+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: o/t Wellgate cordoned off

I too was looking at historical homicide figures, but Kerr has helpfully pointed out they're not much use so I won't hunt them down again.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    The odd thing is, most of the perverts prosecuted for grooming, rape etc appear to have asian sounding names.
    This is a phenomenon called confirmation bias. It's when people hold a strong world view, and they seek information that confirms their existing beliefs, and ignore and disregard information that conflicts with it, leading to a distorted perspective.

When I read the news, I see it differently, I see names from all background prosecuted for these crimes. I recognise there is a problem with a particular type of grooming in gangs from the asian community, but that child abuse is widespread from all walks of life.

Do you honestly think you have an objective world view?

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    For people who say crime was lower in the past, have a look the Advertiser from the 60s, 70s, 80s and compare them to now, there's a lot more crime now and it's more serious crime as well.
    This is bonkers. You're seriously suggesting a) people go and look at decades old copies of the advetiser, and that b) this is a reasonable method to compare crime rates? You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    I too was looking at historical homicide figures, but Kerr has helpfully pointed out they're not much use so I won't hunt them down again.

This is a phenomenon called confirmation bias. It's when people hold a strong world view, and they seek information that confirms their existing beliefs, and ignore and disregard information that conflicts with it, leading to a distorted perspective.

When I read the news, I see it differently, I see names from all background prosecuted for these crimes. I recognise there is a problem with a particular type of grooming in gangs from the asian community, but that child abuse is widespread from all walks of life.

This is bonkers. You're seriously suggesting a) people go and look at decades old copies of the advetiser, and that b) this is a reasonable method to compare crime rates? You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you.
    Beginning to agree with Monty that GF is some sort of 5th columnist. Nobody could be this daft.

Why is it not reasonable?

You think their reporters didn't report crimes back then? Of course they did but it's all cats stuck in trees and the odd burglary.

Now it's rapes and murders, there's no comparison.

Could be worse, could be the Hackney Gazette, how many stabbings are they having to report every week? Or have they just given up as it's no longer newsworthy?

I too was looking at historical homicide figures, but Kerr has helpfully pointed out they're not much use so I won't hunt them down

Well im not the sharpest knife in the drawer either..so you dont believe what was reported at the time ?..ostrich springs to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by millavanilla View Post
    Well im not the sharpest knife in the drawer either..so you dont believe what was reported at the time ?..ostrich springs to mind...
    Not at all, but hardly good scientific enquiry is it? GF may be right but that is not the point.

John thinks that Rotherham is so great that he moved darn sarf years ago and is currently trying to get as far away from the UK as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    John thinks that Rotherham is so great that he moved darn sarf years ago and is currently trying to get as far away from the UK as possible.
    I think most of us agree that Rotherham has its problems. I remember London Millers fanzine which always had a front page line which said 'for those who love Rotherham, but not enough to live there'.

Quote Originally Posted by sickly_child View Post
    I think most of us agree that Rotherham has its problems. I remember London Millers fanzine which always had a front page line which said 'for those who love Rotherham, but not enough to live there'.
    Sounds like a quote from Kerr does that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123