instead of that quadrant behind that gate nobody could have chucked owt at us .

The war abart 8 on us on that little venture over the border but we split up into two 's after , me and my mate walked out crossed that road , walked up the hillside street and caught a bus up on top , abart 15 minutes walk .

One or two said they'd had some glares but nowt other than that when we met back up in leeds station after .

We didn't do too bad considering the weren't any mobile phones then .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Aye a little pen closest to their south stand , thing was , if the police had kept us all on the terracing before letting us out instead of that quadrant behind that gate nobody could have chucked owt at us .

The war abart 8 on us on that little venture over the border but we split up into two 's after , me and my mate walked out crossed that road , walked up the hillside street and caught a bus up on top , abart 15 minutes walk .

One or two said they'd had some glares but nowt other than that when we met back up in leeds station after .

We didn't do too bad considering the weren't any mobile phones then .
    Many a good night in Whispers wi Brendan, Gerry and Charlie Bishop.
    When the club clamped down they used to have a cheeky afternoon session in *****tone Club, big mates with Steve Hill son of Ned and Edna who had Hills Building Supplies on Wakefield Road.

Din't Gerry leave us for Bolton ?

If you had to mingle with them again, can you all do a Leeds accent ?.

Btw I always thought he left us for Bolton in '95, I might be wrong. We could say that Arry De Zeuuw eventually became the 'new' Taggart when he joined us later on that year.
    Last edited by Acido; 17-04-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by red flagged View Post
    Many a good night in Whispers wi Brendan, Gerry and Charlie Bishop.
    When the club clamped down they used to have a cheeky afternoon session in *****tone Club, big mates with Steve Hill son of Ned and Edna who had Hills Building Supplies on Wakefield Road.

Din't Gerry leave us for Bolton ?
    Leicester I think and then on to Bolton .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast