+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Killie v the dons

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    I'd imagine we pay the same in wages and transfers as Maribor and Apollon.

Mcinnes has also said himself that he wants to "progress" to the group stages so it's clearly achievable. Jimmy Calderwood managed it!
    Bookmark it.
    I'd agree with your post on the transfer fees.
    these clubs do operate on a low budget.
    That said they also have a larger market place to attract players from as opposed to the inflated UK market and location we operate in.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    I thought that of the 4 off 3rd round games, only Maribor we deserved to go through.

Real Sociedad was by far the best team we came up against.
    Kairat was close but thought they just shaded it.
    Apollon were better than us and I knew it would be tough after the 1st leg and unfortunate because IIRC we had chances in the away leg.
    I don't disagree with your assessment of how the games went, but rather my point is that other than Sociedad the other three games were against teams of a very similar standard and definitely winnable games with the players we had on the park so to come out 0 from 3 was both frustrating and disappointing and all three go in the missed opportunity category

We are members of the European Union

Same marketplace if we choose to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    I don't disagree with your assessment of how the games went, but rather my point is that other than Sociedad the other three games were against teams of a very similar standard and definitely winnable games with the players we had on the park so to come out 0 from 3 was both frustrating and disappointing and all three go in the missed opportunity category
    I agree, but wouldn't put them in the bottled it category either

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    We are members of the European Union

Same marketplace if we choose to use it
    Yes true, but taking Maribor as an example, the number of countries and population around Slovenia is potentially an easier and larger market to attract players from

Kairat , McGinn gives the ball away and they score. Then they fall all over the place to waste time and the Ref just lets it happen. Another 5 mins and we`d have scored ,......probably. Too cautious from the beginning . ( Wel, it IS a McInnes team !! )

Maribor. Cheats. Pure and simple. But ultimately we beat ourselves by not scoring . ( Ball in the net before Ref awarded penalty. Double Cheat !! )

Appollon. Start of this seasons tombola. With a first eleven that`s never been settled. Very Frustrating.

Real Sociedad. We were played off the park. But in the First leg, if we`d been a bit less cautious , we could probably have got an away goal. Second leg at Pittodrie, seemed like we could have done it. They weren`t sure whether to hold out, but finally decided to go score a goal to kill it off. And they did !! It was a bit like if we`d played Liverpool a year later than 81 we could have grown up enough to beat them . Usual If`s and But`s tho.....

Still all comes down to the infamous McInnes "too cautious " Team set up tho. So hope he will learn for next season,.......holding my breath , not listening to Mason , nah , nah . Can`t hear you !! ( Yeah I know. it`s unlikely to change )

Yes, agreed but to this day I will never know why Rooney hit his penalty down the middle against Maribor instead of in the corner like he usually does. Only time he has tried that and I think the only penalty he has ever missed for us

Yes, agreed but to this day I will never know why Rooney hit his penalty down the middle against Maribor instead of in the corner like he usually does. Only time he has tried that and I think the only penalty he has ever missed for us
    It was in front of their 'fanatics' wasn't it? And if I remember right was there not a bit of a wait before he was allowed to take it? I think he got hit by nerves and tried to over compensate by going for the cheeky down the middle option. Obviously the wrong choice.

For what it is worth I would say that Cyprus lot were the only really disappointment from all our Euro games. Fairly chuffed with most of the other results. Our first 2 years back in Europe were very especially impressive imo.

Aye, a mystery that one. Goalie stopped it with his legs didn`t he ? There was an awful long delay till it was taken. In front of the Maribor zoomer end . But it`s never seemed to bother him before.

Thing is, McGinn had stroked it into the net right away asfter the goalie had pulled Rooney down. You`d have thought the Ref would have just blown for goal and have played advantage. I`m told that new season rules meant he didn`t have to send the Goalie off . But event in the second half surely porved that the cnut blew for a penalty deliberately to avoid to the right thing.

I`m not paranoid. But I was there. And some of the fouls given against us in that 2nd half were crazy. The Maribor defenders dstopped even pretending to win a ball in the air. Just fell down clutching their faces knowing they`d get a foul. One time their Goalie went for a high ball and bumped into his own defender , anf the Ref blew for a foul. There wasn`t an Aberdeen player within 5 yards of them. ( We`d given up going for 50/50 balls by then !! ) total barstewards.

Bookmark it.
    I'd agree with your post on the transfer fees.
    these clubs do operate on a low budget.
    That said they also have a larger market place to attract players from as opposed to the inflated UK market and location we operate in.
    Bookmark what?

I guess Mcinnes needs to look at the European market then eh?

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast