+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When Should we upgrade the stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    I don't agree with the comments about Wigan's ground being too big for them.
    They got 9k because they were playing unattractive opposition (RUFC) in Div One.
    They've attracted 15-16k in the c'ship before when they weren't in a relegation season.
    That would look much healthier.

Could we we do that with a solid C'ship team? Not sure
    It was top of the League versus 4th at a time when they needed the points for an automatic promotion spot. It was a poor show

Quote Originally Posted by sCORaFU View Post
    I may have misheard but aren't they the 30th richest club in the world? And to think, they were deducted 17 points with us in 2008.
    Smart Businessman sCORaFU.
    He bought Bournemouth and then not long after sold part shares to fund a new ground.
    Not sure who he sold his shares to, may have been an American Investment Company.

Realestate in Dorset is worth more than in South Yorkshire.

The 8K season ticket thing is simply just marketing from TS to try and sell more tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Smart Businessman sCORaFU.
    He bought Bournemouth and then not long after sold part shares to fund a new ground.
    Not sure who he sold his shares to, may have been an American Investment Company.

Realestate in Dorset is worth more than in South Yorkshire.
    Tell me about it, I rent in Poole as I cannot afford to buy.
    Bournemouth have recently bought Canford Heath Golf Club (2x18, 1x9 big plot) to develop as their new training ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    It was top of the League versus 4th at a time when they needed the points for an automatic promotion spot. It was a poor show
    Indeed and I go back to my point earlier that it was an unattractive fixture in a poor league.
    Wigan vs Leeds next season and their ground will look very healthy.

To be honest i thought 1300 from us was a bit poor. It ain't that far, great view, decent cost of ticket, only 5 matches to go and we needed more points before that match. I think it was because quite a few thought we'd get spanked 3 or 4 nil so gave it a miss. Oh ye of little faith because those that didn't go missed one of the performances of the season

Atmosphere is not that great with 12,000, increase the capacity and it would be even worse.

The comparison between us and Bournemouth is an interesting one.

Traditionally the two towns are very different in their makeup and that knocks on to the core support.

Here at Rotherham the core support is historically based on the working man employed in generally heavy industry, in Bournemouth it isn’t. So that knocks on as to who you target to grow the core support, is it more “working class man” or do you aim at “prawn sandwich brigade” as Bournemouth do?

I think our chance of significantly growing core support is limited, it’s little old Rovrum, a bit of a backwater thats recently been associated with unsavoury events, it’s not attractive, it’s on the whole a run down town. Effectively a hard product to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    The comparison between us and Bournemouth is an interesting one.

Traditionally the two towns are very different in their makeup and that knocks on to the core support.

Here at Rotherham the core support is historically based on the working man employed in generally heavy industry, in Bournemouth it isn’t. So that knocks on as to who you target to grow the core support, is it more “working class man” or do you aim at “prawn sandwich brigade” as Bournemouth do?

I think our chance of significantly growing core support is limited, it’s little old Rovrum, a bit of a backwater thats recently been associated with unsavoury events, it’s not attractive, it’s on the whole a run down town. Effectively a hard product to sell.
    Most of football fans in Bournemouth still support Man United or Arsenal though even though they do have a Premier League team ATM.

Most football fans in Rotherham don't support Rotherham either, so really the problem is the same regarding growing the fanbase.

I may be wrong, but wasn't the the stadium designed as a modular build were we can extend to 16K then 20k. The first faze would be to build a second tier on the family stand and raise the roof so it's all at the same level. The second faze is to put in additional seats in at the back north a south stand.

So if we do get back into the championship I think a 16k stadiums for us would be about right, however what would it be like in our current league. I suppose we could just close off the new top tier and it'll be back to as it is now but someone would be left with a hole in their bank balance.

It's a tough call for me and can see both sides of the story.

Thing is it’s a proven fact that the better a club does the more fans turn up, just look at Wigan they are roughly getting same crowd as us but I guarantee you next year it will be well over 11k (which is how much home fans we can hold, providing we have people siting on their own as well to fill up the odd seat)

In league 1 there is no need to upgrade I agree however like I said on my original in championship there are a few clubs who we should milk money from lol

Also another point say we do sell 8000 season tickets, that’s will be just under 3000 normal tickets per match to sell (it’s not a lot)

Also I get people would rather spend it on the team but can we compete with clubs in transfer window with revenue we have now? Even if we got a rich billionaire in we still couldn’t compete due to fair play rules, with out a bigger crowd I doubt we would have money

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast